Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pet passport after BREXIT

Just read the Defra pages and the NI situation was indeed a surprise. The snake oil salesman at Downing Street assured us that there would be frictionless borders and that NI would remain part of the UK. As well as needing a rabies vaccination and vets certificate they have also added a requirement for tape worm. This is nonsense from a veterinary perspective and is purely a political fudge. I see they are also going to continue issuing pet passports for NI dogs so yet another discrepancy. Has anyone seen the new health certificates as I also understand that they need to be written in the language of the countries you are visiting. It could be a complicated and expensive exercise if you are travelling around Europe.
It's not the UK Government that insist on the Tapeworm treatment but the EU in case you stray across the border into Ireland.

It’s a pain but could of been a lot worse, I can still travel with zeb not needing blood tests etc and most importantly no extra tax’s.
Hopefully no more COVID or BR....! Soon.
What will they talk about on the news:thumb

I found the Animal Health Certificate on the defra website if anyone is interested. It is available in 22 languages but you only need the dual language version for the country of entry. I am still unclear what happens if you leave the EU and try and re-enter the EU such as going to Norway or even Switzerland but no doubt it will all become clearer in time. Have a good new year when it comes.

http://apha.defra.gov.uk//External_...nimal_Exports/Animal_Health_Certificates.html

We saw our vet today and asked how much the AHC will be and they said it is fixed at £125 per dog !!! We were told to allow 45 mins per pet for the paperwork to be completed. Don't forget we also need to see a vet on the way back plus the extra cost on the tunnel which could easily result in two dogs costing nearly £500

We travelled to Europe at the weekend and got an AHC for the first time. First one the vet in Herefordshire had done. Our two dogs went on one certificate and total cost for it was £130. After the health check it took about an hour for the paperwork which was about 4 sheets of paper and photocopy of rabies certificate and chip details (these were from our ‘current’ UK pet passport).
Very straightforward at Eurotunnel. Take dogs into terminal, AHC and rabies vaccination certificate checked and chips in dogs scanned. That was it. Very easy but helped that Eurotunnel is very quiet at the moment, might be a bit busier in the summer if travel back to normal.
Will still need tapeworm and tick treatment coming back from Europe which generally costs us about €100 for both dogs.
Cheaper for the dogs than our COVID tests!

Wow you pay a lot for tape worm and check! Is that near Calais?
ive only ever paid 25/35 euros and when I had two dogs they only charged an extra 5euros. Made sure I used a vet miles away from Calais though.

Wow you pay a lot for tape worm and check! Is that near Calais?
ive only ever paid 25/35 euros and when I had two dogs they only charged an extra 5euros. Made sure I used a vet miles away from Calais though.
In practice I've never had a reason to look for a vet near Calais, given that the tapeworm has to be given not less than 24 hours before the Shuttle check-in. Is that still the case with the post-Brexit regime?

We've paid prices varying from about 15 Euros (somewhere in France, I forget) to 60 Euros (Germany - yeah I know but we just didn't want to waste hours shopping around).

We saw our vet today and asked how much the AHC will be and they said it is fixed at £125 per dog !!! We were told to allow 45 mins per pet for the paperwork to be completed. Don't forget we also need to see a vet on the way back plus the extra cost on the tunnel which could easily result in two dogs costing nearly £500
Our vet has suggested it will be around £80 but we already have all the required bits of paper including antibody titre test results. We had intended being abroad before the end of last year on the old pet passport but COVID put paid to that. If we manage to travel this year I might ask our local French vet about the possibility of getting a French pet passport. Our dog doesnt care which country he is from.

Our vet has suggested it will be around £80 but we already have all the required bits of paper including antibody titre test results. We had intended being abroad before the end of last year on the old pet passport but COVID put paid to that. If we manage to travel this year I might ask our local French vet about the possibility of getting a French pet passport. Our dog doesnt care which country he is from.
Poodle or Bulldog?

Could we complie a list of helpful and good priced vets on way back to UK?
There used to be one (not VWC specific) somewhere online. Not sure how to find it now or if people have been updating it.

The UK gov website is now updated for pet travel to and from Europe from the UK post Brexit.
There is no requirement for a blood / titre test.
The only change to the previous rules is the requirement for the AHC (Animal Health Check) to be done up to 10 days before departure to the EU.
Return protocol (worming by a vet within 1-5 days before entering UK) has not changed.

The UK gov website is now updated for pet travel to and from Europe from the UK post Brexit.
There is no requirement for a blood / titre test.
The only change to the previous rules is the requirement for the AHC (Animal Health Check) to be done up to 10 days before departure to the EU.
Return protocol (worming by a vet within 1-5 days before entering UK) has not changed.
I’ve been quoted £130 for the AHC. The only positive is that this will cover both dogs.

How does this compare to your vets’ pricing?

I’ve been quoted £130 for the AHC. The only positive is that this will cover both dogs.

How does this compare to your vets’ pricing?
I haven’t checked yet. But ‘pups’ rabies booster due in 3 weeks so i’ll be asking some questions then. (E.g. once they have had two annual vaccs, are we still allowed to wait 3 years for next booster, and then subsequently every 3 years).

there is a great vet near the Rotterdam to Hull ferry that does a dutch pet passport for Euro 40...

there is a great vet near the Rotterdam to Hull ferry that does a dutch pet passport for Euro 40...
OMG! Have I missed a trick here? 3/4 of our human household now have EU passports (as well as UK) and yet it didn’t occur to me to register the dogs as EU citizens!

Ended up needing new papers after the ones we had were rejected by the ferry company 3 hours before sailing after moving back from Middle East. Vet took all of our documents and transferred the info into a passport in the EU format and bingo, made the ferry.

So the ‘pups’ had their rabies boosters today.

- the vet can no longer complete the UK pet passport, so their boosters are recorded on a separate vaccination certificate
- rabies boosters are still valid for three years
- the vet advised to carry the old pet passport and as well as the new certificate
- when travelling the AHC is valid for 4 months (which is odd as humans only allowed 90 days)
- AHC costs £150, but up to 5 dogs can travel on it. He intimated that for my 4 dogs the price would be closer to £200, but not £150 per dog.

Hope this info useful for others too.

So the ‘pups’ had their rabies boosters today.

- the vet can no longer complete the UK pet passport, so their boosters are recorded on a separate vaccination certificate
- rabies boosters are still valid for three years
- the vet advised to carry the old pet passport and as well as the new certificate
- when travelling the AHC is valid for 4 months (which is odd as humans only allowed 90 days)
- AHC costs £150, but up to 5 dogs can travel on it. He intimated that for my 4 dogs the price would be closer to £200, but not £150 per dog.

Hope this info useful for others too.
Thanks for the update. Unfortunately we cannot go anywhere until September but your post is a timely reminder to check the dog and our documents are up to date.
Thank you

Just been charged £220 for 2 dog Animal Health Check (Buxton). What a complete waste of time / no added value. Took the vet ages - 9 signatures & stamps on just one of many such pages.

I believe you have to use it within 10 days after that you need a new one if re-entering the EU. Has anybody had any luck with or know anything about being able to use an EU dog passport regardless of where the dog resides?

Hate the thought of going through this again - time and expense and then having to repeat it every time you re-enter the EU !

Last edited:
Just been charged £220 for 2 dogs (Buxton). What a complete waste of time / no added value. Took the vet ages - 9 signatures & stamps on just one of many such pages.

I believe you have to use it within 10 days after that you need a new one if re-entering the EU. Has anybody had any luck with or know anything about being able to use an EU dog passport regardless of where the dog resides?

Hate the thought of going through this again - time and expense and then having to repeat it every time you re-enter the EU !
I’ve spoken to a UK breeder who has dogs on passports from different EU countries - but I suspect it may be related to where they were imported from.
I travel regularly (or did, and hope to start doing so again) to NL and will also be enquiring about getting dutch passports for my guys.
Definitely worth looking into I think.

Just been charged £220 for 2 dog Animal Health Check (Buxton). What a complete waste of time / no added value. Took the vet ages - 9 signatures & stamps on just one of many such pages.

Isn’t the AHC for entry back into the uk so it’ll be irrelevant what nationality passport the dog has?