Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pedders suspension

Do you go up to amputees and tell them you are going for a lovely walk on TWO legs?
Touchy aren’t we.
All the amputees I know do have two legs, one or both might be carbon fibre and they probably walk a damn sight better than you do.
If you consider this “supposed” sagging is detrimental or a fault why don’t you take it up with VW or better still get out and use the vehicle. If your driving it then you cannot be fixated on its saggy bottom, instead of standing there looking at it on the drive.

Touchy aren’t we.
All the amputees I know do have two legs, one or both might be carbon fibre and they probably walk a damn sight better than you do.
If you consider this “supposed” sagging is detrimental or a fault why don’t you take it up with VW or better still get out and use the vehicle. If your driving it then you cannot be fixated on its saggy bottom, instead of standing there looking at it on the drive.

I feel you are not getting it. What is helpful telling other who express they have a problem that you have none? Are you on this forum to help or brag?

Errr... back on topic.. Have found some almost new Pedders for £150. I will fit and give a a comprehensive review. I am biased as I want lots of ground clearance and most importantly an increased departure angle as most of my last alpine trip was off road. I will try t32 springs as recommended plus the HD shocks should this not be satisfactory, also with full a review. Thank you all for the info.

Errr... back on topic.. Have found some almost new Pedders for £150. I will fit and give a a comprehensive review. I am biased as I want lots of ground clearance and most importantly an increased departure angle as most of my last alpine trip was off road. I will try t32 springs as recommended plus the HD shocks should this not be satisfactory, also with full a review. Thank you all for the info.
We need some pictures of your alpine trips, I would love to get some pointers on where to go.

We need some pictures of your alpine trips, I would love to get some pointers on where to go.

I'll start a new thread in Wild Camping.. See you there.

WG - Believe that Briwy has mentioned air lift helpers and some good info (page 2). May not be a bad solution. Seems a bit of a cheap fix for a new van much as i like the idea and adjustability i cant help but think its ‘not quite right’. Full air if i could justify the cost would be gr8

Done. Happy to point you.

WG - Believe that Briwy has mentioned air lift helpers and some good info (page 2). May not be a bad solution. Seems a bit of a cheap fix for a new van much as i like the idea and adjustability i cant help but think its ‘not quite right’. Full air if i could justify the cost would be gr8
Depends whether you think there is a problem or if it is purely the “ look “ that is problematic.
If the 4Motion does not have the ground clearance quoted by and published by VW when correctly loaded then surely VW should be taken to task.
Has anyone measured the ground clearance of a correctly loaded 4Motion?

Depends whether you think there is a problem or if it is purely the “ look “ that is problematic.
If the 4Motion does not have the ground clearance quoted by and published by VW when correctly loaded then surely VW should be taken to task.
Has anyone measured the ground clearance of a correctly loaded 4Motion?

Well it seems a very subjective issue. Pray tell what your wheel centre to wheel arch measurements are when lightly fully loaded?

Well it seems a very subjective issue. Pray tell what your wheel centre to wheel arch measurements are when lightly fully loaded?
Sorry but I don't see the relevance of my vehicle to yours.
According to your statements "
I am biased as I want lots of ground clearance and most importantly an increased departure angle as most of my last alpine trip was off road.
you have the problem so my question was
" Have you actually lost ground clearance according to VW's vehicle measurements? "
If you have then the springs are inadequate.
Why are they inadequate? VW fitting inadequate springs? or Load carrying ?

If you just wish to return to " Normal " you may be successful with renewing the springs, even replacing with stronger springs, but you could run into problems with ride quality, when empty, if the primary cause is due to load carrying . In this case a Load Assist system might be more appropriate or a full air system.

Sorry but I don't see the relevance of my vehicle to yours.
According to your statements "
I am biased as I want lots of ground clearance and most importantly an increased departure angle as most of my last alpine trip was off road.
you have the problem so my question was
" Have you actually lost ground clearance according to VW's vehicle measurements? "
If you have then the springs are inadequate.
Why are they inadequate? VW fitting inadequate springs? or Load carrying ?

If you just wish to return to " Normal " you may be successful with renewing the springs, even replacing with stronger springs, but you could run into problems with ride quality, when empty, if the primary cause is due to load carrying . In this case a Load Assist system might be more appropriate or a full air system.
There is lots of relevance. We have already established that you have the holy grail of springs that in the whole world have only ever been fitted to your van as standard. You could If you choose be very helpful and post your ride hight so we will then have a much better idea of what could be achieved by fitting said springs. I never carry a full load. Even going off grid for a couple of months there was no more than 60-70kg arft of the fridge and that includes my bike and rack. Overloading is not a factor in the low rear ride hight on my van. Fact! To me even “normal” is fairly rubbish. Apart from being too soft and bouncy the Cali departure angle when loaded within limits is appalling and the most limiting factor if you want to explore where a 4M can go. Fact! (IMO hehe) To you and your perfect bus this is clearly not a problem. To me and hundreds, if not thousands of others it is. ( I really can start quoting from forums all over the world ). What puzzles me most is why all the unhelpful bragging and criticism? I see from past threads on this subject you have pissed off people In the same way. You have confirmed how subjective this matter is. Your van might be perfect in your eyes. IMO mine could be better. Telling me my opinion is wrong is very patronising. This may come as a shock but my and others opinions are just as valid as yours. I hold you in high regard for all the knowledge you share with others. It all just starts to go a bit Pete Tong if anyone dares to find fault in what is basically a van designed probably more than 17 years ago. Feel free to get the last word in. I’m out of here to blast all the Italian mud from under the van so I can see where the new springs need to go.

Last edited:
Can I ask the two protagonists to disengage?

This is a fascinating discussion of interest to many so it would be a shame to have it bogged down by personalities.

From my POV when I bought Albert I intended it for the rough ride, hence 4WD. However I was buying a camper van with limited off-road capabilities, not an off road vehicle great on the road. The entry / departure angles are a limitation, not helped by the basic shape of the Transporter itself, but so far I have managed with just a little bit of raised heartbeat.

for my next vehicle I would still want that off-road capability plus a towing capability and rear springing mods could be a consideration.

Last edited:
Sorry Gran, I apologise and ill try not to do it again. Shame though as it was really helping me with my creative sarcasm course. :)

Apologies.
1. My vehicle is not perfect and I have not stated that it is. It just conforms to VW's published - Post Factory state. Ride height and overall height as published in the Handbook and Sales Literature.
2. I agree the Departure and Approach angles would need to be improved for anything but mild off-road travel and keeping the ride height as standard, not saggy, will not address this problem. Only Full Air Suspension or the Full Seikel Kit will help with this aspect, as some have fitted.

Apologies.
1. My vehicle is not perfect and I have not stated that it is. It just conforms to VW's published - Post Factory state. Ride height and overall height as published in the Handbook and Sales Literature.
2. I agree the Departure and Approach angles would need to be improved for anything but mild off-road travel and keeping the ride height as standard, not saggy, will not address this problem. Only Full Air Suspension or the Full Seikel Kit will help with this aspect, as some have fitted.

Definitely something that I would consider for next time. There have been times that I have felt either limited in where I go or thinking of putting Albert on the endangered species list because of where I need to get back from:shocked

Apologies.

Hi WG, to help positively in this discussion could you kindly take a few minutes on a dry day and be more exact in what springs are actually fitted on the rear of your van. (as said before dirty white can look grey.)
A photo would be ideal and also a holiday snap of the whole van side on would definitely be of benefit so we can appreciate your understanding of the stance of your van.

I'm going to put my neck on the line and suggest you don't have 4xgrey as I don't believe this 1BB suspension could be spec'd for the UK California market. Please prove me wrong.
Can you also supply your PR suspension code? ie. 1BA or 1BB?
Also what's your PR code beginning 0Y...? that will be the weight class so good to know.

Re your point 2 above I have to amicably disagree. You do not have to go for the big cash Seikel or air to significantly improve clearance for off-road. (or even a rutted farm track to a campsite!) After all, forgetting underbody protection,etc the less extreme desert Seikel is just springs/ shocks plus the option of oversize tyres.
You can just uprate the existing springs from the VW catalogue and get a similar effect (and more so combined with a spring distance kit). A big chunk of that Seikel lift is at the rear end and I have yet to see a Seikel/Terranger conversion where the front end is visually lower than the rear.

Many thanks, Will.

significantly improve clearance for off-road. (or even a rutted farm track to a campsite!)

Dragging chassis just this evening with some 'light off road' in the field here. Another inch would make the world of difference.. I'm all for a standard VW conversion on a new van vs aftermarket. Agree with Wills on this one.

Apologies.

Any chance you could post this info? I've looked in my handbook but can't see it

Any chance you could post this info? I've looked in my handbook but can't see it
Not much point as I have a T5.1 not a T6.

Who needs Eastenders when you have this! Hahahahahahahha!

Oooops.... Sorry!