Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Pop tops

• Thread starter Nicholas Bowers
  • Start date
N

Nicholas Bowers

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Bit advise please on pop tops, are they waterproof?, there seems to be a few things on the market, wraps, covers and internal roof insulation, were worried about pop top getting wet and us leaking.

They are almost waterproof. If they were 100% waterproof they would be too hot in the summer.

You need to prevent bedding from touching the canvas, or you will sometimes get damp bedding as moisture will wick through the fabric.

Also, if you close the top when it’s wet, make sure you open it to dry on the next dry day at home.

Alternatively, you can fit an internal isotop which you just fit & forget. Acts a bit like Goretex, and will also keep the roof cooler in the summer / warmer in the winter.

Or you can get a external cover which requires fitting each time you want to use it. Downside is that it takes up more storage space and you will get soaked if you need to install while it’s raining when you arrive at campsite. Then you will need to also dry your wet clothes.

I’m sure others will add comments with pros & cons of both.

They are almost waterproof. If they were 100% waterproof they would be too hot in the summer.

You need to prevent bedding from touching the canvas, or you will sometimes get damp bedding as moisture will wick through the fabric.

Also, if you close the top when it’s wet, make sure you open it to dry on the next dry day at home.

Alternatively, you can fit an internal isotop which you just fit & forget. Acts a bit like Goretex, and will also keep the roof cooler in the summer / warmer in the winter.

Or you can get a external cover which requires fitting each time you want to use it. Downside is that it takes up more storage space and you will get soaked if you need to install while it’s raining when you arrive at campsite. Then you will need to also dry your wet clothes.

I’m sure others will add comments with pros & cons of both.
I would suggest the fitting of an Isotop liner means it is even more important to ensure the external canvas is dried before prolonged storage, so hardly ” fit & forget “.

W
I would suggest the fitting of an Isotop liner means it is even more important to ensure the external canvas is dried before prolonged storage, so hardly ” fit & forget “.
Once the Isotop is fitted, you never need to touch it and your internal mattress stays dry.

Obviously you need to apply some common sense, ie - drying the canvas when you get home as you would with any tent…same logic required for no cover, internal cover or external cover (if installed when wet).

Last edited:
W

Once the Isotop is fitted, you never need to touch it and your internal mattress stays dry.

Obviously you need to apply some common sense, ie - drying the canvas when you get home, but same logic required for no cover, internal cover or external cover (if installed when wet).
I agree, but you said “ Alternatively, you can fit an internal isotop which you just fit & forget. “ which could be interpreted as not having to dry off the external canvas.

Bit advise please on pop tops, are they waterproof?, there seems to be a few things on the market, wraps, covers and internal roof insulation, were worried about pop top getting wet and us leaking.
If you get MY2023 van the pop top has new 2 layer canvas that is waterproof and does not wick moisture through.

Back