Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Popaloo or alternative?

NShep

NShep

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach 4Motion
Hey folks,
I am thinking about getting a popaloo for Christmas, does anyone have any experience of using a popaloo that they would like to share (sparing the detail!)

It is for occasional use and emergencies, I am unsure about the more permanent camping toilet as it would get such little use.

Anyone used a popaloo?

We have one and have used it on a couple of occasions. It is fine, seems a good concept and well made. We had real problems with the accompanying tent- not that there was anything wrong with it but it took us a while to get the knack of packing it away in spite of the video that they have done- once you 'get it' it is only a minute of a job.

I have used a Popaloo without any problems well made and sturdy I keep mine in the pull out
Drawer. Like larkrise I did struggle a little with the tent the first time but then I struggled with the vw binds as well so not suprised :laugh2

We have one, but as said watch the video to see how to put it away before you go away. Great for wet clothes wellies etc on wet camping trip. Be warned if looking at other makes, our friends have another brand with a mesh top in it. Everything gets wet when raining including you if taking a leak!

Hi,

Pops up with ease but popping down....no way. I had to watch a Youtube video before I could put the thing away.

Regards
Mike

Do you think it would be good to get the actual toilet and then a cheap toilet tent instead of the expensive loo tent?

All set up for those trips that U.S. Older ones have to make sometimes.image.jpg

Photo should be posted in the bike rack thread as well!

We've got a contraption off Amazon that looks a bit like a small collapsible camping stool, with a toilet seat instead of a canvas one. It came with c10 bags so I need to source more (I think of them as human poo bags - nice!).

It works perfectly well, cost about a third of the popaloo and takes up quite a bit less space.

Of course it's only for v occasional use, but then so would a popaloo be.

Ian

We've got a contraption off Amazon that looks a bit like a small collapsible camping stool, with a toilet seat instead of a canvas one. It came with c10 bags so I need to source more (I think of them as human poo bags - nice!).

It works perfectly well, cost about a third of the popaloo and takes up quite a bit less space.

Of course it's only for v occasional use, but then so would a popaloo be.

Ian

Do you have a link?

Think popaloo can be much more serviceable than occasional (at least in our experience) but would dearly love a nicer tent for it.

You can use any tent you like with it. I got a good deal on purchasing tent and loo from the company and have had no problems folding the tent although it is an acquired knack.
Nice and clean to empty and you don't need a chemical disposal point.

Agree re the loo. We have mastered the tent just don't find it very great quality.

... and might add that with the sun in the wrong direction you can be less private than you might like!

It is for nighttime use, so unless you are in the far north, no problem.

Search for "Portable Utility tent" in your favourite place to see a variety of options.
We use a £1 bucket from B&Q, topped with a seat from Wilko for about £4 and one of these tents. Total - £30
Plus home made bags, using airtight waste sacks (doubled up just in case) plus a large disposable nappy cut up in the bottom to soak up the juices:oops: (about 20p per time if used)

When finished, simply tie up the top and dispose of by hanging in a tree or on a fence.....:D

Also use the tent as a shower cubicle if needed.

The thing is the Popaloo bags contain a gelling agent, steriliser and deodoriser and something to breakdown solids, all natural agents, which allow you to dispose it with general refuse safely.

I wonder what parents do with disposable nappies then.....

Seriously, all nappies and doggie bags are all deemed safe to put into landfill by the council.

We use a popaloo - stowed in the drawer and used in a Quechua base seconds pop up tent. The official bags are ridiculously expensive and so we use bin liners with the bottom corners tied so the bag forms the shape of a 'V' and then put a dollop of cat litter in the bottom. A fraction of the cost.

I noticed in my local Decathlon (last week) that they now do a pop-up 'upright' tent for dressing / toilets. Can't find it on the website as I write so can't post a link. Maybe worth checking out if you are local.

Just saying as it is.
Cost is relative. I just cannot be bothered with the extra time and effort involved.:thumb

put a dollop of cat litter in the bottom
Don't you have to scratch away at the litter for ages afterwards to cover your doings though? (Only humans owned by cats will know what I mean :D)

Hey folks,
I am thinking about getting a popaloo for Christmas
Great idea, think I'll get the missus one. Problem solved! :D

Back