Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking Heater Failed

M

muttley

Guest User
This weekend the parking heater was completely unresponsive, and the light on the switch wouldn't go yellow. The 3 wavy bar icon is flashing in the display, which obviously indicates a fault.

I am hoping it is something minor, like a fuse, but I can't find a fuse diagram for a 2012 SE. If anyone could let me know which fuse to check, it will save me a wasted day at VW. Thanks.

Simon

Check VIP Downloads section. There is a download of the T5 fuse plan, including special vehicles which covers the Californis.

muttley said:
This weekend the parking heater was completely unresponsive, and the light on the switch wouldn't go yellow. The 3 wavy bar icon is flashing in the display, which obviously indicates a fault.

I am hoping it is something minor, like a fuse, but I can't find a fuse diagram for a 2012 SE. If anyone could let me know which fuse to check, it will save me a wasted day at VW. Thanks.

Simon
Have you checked your fuel gauge? Seem to remember the heater won't work if your fuel is low.

Battery voltage needs to be over 11.5 volts as well I think.

Thanks for the advice. Battery voltage was good, and on hookup too. Fuel level was 3/4 tank.

Sorry, I did see the transporter fuse guide and foolishly thought it would only be the 'van' fuses. Should have looked more closely.

I will check the relevant fuses and report back. Thanks again.

Simon

Turns out that the main combustion unit had failed, so Citygate are fitting a replacement for me. I doubt we have used the parking heater more than a dozen times in two years, so that is pretty poor. Can't blame dodgy VW engineering for this part though, but I certainly would never run an SE out of warranty - I'd be scared to touch anything in case it broke.

Simon

Sorry to hear that. I was using the heating almost daily in last 2 years, except warm months, without any issue. I think the thing is generally reliable.

Once I had a problem, but it turned out to be some tiny stones sucked to the inlet and making noise in the fan. In anticipation of fan replacement I bought it, but there was no need to replace it, so I end up with new, unwanted fan. (Half price, should you need this piece for the repair)

Good luck,
Andrzej

In fact the failure turned out to be a software problem in the end, which needed an update. It sounds like the heater draws too much fuel and then blocks the combustion chamber. It is apparently a known problem, so must be fairly common.

Simon

Did Citygate actually fit the new main combustion unit?

No, they found that the combustion unit was coked up, and managed to clear it. The software update will apparently stop it reoccurring. Time will tell.

Very interesting posts. It raises the question whether the heater needs maintenance at any stage. Presumably, the burner will coke up eventually and similar to our boilers at home may require some maintenance??
Can anyone shed light on this issue?

calicasas said:
Very interesting posts. It raises the question whether the heater needs maintenance at any stage. Presumably, the burner will coke up eventually and similar to our boilers at home may require some maintenance??
Can anyone shed light on this issue?

All our trucks at work have these heaters fitted to them. They do not have any routine maintenance done on them, rather have any faults rectified when they occur.

Out of warranty it is probably better to find a Wabasto repair agent rather than using a dealer who will probably try to sell & fit a new unit.

I wondered if it might be due to how the heater is used. We use ours very rarely, and only on level 1 or 2 at most. Perhaps it needs the odd blast at level 8 to clear it out. If so, it would be handy to know that.

Simon

I had mine fail a while back and that due to coking up. Had it refurbished and was told to run it once a month for 1hour. Then it should last for 3years before next service.

But I forgot to run it....life gets in the way

This same fault has just happened in our van, with the same blinking icon on the control unit. The last time we used the heater - a month or so ago, the thermostat appeared not to be working as it appeared to be on full no matter what level we set it at. Also only the day before yesterday we had an amp, a sub and replacement speakers fitted. Not sure if these two factors may be relevant?

Muttley - assuming we have the same issue as you, would you be ok saying how much to fix?

Many thanks in anticipation of any advice

Ian

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hi Ian,

Bad luck, but let's hope your fault is as easy to fix as mine was. Our van was still under warranty, so I'm afraid I can't say what the repair cost. I would guess a couple of hours labour at most.

Our heater has been fine since, but I do give it a good blast every now and again at max heat, just in case.

Best regards,
Simon

Recommend to run heater once a month to keep it clean & running ok

Thanks all - I'm going to book her in to the dealers tomorrow - the van's five in September so well out of warranty. Fingers crossed it'll be an easy (not too horrendously expressive) fix.

The same heater is fitted to most trucks. May be worth trying to find a 3rd party repairer. Could ask in truck dealer if there is one near you. I suspect vw will want to sell you a new one.

Thanks for the further advice. I've been advised by a webasto repairer as a first step to disconnect then reconnect the battery. I think even as a non mechanic I can manage that ☺ I'm thinking it must be the leisure battery - but I'm wondering which one, if it matters? Any advice much appreciated.

Oh and is it definitely webasto, or could it eberspecher(?). Our van is a 2010 180 manual. Thanks again!

Yes that would be the leisure batteries & it will suffice to disconnect either one.
I believe it is an eberspacher. The webasto is the coolant heater.

Back