Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Petrol?

There is a war brewing against diesel in France... at least in urban areas.

How does the stationary heating work with a petrol engine?

How does the stationary heating work with a petrol engine?

Obvious with petrol....;)

Btw , the war against diesel is all arround...

VW uses both Webasto and Eberspächer stationary heatings on diesel or petrol fuel.
On petrol even on the Transporter T2.

Thanks, I thought that petrol might be a bit explosive for this type of device, but good to know.

Seems the MBMP only offers diesel options.

Decided a bit late in the day to read exactly what the Euro 6 regulations are and As a result I am far more positive. I will still wait until they are rolling off the production line and for the current crisis to unfold but on the face of it a properly tested vehicle if it is a diesel is only marginally more polluting than a petrol in relation to Nitrogen (NOx) and cleaner in relation to Carbon Monoxide (CO).

I appreciate these levels have to be genuine but find it difficult to believe that they won't be in the future. I am more than happy to be slapped down but felt like being positive on a Sunday evening :)

Euro 6 emission limits (petrol):

• CO - 1.0 g/km
  • HC - 0.10 g/km
  • NOx - 0.06 g/km
  • PM - 0.005 g/km (Direct Injection only)
  • PM - 6.0x10 ^11/km (Direct Injection only)
Euro 6 emission limits (diesel):

• CO - 0.50 g/km
  • HC+ NOx - 0.17 g/km
    NOx - 0.08 g/km
  • PM - 0.005 g/km
  • PM - 6.0x10 ^11/km
Taken from full article at:-

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/fuels-and-environment/euro-emissions-standards.html

Good post Mike.
What would sway me towards petrol is not having the Adblue rubbish. As we use our Cali Beach as our daily driver its starting to get a few miles on her. At the moment i don't see an alternative vehicle and the T6 dosen't sway me.
I can't see the future in diesel with Adblue.

So Volkswagen really need a decent economical petrol with good power that is simple and will challenge the current diesel line up.
Petrol will never be as economical, but if the difference was only 50-75 miles on similar size fuel tank, and the power was the same or more, i will definitely consider a Petrol version.

Good post Mike.
What would sway me towards petrol is not having the Adblue rubbish. As we use our Cali Beach as our daily driver its starting to get a few miles on her. At the moment i don't see an alternative vehicle and the T6 dosen't sway me.
I can't see the future in diesel with Adblue.

So Volkswagen really need a decent economical petrol with good power that is simple and will challenge the current diesel line up.
Petrol will never be as economical, but if the difference was only 50-75 miles on similar size fuel tank, and the power was the same or more, i will definitely consider a Petrol version.
That was a while ago so that's my decision made October 2015.

Pleased I made the decision but it would have been nice to have had the choice of a petrol and chance to test one. I suspect the decision would have been the same.
Lots of stuff coming out about diesel but I can't see there being any meaningful ban or at least one that will effect the T6 in the near future. Hopefully as the bans start kicking in it will be done scientifically and they will start with the most polluting vehicles.
In the meantime the vehicle manufacturers have a pretty clear message about what is required so nothing would surprise me about what they can come up with.
Waiting for me, sadly, was not an option as the clock is ticking and I need to be out there in my Cali now.

Mike

I read that VW are developing a 10 speed DSG to replace the current 7 speed version.
When that is sorted and mated to a petrol engine it should be a more driveable and practical unit for the California.

And if we were to all swop back to running petrol vehicles how long would it be before Uncle Tom Cobbly and all start banging on about how much the CO2 emission levels have risen since we got rid of those dirty diesel cars? It was our Government who encouraged us all to buy diesels to help meet the internationally agreed emissions targets to control global warming. IMO the only way forward, at least until a viable alternative is developed that will service all world needs, is to continue to make the diesel engine cleaner still.

I am all for improving air polution in cities and every where else for that matter but when politicians and other "informed" bodies call for a ban on diesel cars they are, as usual, picking on the easy target. I stand to be corrected but as far as I am aware, almost all lorries, buses, taxis, tractors, tanks and other military equipment, large static emergency pumps and generators, river and sea transport, domestic and commercial oil fired heating systems etc etc along with every jet engine in the world produce the same type of polution that is currently being blamed almost exclusively on the diesel car. I never hear these same people calling with the same degree of ferocity, for significant changes in the way we power all of these other applications, it's just the diesel car as usual. They know full well that they cannot ban lorries, buses, taxis, ships, boats and aeroplanes from our cities as that is their life blood. However they feel that they can ban diesel cars or at least threaten to and then have the justification to use the diesel car owner still further as a cash cow.
Despite the recent VW emissions scandal new diesel cars are very much cleaner than they used to be even a few short years ago and yet there are still people calling for a ban on the sale of new diesels cars. How much extra polution will be released into the atmosphere if the proposed diesel scrappage scheme, that we cannot afford, goes ahead? Yes it will get some of the older and more poluting vehicles off the roads but those old vehicles have to be scrapped, recycled and new vehicles made to replace them. All this is likely to create much more pollution than if they were just left on the roads.

All these people mean well and yes of course we need to tackle these pollution levels but the answer is much more drastic and complicated than just picking on the owners of diesel cars regardless of their car's age or emission levels. The press don't help by sending out the message time and time again that it's the demon diesel car that is responsible. If they are really serious in their quest to reduce pollution levels and they should be, then they need to address each and every one of the aforementioned pollution sources with equal vigour.

However since that is a very complicated issue and one which there are no easy answers to they will continue to bash the diesel car owner instead.

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Agree with @Borris ,
here in Belgium they used to give a big discount on new diesels until a few years ago.
Now they all baning those diesels that are now a few years old and are not euro 5/6
Many people who always drove petrol changed thru the years to diesel as they got a discount people look at the benefit in the end ...
some people living in city's can't drive up until thiere doorsstep as they got
euro 3/4 diesels.

Thesame will probally be with petrol in a few years.
It is all about the big money!

The industry ...thats where they schould get the money , they are those who pollute the most.

Last edited:
And another thing, The current nasty that diesel cars are being singled out for producing is NOx (nitogen oxides). If we are talking about the NOx levels in London specifically then I suspect that the jet engine plays more than just a minor role in that. Whilst jet aero engine manufacturers have apparently made their engines much more efficient and less poluting in recent years, NOx is one pollutant produced by jet engines that has yet to be controlled. According to the interweb there are over three quarters of a million aircraft movements at Heathrow and Gatwick combined every year. 1400 per day at Heathrow alone. Gatwick lies to the south of central London and Heathrow is due west of the capital. The prevailing wind direction over London blows from the south west. It's my guess that a significant proportion of this NOx pollution is drifting into London from these numerous aircraft movements.

Have you ever been to Kew Gardens? Great place but you cannot fail to notice the seemingly endless queue of two and four engined heavy jet airliners passing only a few hundred feet above your head at a rate of about one every 45 seconds This goes on every day of every year and has gone on for many many decades. Tell me that's not adding significantly to the NOx levels that the diesel car is being almost solely blamed for.

I'm not trying to say that the diesel car is not to blame for some of this pollution but I strongly suspect that the growing movement to ban diesels aided and abetted by elements of the press are conveniently ignoring some pretty obvious factors and in doing so are trying to hoodwink the general public.

Last edited:
And another thing, The current nasty that diesel cars are being singled out for producing is NOx (nitogen oxides). If we are talking about the NOx levels in London specifically then I suspect that the jet engine plays more than just a minor role in that. Whilst jet aero engine manufacturers have apparently made their engines much more efficient and less poluting in recent years, NOx is one pollutant produced by jet engines that has yet to be controlled. According to the interweb there are around 1.3 million aircraft movements at Heathrow and Gatwick combined every year. Heathrow lies to the west of central London and Gatwick due south. The prevailing wind direction over London blows from the south west. It's my guess that a significant proportion of this NOx pollution is drifting into London from these numerous aircraft movements.

Have you ever been to Kew Gardens? Great place but you cannot fail to notice the heavy two and four engined jets passing only a few hundred feet above your head about every 45 seconds This goes on every day of every year and has gone on for many many decades. Tell me that's not adding significantly to the NOx levels that the diesel car is being almost solely blamed for.

I'm not trying to say that the diesel car is not to blame for some of this pollution but I strongly suspect that the growing movement to ban diesels aided and abetted by elements of the press are conveniently ignoring some pretty obvious factors and in doing so are trying to hoodwink the general public.
The same press that has all their printed versions delivered by diesel lorries and vans.

Too many politicians and councils see the motorist as an easy bottomless income source. The press then whip up hysteria and again the easy target is who?

This is an interesting debate. However, having ordered our Cali and await its impending delivery, I would certainly be rather cheesed off if the diesel no-go areas became a problem in the future. Particularly as the government has promoted diesels and there is no present alternative for the Cali in the UK market.

I had a petrol Caravelle, it was very poor particularly when loaded - and thirsty. We changed it to a 102 HP diesel and the difference was night and day. We had 7 passengers plus luggage, full frame tent plus camping gear, 4 bikes on the back and two canoes on the roof. The van was great with 30 mpg and could easily hold up fast motorway speeds. I anticipate many of our Cali trips will be heavily loaded and at present I am still a diesel convert.
One of the real problems with the air quality is that 99% of city cars have one person per car. I recently got a nasty letter that I had infringed Londons LEZ (no one here in Wales know what it is !!). Un-beknown to me the LEZ includes heathrow, so when I arrived to catch a plane for our holidays.... I got nabbed by the cameras. The fact that I had a full car with 7 passengers didn't come into it.

About 25 years ago, I witnessed "people power" in action in one of the German cities (think it was Cologne). The financial center would only allow cars with very expensive red number plates in the city during the week (their equivalent of the congestion charge). So people who wanted to get to the city center would stand at any convenient street corner and any car with a red number plate and a spare place in the car would stop and pick them up, and deliver them to the center where-upon the passengers only had a short distance to get to their workplace.

The agreed fee was 1 deutschmark, which over the year helped the car owner pay towards the red number plate, but more importantly it ensured all cars with red number plates were (on the most part) fully occupied. I often thought the people of London could do this with the congestion charge ..... £1 per person would more than pay for the congestion charge for my 7 seater. What with social media etc. surely this sort of thing could happen and help clean up our cities ??

Back