Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

People who don’t take bike racks off when not in use....

When we bought our last van the dealer tried a final sweetener " we will chuck in a bike rack" When I told him that would be a useful as a chocolate teapot to us he agreed on some further sweeteners.
Back to the OP -- When would you take it off if you do not have a bike on it - Take it off all week if you only use your bike at weekends.

Impossible to gain access to the boot area with more than one bike attached. Thus having to remove bikes to get something out the boot, no thanks.
Plus it’s high up,looks an eyesore and is single worst design feature of the California.
We have a plasterer’s prop to support the tailgate when open and can happily open the tailgate with four bikes loaded. It folds down to 120 cm and will extend to 295 cm. It can also be used to support the wind out awning canopy in wet weather to prevent pooling water.

When we bought our last van the dealer tried a final sweetener " we will chuck in a bike rack" When I told him that would be a useful as a chocolate teapot to us he agreed on some further sweeteners.
Back to the OP -- When would you take it off if you do not have a bike on it - Take it off all week if you only use your bike at weekends.
It’s a 5 minute job to take it off, then put it back on if required. I can squeeze it on the wall in the garage and just about still open the door to get in and reverse out. The Garage door doesn’t shut with it on.
If we are going away, then I will put the bikes on it and use it - also doubles up on site for other things as mentioned above. As soon as I’m home it comes off again. For short journeys the kids bikes go in the main area. No need for it then. Also lend it to a few pals who use it when I don’t need it.

It’s a 5 minute job to take it off, then put it back on if required. I can squeeze it on the wall in the garage and just about still open the door to get in and reverse out. The Garage door doesn’t shut with it on.
If we are going away, then I will put the bikes on it and use it - also doubles up on site for other things as mentioned above. As soon as I’m home it comes off again. For short journeys the kids bikes go in the main area. No need for it then. Also lend it to a few pals who use it when I don’t need it.
Not too much trouble to mount/dismount but do the protective stick on bits stay in place?
They look naff without the bike rack.
Perhaps some sort of protection fitted to the rack mounts rather than the tail gate?

Last edited:
I kind of like the look of it, we often put the bikes on without much planning. The only downside is it makes the vehicle a bit longer but that isn't an issue in the driveway.

I've given all the bolts on mine a good spray with ACF50 to try and prevent corrosion.

With many cities introducing low emission areas, this is a must have. I quickly take the bikes if my 2006 cali is not welcome anymore. That's why I leave it on my car...

All that extra weight and drag...think of the emissions!

I make no apologies, I bought the bike rack BECAUSE I thought it looked great on the back & finishes off the Cali look for me :cool:

Of course I do use it for its designed purpose, from time to time, but haven't as yet ever considered taking it off......

Thats the great thing about Cali ownership, there are so many different ways that these wonderful vehicles can enhance our lives, and every one of us has a different opinion on how it does it :thumb

We have a plasterer’s prop to support the tailgate when open and can happily open the tailgate with four bikes loaded. It folds down to 120 cm and will extend to 295 cm. It can also be used to support the wind out awning canopy in wet weather to prevent pooling water.

I think you answered your own question.
Needing an aid to keep it propped up, means it’s not designed to be opened with bikes attached.
I had dents under the rack on the tailgate with just two bikes attached.

Not too much trouble to mount/dismount but do the protective stick on bits stay in place?
They look naff without the bike rack.
Perhaps some sort of protection fitted to the rack mounts rather than the tail gate?
I noticed last weekend that the lower two transparent protectors have slid and sand/road crud has managed to get involved.
The higher top two I didn’t manage to get 100% in place anyway so the right hand leg overshoots by a few CMs. So to mitigate this and offer more protection I’ve chopped a few 10cm pieces of old Mtb inner-tube to stop any potential rubbing. Fully loaded over time it will happen, so the more protection you can give it when in use the better.

I think you answered your own question.
Needing an aid to keep it propped up, means it’s not designed to be opened with bikes attached.
I had dents under the rack on the tailgate with just two bikes attached.
What were you bikes made out of? Cast iron?

I thought towbar racks were for only for people no longer able to lift their heavy ebikes onto the tailgate rack & hold the boot up with one hand whilst getting stuff out with the other

For me I just want to be able to chuck the bike on and go whenever I get the opportunity, actually like it even more now I know it annoys people

Odd thing to say.
We like to be able to sling the kids bikes on whenever we fancy. Plus I'm not sure where we would store it otherwise....no garage or even off street parking. Not sure it would classify as a piece of art on the sitting room wall.

The past two years of Cali ownership have been grand, half of the joy of owning my van is probably driving it on the open roads and seeing other vans, nodding the head, waving ahoy, and basically loving the drive.
But I have noticed that at least 70% of other California’s, and also tailgate blessed transporters, have the bike racks attached....with nothing on.
Now before people start, I understand that it’s not the easiest thing to remove, that it’s great for drying clothes, that it’s hard to store.....but it really annoys me seeing them not in use.
I’ve just noticed in another thread, a member mentioning they make the van look ‘pretty’.
I disagree there. Cali is a Cali.
They remind me of my house last year when the scaffolding was up to re do the roof!
Ok the quasi isnt as nice as the kylie, but come on - let the back end shine??!!
We only bought the bike rack because the Cali looks better with it - we had no intention of using it at all - I must admit though we’d never thought to use it as a clothes line

Odd thing to say.
We like to be able to sling the kids bikes on whenever we fancy. Plus I'm not sure where we would store it otherwise....no garage or even off street parking. Not sure it would classify as a piece of art on the sitting room wall.
I’ve seen worse art in a gallery and reckon it would work indoors.
My better half disagrees
Shrug .

Maybe mine will come off November to Feb..but not necessarily, I left it on last time.
But it is the Quasi look.....Absolutely stunning, brings the look up to date. :Grin

The past two years of Cali ownership have been grand, half of the joy of owning my van is probably driving it on the open roads and seeing other vans, nodding the head, waving ahoy, and basically loving the drive.
But I have noticed that at least 70% of other California’s, and also tailgate blessed transporters, have the bike racks attached....with nothing on.
Now before people start, I understand that it’s not the easiest thing to remove, that it’s great for drying clothes, that it’s hard to store.....but it really annoys me seeing them not in use.
I’ve just noticed in another thread, a member mentioning they make the van look ‘pretty’.
I disagree there. Cali is a Cali.
They remind me of my house last year when the scaffolding was up to re do the roof!
Ok the quasi isnt as nice as the kylie, but come on - let the back end shine??!!
I understand your sentiments! I have a genuine VW bike rack that costs way more than others that fit. I must say it’s quite easy to fit and remove, two minute job. Once we’ve returned the bike rack is always removing, can’t see the point of having it on, and it’s a useless washing line! - style accessories on a California has always passed me by

The biggest waste of time on the California...

Absolutely hated the thing, hence why my latest van doesn’t have one.
Impossible to gain access to the boot area with more than one bike attached. Thus having to remove bikes to get something out the boot, no thanks.
Plus it’s high up,looks an eyesore and is single worst design feature of the California. Scratch that, second. The handbrake fouling the drivers chair on swivel has to be the worst.

Towbar sliding rack much better, easily removed and gives unhindered access to the boot area...
Would never go back to the tailgate version mount. Infact you couldn’t give me one
Not impossible. In fact, quite easy (although a two person job, one to hold, one to retrieve.)

Wasn’t t sure if that was a spoof ‘grumble’ post... but assuming it’s serious...

Definitely a major plus having a permanent rack for me too... just like the sink, wardrobe, cooker, heater. There when you need it, no trouble at all when you don’t!

As for dents from another reply. Yep - sounds like either your bikes are too heavy or you slam the loaded tailgate - definite no no. I can lift mine with 4 bikes on, have used it maybe an average of 20 times a year for the 5 years of owning and no dents.

We’re all in it for a variety of reasons but bikes and the Cali are an ideal match, the rack is a brilliant design if you are a regular cyclist and absolutely no way is taking it on and off feasible if you are. It’s no accident the bike rack is popular out there.

I think it looks very good too!

But you did set off as debate here as to whether it was a spoof - was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regular cyclist here.
Much prefer to drop my towbar rack in the shed out the way when not in use.
Most people who have the rack don’t camp much. Therefore, don’t see it for the hinderance it is.

Wasn’t t sure if that was a spoof ‘grumble’ post... but assuming it’s serious...

Definitely a major plus having a permanent rack for me too... just like the sink, wardrobe, cooker, heater. There when you need it, no trouble at all when you don’t!

As for dents from another reply. Yep - sounds like either your bikes are too heavy or you slam the loaded tailgate - definite no no. I can lift mine with 4 bikes on, have used it maybe an average of 20 times a year for the 5 years of owning and no dents.

We’re all in it for a variety of reasons but bikes and the Cali are an ideal match, the rack is a brilliant design if you are a regular cyclist and absolutely no way is taking it on and off feasible if you are. It’s no accident the bike rack is popular out there.

I think it looks very good too!

But you did set off as debate here as to whether it was a spoof - was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No spoof. Genuine thoughts

Assume you all have the ball ache of removing the towbar as well. Only thing worse than a bike rack without a bike is a towbar not towing ;)