Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ordering New Cali

You could add an alloy wheel as a spare with your original tyre size, and if going for a tow bar , you can have a rear door spoiler . If you opt for the discover media nav system it comes with appt connect

Having had 23 weeks added to our build date 8-(, now revisiting choice of options (dangerous I know!). Didn't choose MFSW previously, should we reconsider?

Having had 23 weeks added to our build date 8-(, now revisiting choice of options (dangerous I know!). Didn't choose MFSW previously, should we reconsider?
For the extra money I can live without it. All be it handy I'm not fussed

I didn't spec it and wish that i did. Have found myself pressing the blank space on the steering wheel!
Its either for music, mfd or answering the phone. Mfd and cruise are on the sticks and I found the steering wheel controls counter intuitive. Certainly compared to our non vw car which has nailed the steering wheel controls.
I typically listen to the radio so no skip button needed and you can answer a call of u decide off the stick

Just received email from our dealer, according to the price list it appeared we could have the reversing camera without the sensors, that suited me fine - personally not impressed with the sensors.
Apparently you have to have the sensors to have the reversing camera, thats another £400+. My dilema is will having this reduce insurance premiums more than having neither.
What is your experience on this.

My dilema is will having this reduce insurance premiums more than having neither.
What is your experience on this.
if you get a quote from the Caravan Club then they specifically ask on the quotation whether you have a reversing camera - that tells me it affects their view of your risk profile, and therefore the premium you pay. Not surprising I don't think given how useful it is in avoiding low speed prangs and damage whilst manoeuvring.

if you get a quote from the Caravan Club then they specifically ask on the quotation whether you have a reversing camera - that tells me it affects their view of your risk profile, and therefore the premium you pay. Not surprising I don't think given how useful it is in avoiding low speed prangs and damage whilst manoeuvring.
I wonder how many insurers are giving further reductions for city braking?

Both Caravan club( reversing camera) & Comfort insurance( rear parking sensors or camera) give discount for said items.

Both Caravan club( reversing camera) & Comfort insurance( rear parking sensors or camera) give discount for said items.
I wasn't asked with C&C but then I got a good deal anyway for no Milage limit and £100 no claims discount plus new for old. And it was cheaper for 2nd year.

I wasn't asked with C&C but then I got a good deal anyway for no Milage limit and £100 no claims discount plus new for old. And it was cheaper for 2nd year.
Sorry my mistake meant CC&C not C&C .
Haven't had my coffee yet

I wonder how many insurers are giving further reductions for city braking?

I can only speak for my current Volvo, but from one year to the next the premium went down by around £300. I asked and was told that 'City Safety was now a recognised feature' or similar remark. It must have took time for the insurers to realise?

I didn't spec it and wish that i did. Have found myself pressing the blank space on the steering wheel!
Mr Q instead of disagreeing with my own preference and experience why not write your own? It probably more helpful to the OP and a little less negative on my post?

Thanks everybody for the feedback about the reversing cameras and insurance.

I have spoken to some of the insurers mentioned and yes they do give some discount for having cameras/sensors but in terms of the saving it was just over £10 per year for me, so to up the cost by over £400 (as we would have to have sensors to allow us to have the camera) to save £10 per year doesn't add up. It would take around 40 years to pay back.

So Cali will be coming without reversing camera or sensors.
The delay caused gave us the chance to review in our minds whether the Acapulco Blue which we originally opted for was what we wanted or did we prefer the colour of the one we test drove.
Blue lost.

Hopefully the dealer can now complete our application/order and we can join the long queue of expectant 'parents' waiting on news of their baby's development.

I agree with Mike, I wouldn't have a van without reversing sensors at least. Years ago I backed my works van into a short post which I hadn't spotted, cost more than the cost of the sensors to fix. I had sensors retro-fitted to my next van but they are nothing like as good as the ones on the Cali. A reversing camera would be nice but the sensors are a must in my opinion.

Thanks everybody for the feedback about the reversing cameras and insurance.

I have spoken to some of the insurers mentioned and yes they do give some discount for having cameras/sensors but in terms of the saving it was just over £10 per year for me, so to up the cost by over £400 (as we would have to have sensors to allow us to have the camera) to save £10 per year doesn't add up. It would take around 40 years to pay back.

So Cali will be coming without reversing camera or sensors.
The delay caused gave us the chance to review in our minds whether the Acapulco Blue which we originally opted for was what we wanted or did we prefer the colour of the one we test drove.
Blue lost.

Hopefully the dealer can now complete our application/order and we can join the long queue of expectant 'parents' waiting on news of their baby's development.
Personally I don't see that argument holds water. One tap on the back or front because of the lack of Parking Sensors would wipe out any saving from not having them, and as far as re-sale value I think any buyer would want a hefty discount to fit them. But your choice, which I respect, but it could be a false economy in the longer term.:thumb

Might sound naive to say it but I'm really surprised that sensors at least on the rear aren't standard. I'd agree with other posters that yes it would certainly affect resale value on a vehicle that's going to be bought, most likely, by a van first-timer who would be very keen to have reversing aids.

And if I hurt Velma I'd be mortified. :(

204 DSG 4Motion ordered!
Options are:
  • Metallic
  • Discover nav (I'm told it includes the Bluetooth/wifi coupling box)
  • Heated windscreen
  • Laminated privacy glass
  • Towbar
  • Hill descent control
  • Lockable storage
  • Storage net
  • Parking sensors f&r plus rear camera
  • Light and vision package
  • Magnetic flashlight
  • Mudflaps
  • 4 keys
  • Extra interior lights inc fluorescent tube
  • Premium driver info system inc driver alert
  • ACC (the 99mph one not 130! NB dealer says this includes the upgraded multi function leather s/wheel)
  • Comfort mattress
I also went for the £179+ vat for 4 services

Anyone reckon there are any 'must haves' that I've missed? The dealer said he's found it hard to sell used ones without the awning, but as its only a canopy I think I'd rather have a drive away awning and, to my mind at least, having seen it on the showroom model (in stashed mode) I think it spoils the looks/adds clutter.

Although it would probably arrive in Jan next year I've delayed it until March for the new reg so it will be spec changeable for quite some time.

204 DSG 4Motion ordered!
Options are:
  • Metallic
  • Discover nav (I'm told it includes the Bluetooth/wifi coupling box)
  • Heated windscreen
  • Laminated privacy glass
  • Towbar
  • Hill descent control
  • Lockable storage
  • Storage net
  • Parking sensors f&r plus rear camera
  • Light and vision package
  • Magnetic flashlight
  • Mudflaps
  • 4 keys
  • Extra interior lights inc fluorescent tube
  • Premium driver info system inc driver alert
  • ACC (the 99mph one not 130! NB dealer says this includes the upgraded multi function leather s/wheel)
  • Comfort mattress
I also went for the £179+ vat for 4 services

Anyone reckon there are any 'must haves' that I've missed? The dealer said he's found it hard to sell used ones without the awning, but as its only a canopy I think I'd rather have a drive away awning and, to my mind at least, having seen it on the showroom model (in stashed mode) I think it spoils the looks/adds clutter.

Although it would probably arrive in Jan next year I've delayed it until March for the new reg so it will be spec changeable for quite some time.
Not an expert on the nav system but from what people seem to be saying is that now app connect is available it's possibly not as good value as it used to be. I've used maps on my phone through app connect and have found it more than adequate.
Re the awning I think the dealer is right as far as resale is concerned. They are more expensive to buy after market. Maybe you could spec it and then take it off to store it? Or even sell on at profit?

Thanks Dave.
That is something I will certainly consider, I did discuss that possibility with the dealer and it seems as though with just 6 Allen bolts it's a fairly easy job to remove, and you're right it's about £350 for the cheapest one (from the factory) and about £700 if you buy it separately later.
I'm planning to keep it for around 10 yrs, so on that basis at £35/yr it doesn't sound a bad investment!

Of course the chosen options are down to personal opinion, but the obvious thing to me is that if you are trying to keep to a reasonable budget you should prioritise the portions to those that can't be retro fitted. Some options do cost more to add later but sometimes it's best to try and see how you get on.

For instance we didn't order the awning because we felt that a separate awning/tent might be better but if in time we think the awning is worth having and required we can add it on. By not ordering the awning we spent on other items up to our budget that we knew we couldn't retro fit. I guess it al depends on how much you can afford to spend initially.

I think parking sensors are a must just to ensure not only do you not back into hard objects and damage your pride and joy, but also avoid any children or pets that have a tendency to run about campsites and fail to see you fully focused on manoeuvring.