Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Panoramic view on pop top option, yes or no?

Not yet, but there is one available for the isotop liner. when the weather warms up I will see if the separate brandrup isotop fly net will just zip straight onto the original roof. Rather than needing the isotop liner to fix to.

View attachment 73508
This looks really good. Practically speaking a mosquito net would be really very helpful

I have a Coast on order, and the panoramic front window was among the highest priorities on the extras list, it lets in so much more light when standing up or sitting down.

I had this on my old T4 Auto Sleeper Trooper too, it gives a very spacious feel to the van.

We love the panoramic opening. Whenever we have had it open it has felt like a really special experience, be it to lay in bed and feel like you are in the tree-tops, make the most of a viewpoint, watch wildlife or create a mobile observatory. You can’t beat stargazing out of a California.

Personally, I love that I have it and can use it if I want to....BUT....so far we have not opened the full panoramic aspect once. We use the smaller window all the time though.

We love to star gaze but tend to do that sat around our fire pit. When I hop back in the van, it’s to get some shut eye or to get out of the bad weather; the canvas would be all zipped up to protect us from any rain/wind/mosquitos.

I’ve even decided to buy an older style Isotop, because I can’t be bothered with the issue of having to zip out the front panel to close the roof because I really don’t think I’ll use it. Time will tell....

I would have it if it was free or money wasn’t an object. If I needed to consider what I could do without, I wouldn’t choose it over other options that I use more. For us, that might be the shower, which we use every time we are at the beach for feet and body boards (which is most weekends in the summer) and had been a brilliant addition. For you, it might be something different though.

Prioritise what you know you’ll need and the after market accessories that make life easier. Then if there’s money left, get what you want! You only live once ;)

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a fly screen option for this panoramic opening, similar to the main door one that we have? All the best
Dom

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a fly screen option for this panoramic opening, similar to the main door one that we have? All the best
Dom
Not that I’m aware of for the canvas alone. You can buy one for the Isotop internal liner, but then have to unzip the front liner panel and fit the fly out in it’s place.

Not that I’m aware of for the canvas alone. You can buy one for the Isotop internal liner, but then have to unzip the front liner panel and fit the fly out in it’s place.
Thank you for this that’s great. Does the isotop reduce the space up there or make it feel claustrophobic or wouldn’t you even notice it? Thanks and all the best.

We love the panoramic opening. Whenever we have had it open it has felt like a really special experience, be it to lay in bed and feel like you are in the tree-tops, make the most of a viewpoint, watch wildlife or create a mobile observatory. You can’t beat stargazing out of a California.
That sums it up wonderfully - for me thats the part Im most looking forward to & was absolutely at the top of my wish list - cant wait!

Thank you for this that’s great. Does the isotop reduce the space up there or make it feel claustrophobic or wouldn’t you even notice it? Thanks and all the best.
TBH...I haven't been able to fit it yet because I bought it a couple of weeks ago from a forum member and it's been too cold to fit the velcro tape!

I don't anticipate it feeling claustrophobic at all, as I've seen lots of photos of it fitted on the forum and it has the window options for when we want to open up for light and air. Happy to post photos once it's up but I'm in no rush as we can't get away and it should really be a lot warmer to fit the velcro.

I have an external DIY wrap, courtesy of this forum's fantastic instructions, which does a great job but can be a bit fiddly to fit, especially if it's windy, when I'm on my own or it's chucking it down!!! My kids sleep up top and I want something that keeps them cosy in the cooler months and lets them sleep later in the warmer months when it gets light early. It also means I don't need to take it down when we pop out for the day and reinstall before the kids go to bed, which I always forget to do and then have to attempt after a couple of glasses of wine ;)

You loose the thickness of the material space wise. The lighter colour and soft feel to the liner makes it actually feel more airy but cosier at the same time.

You loose the thickness of the material space wise. The lighter colour and soft feel to the liner makes it actually feel more airy but cosier at the same time.
Thank you. Is there a gap between the exterior skin and the isotop? I’m trying to visualise how much space is lost up there as my kids also sleep up top all the best

There’s a small say 10mm air gap between the two layers if you push against the liner it will move out to touch the outer skin so you don’t actually loose any space.

It doesn’t hang over the mattress, so you’ve got that width over the whole space still.

There’s a small say 10mm air gap between the two layers if you push against the liner it will move out to touch the outer skin so you don’t actually loose any space.

It doesn’t hang over the mattress, so you’ve got that width over the whole space still.
Thanks so much for taking the time to post this. Does the material sit taught (like the main roof canvas) or does it look more crinkled? I’m just trying to visualise what it’s like as they are up there a lot. Thanks and all the best

Ah, thanks, I figured the 'panoramic view' was the front window. I guess you gotta give it a fancy name if you charge hundreds for it ;-).

Well, we had it in our T4. We didn't have it in our T5 untill recently when we had the roof corrosion fixed and we got a new T6 canvas for free, including the front 'window'.We love it. For several reasons. It may not seem a big deal, but man I found it so annoying that we couldnt get flies and other insects out of the pop top easily when we didnt have the front window. Also, imho it adds a more roomy/spacious feel to the van when you sit in it and can open the front window. And last but not least...

Waking up to this...., a beach, lake, starry night, or whatever view your prefer is priceless. Or, if you are buying from VW, expensive. ;-) But worth it if you ask me. Your kids might like it. I know mine do.

50446327458_14062a102d_c.jpg
100% bug escape exit. They come in they go out

I should think so too! cannot believe they took that stance in the 1st place - im sure you will love the open bellow option - great choice
Lazy sales guy who could not be bothered to do the admin for no commission ( as van already bought). That was his way of getting rid of you.

I have it on my 6.1 ocean. Its ok but i never lie in bed looking out and it lets the flies in. The good thing is- it allows me to stick my tv ariel on the outside of the raised pop top roof.

Back