Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

About to order new Ocean

Yes it's a strip (black) which protects the top of the rear bumper.....we often have muddy boots, dog, sailing kit, bike kit, all sorts in and out of the boot and it adds some protection....also means you can use the bumper as footrest for putting boots etc on! Again personal choice.....
Hi, is the bumper protector a factory fit option or after market ? Ive not seen any for sale anywhere!

Ricky, I've asked my dealer if they can fit it before delivery / handover as I omitted it when ordering and they said yes.

Hi, is the bumper protector a factory fit option or after market ? Ive not seen any for sale anywhere!
Hi again Richy, it is a dealer fit option I'll post up a better pic tomorrow if you want?
eef17c97ee9da12441002bdd7af033b8.jpg
e03992e17bf198b909900e5d5d75fb17.jpg

372afaf114f68993cf8917356fc8086d.jpg

Cost £56.66 but they might throw it in for nothing if you give it a try?!

Last edited:
Yes dealer fit...mine was thrown in..final sweetner on the deal. I guess it's quite cheap at cost price.

Cheers again guys, I've a couple of other bits n bobs to run by our dealer so I don't think one more will matter !
Im guessing I can get a black protector fitted on a white van ?
I've also seen that a "FREE" option, black mirrors and door handles (should look good against white).

Cheers again guys, I've a couple of other bits n bobs to run by our dealer so I don't think one more will matter !
Im guessing I can get a black protector fitted on a white van ?
I've also seen that a "FREE" option, black mirrors and door handles (should look good against white).
I can't see why they wouldn't fit one for you, it's your van. Think it will look nice with a few subtle black bits on! :thumb

Order placed with Guy Vincent (Preston). Many thanks for all the comments and input here. Spec remained more or less as originally planned. Colour Indium Grey. No idea yet about delivery date but very excited about this new purchase.
Quick update: Dealer confirmed week 19 build with expected delivery of early/mid June which is great news!

Well done Geoff hoping to get a build date myself soon.

Mike

sounds brilliant - I'm from the keep-it-simple school too :thumb

you'll have a lot of fun with that & not too long to wait either - enjoy.

Quick update: Dealer confirmed week 19 build with expected delivery of early/mid June which is great news!

Hi Geoff, that's great news, our dealer gave us a their Ocean demo yesterday for the day, had a run down to North Berwick, its some piece of kit !

Great news Geoff! Not long now - you must be raring to go.

Ordered ours from Guy less than 10 days after you, our current provisional build is 6 weeks later than you though! No logic in these things. Still some hope it might get confirmed earlier but looking forward to late July regardless!

Great news Geoff! Not long now - you must be raring to go.

Ordered ours from Guy less than 10 days after you, our current provisional build is 6 weeks later than you though! No logic in these things. Still some hope it might get confirmed earlier but looking forward to late July regardless!

I know what you mean Lewis - until a few days ago Guy was predicting a late July early August delivery and a 2017 spec - so fingers crossed, you never know!

I've been waiting on my Beach from mid February,
Been told mid May for delivery but there's been no build date confirmed so I don't know what's happening :(

Hi Geof,
Your configuration is the same as my first thoughts, that was until I had a test drive in a 204dsg.
I had to upgrade. Once driven the 204 DSG there was no going back.
I ordered in Jan and collected a fortnight ago. plenty of time for the summer..
Regards

Hi All. An update for you. Picking up the van on June 23rd - what a birthday present! Just a question - is there a need for running in the new engine? I ask because I'm picking up from Preston and heading straight back the motorway to the south east. Thanks.

Think proper running in is a thing of the past. Probably a good idea not the thrash it for the first 1000 miles, keep revs < 3000 rpm. Also take it easy for the first 100 miles as tyres and brakes will need bedding in.

Think proper running in is a thing of the past. Probably a good idea not the thrash it for the first 1000 miles, keep revs < 3000 rpm. Also take it easy for the first 100 miles as tyres and brakes will need bedding in.
thanks teeboy

As Teeboy said.
Just keep it gentle . I note you have a manual so take care as 1st gear is a very short gear and basically designed to get the vehicle moving from a standstill. Easy to over Rev until you get used to it.

Engines are bench tested so a run in is not required.
True, but not the rest of the Drivetrain.
I could argue that "bench testing" is not quit the same as "running in".

I know "running in" is old school terminology but just checking if there are any special requirements for first 500/1000 miles etc. My new MX5 a few years ago required I didn't keep at one speed for a long period of time etc. As I will driving back straight down the M6 M1 and M25 there is the potential for a range of speeds - starting at zero!!

True, but not the rest of the Drivetrain.
I could argue that "bench testing" is not quit the same as "running in".
We are in 2016 remember not 1983. Unless your running a big power turbo its not required, and all you do is stay off boost.
The drive train should perform at its optimum from new, wearing as time goes.
A good stomp on the breaks is all I would suggest to ensure no glazing. However generally nowadays brakes are also good to go from new.

I know "running in" is old school terminology but just checking if there are any special requirements for first 500/1000 miles etc. My new MX5 a few years ago required I didn't keep at one speed for a long period of time etc. As I will driving back straight down the M6 M1 and M25 there is the potential for a range of speeds - starting at zero!!
I would say just enjoy, try some cruise control, try the gears, find your spot and relax. Worry about simply driving and not the van. Your common sense will prevail :)

What do I know. I just followed the Instructions in the Handbook.
Index - Running In - Brakes Page 271, Engine - Page 380, Tyres - Page 370.:thumb