Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to order new Ocean

Geoff S

Geoff S

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hello - first post but been lurking/researching here a while. Thanks for all the useful contributions and threads here, it helped a great deal in the decision making process. I intend to order with a dealer in my hometown in the North West. Here is the spec (anything I have missed? advice and comments welcomed)

California Ocean 2.0 TDI 150 PS - 6 speed manual
Metallic Paint
Awning - black
Parkings sensors front and rear with rear camera
Composition Media Radio with 6.33 screen
App Connect
Privacy Glass
Cruise Control
Mud flaps

£46,300 quoted which includes discount of around 8% - will have to wait until late May for delivery but I reckon well worth the wait. Could I do better with a dealership in the South East ?

I agree with hotel California on the DSG but, regarding the dealer, and assuming you mean Preston, Guy will look after you with the price. You'll struggle to top the discount he offers - and that's without having to go through any messing about with haggling (and I did try before I ordered my Beach off him).

Last edited:
Go onto Drive the Deal website and see how much it comes out at (if you haven't already).

You can either order from there, or at least show dealers a print out and see if they can match / better it.

I haven't taken delivery yet, but having sone a lot of driving in the Netherlands, Norway and UK - I have ordered the DSG.
Also, I thought I'd made a mistake in not ordering the privacy glass... however having followed the threads on the forum I discovered that many people find the privacy glass is not enough and go for window tint on delivery in addition. I will be going for window tints. You might save yourself some cash (and disappointment if you find the privacy glass isn't enough) by going the same route...

You could of course go on adding options for ever! The manual gear box is absolutely spot on and we have just about coped with having to change gears without getting too tired from all that effort ;) ....we have manaual as didn't want DSG but it's a personal choice. The privacy glass is also just right for us, anything darker not required as far we are concerned.....seems like you have a good deal....we have a basic van with one or two extras and it's fantastic....hope you enjoy yours :).....the rear bumper protector is useful btw (not much extra), I won't get into what is the best bike rack.....we have side bars but again personal choice...

Thanks for the advice and comments. Will do some more research - especially on the DSG.

Thanks for the advice and comments. Will do some more research - especially on the DSG.
Best bet is to go and drive one! Preston VW has a Generation Six Caravelle (red and white one) with the 150ps engine and DSG on demo. I drove that one alongside the manual Cali Beach that they also have on demo before deciding DSG was the way to go!

You could of course go on adding options for ever! The manual gear box is absolutely spot on and we have just about coped with having to change gears without getting too tired from all that effort ;) ....we have manaual as didn't want DSG but it's a personal choice. The privacy glass is also just right for us, anything darker not required as far we are concerned.....seems like you have a good deal....we have a basic van with one or two extras and it's fantastic....hope you enjoy yours :).....the rear bumper protector is useful btw (not much extra), I won't get into what is the best bike rack.....we have side bars but again personal choice...
What is the rear bumper protector? Is it a strip to stop scratches when loading / unloading or is it crash protection?

Stick on black strip to protect the bumper. I'd prefer without, can always be fitted later if bumper gets scratched badly.

Yes it's a strip (black) which protects the top of the rear bumper.....we often have muddy boots, dog, sailing kit, bike kit, all sorts in and out of the boot and it adds some protection....also means you can use the bumper as footrest for putting boots etc on! Again personal choice.....

Would not bother with rear camera as you have parking sensors

John
I think this will depend on if you've had one before.

If not, John's right; the sensor will be enough.

If you've had a camera before then you'll miss it. I went from sensors and a camera on my last car to just sensors on this one and really missed not being able to see the lines on the floor to know if I was overhanging a space that I was backing into, or if I really was as close to the back of the space in a car park as the constant beeping sound implied (though, of course, the advantage of the Cali is what you can see out of the back window IS the back of the van - but that only matters if the wall/bollard/other car behind you is above window level).

As a result, I've put sensors and the camera on my Beach. Each to their own - just my personal experiences and reasoning.

Last edited:
I don't find the difference between sensors and camera that much. I think it would be great to back up and always have a look at what is behind.

The red warning and warning Beep are very conservative in practise. You can gain at least 0.5m using the camera.
Also if using a small trailer or tow bar bike rack then the Parking sensors are disabled, but not the camera. Each have their uses.

I justified the rear camera on the basis that it only has to go wrong once and it's paid for itself... (probably terrible English but you get what I mean).
As with above comments - it's all personal choice. If you're thinking of testing out the DSG, why not try a test with / without reversing camera at the same time.
No-one's mentioned it above, but the end May delivery could be ambitious if ordering new rather ex demo...?

Personal choice....we actually liked the black with our van colour....whatever colour we have found it useful...

Thanks for all comments and input. Order placed this morning. More or less same spec - could go round in circles with the options but we really only need (and can afford) basics. Many thanks to Guy V - great help and support as already noted on these forums.

Congratulations, Guy Vincent seems to be cleaning up with Cali sales. :thumb

Tried one with a camera and the driver assist software on the camera takes the pain out of reversing and is an extra safety feature too at night - as suggested by AlisonF just one bump being avoided justifies the cost as well as adding a nice little feature since alarm bells alone just add to the stress. I also went for front sensors and may regret this but experience will inform this decision!

Good luck whatever you select but personal trial takes the guess work out of selecting just off the options list and this also applies to the DSG which is a dream having tried this before and just got so used to automatics!