Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

People who don’t take bike racks off when not in use....

I'd say take the bike rack off if you don't ride bikes. You'll reduce the drag and save fuel, you can see out of the back better, and it's easier to open the boot. We take the bike rack off our van if we're going on a long trip (abroad) without bikes. It's easy enough to rig up a washing line.

The van is still a camper van. I seldom use an umbrella even when it's raining as I don't like carrying anything if I can help it.

I realise I've just contradicted my own post of last year (saying it's nuts taking the bike rack off all the time).

Generally we leave it on the van, but we have removed one set of the channels that hold the wheels, to improve visibility out of the back window. We only need to carry two bikes.

Actually I'm not even sure we've used the bike rack on the new van yet, only got it in November and opportunities have been very limited since then, owing to injury, horrible weather and lockdown.

I completely appreciate that view. I used to be a Lotus man, so owning a Cali means i'm either a hypocrite or drastically converted. None the less, given we're driving bricks anyway, I cant see removing the bikerack any more beneficial to the drag. Weight however, i'm sure makes a difference. But as a chap said on the T5/T6 facebook group earlier - you cant polish a turd, but you can roll it in glitter.... :D (that's a keeper!).

But I can appreciate your view in regards to a long roadtrip where you know you wont have a use for it.

We're planning on using ours as an external parcel shelve with appropriate waterproofed storage. We also have a towbar fitted, and our plan is to have an Altera bike rack for bikes (substancially more effective for bikes from research), and the bike rack for additional storage.

Just to revive an old thread - since day 1 of having a T5 conversion, i've dreamt of having a bike rack and awning. I always pushed the desires aside however and said 'i'm not wasting the money on a conversion'.

Now that we've splashed out on a 6 month old T6 Cali, our time has come. We're getting a bike rack fitted next week, and I honestly cant wait.

Now for the kicker......we dont ride bikes. Heck, my mrs is due to give birth to our second in late November, with our first-born currently 20 months old. We have no intention to ride a bike any time soon.

However, the selling point of a Cali (for us, and i'm sure a great many) has been it's versatility.

As a parent of a newborn (both historical and future), I cant begin to tell you of how versatile a camper is (t5/t6 or otherwise), and a bike rack is only that in name. It's also as others have said:

Clothes Line
Storage Box/Rack
Style/Personalisation
Flexibility
Future-Proofing.

For me, the Cali offers everyone more versatility than (almost) any other vehicle. The second you start removing/storing that versatility, you take away from the DNA of the vehicle, and ultimately, would be better off with a simple estate/hatchback.

At the end of the day, it's each to his/her own. I learned long ago to let others live by their own choices - but i'll finish with this rhetorical question. How many of you travel with an umbrella on a sunny day?

*drops mic*
Last year we did a long trip to Northern Norway, no bike rack as it is quite heavy.

However, I recently put it back on the because it takes up too much room in the shed. And I think it looks good too. We both cycle.

Just to revive an old thread - since day 1 of having a T5 conversion, i've dreamt of having a bike rack and awning. I always pushed the desires aside however and said 'i'm not wasting the money on a conversion'.

Now that we've splashed out on a 6 month old T6 Cali, our time has come. We're getting a bike rack fitted next week, and I honestly cant wait.

Now for the kicker......we dont ride bikes. Heck, my mrs is due to give birth to our second in late November, with our first-born currently 20 months old. We have no intention to ride a bike any time soon.

However, the selling point of a Cali (for us, and i'm sure a great many) has been it's versatility.

As a parent of a newborn (both historical and future), I cant begin to tell you of how versatile a camper is (t5/t6 or otherwise), and a bike rack is only that in name. It's also as others have said:

Clothes Line
Storage Box/Rack
Style/Personalisation
Flexibility
Future-Proofing.

For me, the Cali offers everyone more versatility than (almost) any other vehicle. The second you start removing/storing that versatility, you take away from the DNA of the vehicle, and ultimately, would be better off with a simple estate/hatchback.

At the end of the day, it's each to his/her own. I learned long ago to let others live by their own choices - but i'll finish with this rhetorical question. How many of you travel with an umbrella on a sunny day?

*drops mic*
Future proofing??

Given we arent planning on riding bikes any time soon :D But will eventually when our kids are no longer infants.
If you leave it on for prolonged period what I would say is keep your eye on the areas where the rack meets the van. Crud and grit can build up and wear away the protective films and damage paintwork :thumb

If you leave it on for prolonged period what I would say is keep your eye on the areas where the rack meets the van. Crud and grit can build up and wear away the protective films and damage paintwork :thumb
Good to know - thanks.

Anyone know which 3m PU number it is to get the right
thickness for the film.
I bought 1 metre of it a good few years ago and now i don't know
which one it is.

Anyone know which 3m PU number it is to get the right
thickness for the film.
I bought 1 metre of it a good few years ago and now i don't know
which one it is.
Just double it up westy u can never have too much protection ;)

As for bike racks I think a bike rack makes a camper look like a camper
Definitely a must have
Clothes dryer
Carrier
Something to grab to shut the boot
And you can carry your bikes with you when ever you fancy.

Does anyone have any good brackets / storage solutions for hanging their bike rack on a garage wall?

If you have space on the wall then plenty of inexpensive hooks at b&q / screw fix. I used some similar to these + pipe lagging to stop the rack getting scratched on the wall.