Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti: a good idea or not?

Strictly for number 1s but at 3am when it is raining it is a no brainer. I bought a ready made black cover with a built in cushion on the top and it sits nehind passenger seat in our beach, you soon forget it’s a bog and it makes a good foot stool. Zero smell issues.

I'm not sure, but I don't think most people poo at night, so all we have is a small lidded pot (about 9" in diameter, 6" tall) for peeing. Campsite facilities for pooing. On the road in extreme emergencies a folding Bivvy Loo.

View attachment 66117

View attachment 66118
We have a bivvyloo too and think its a great bit of kit. I see now you can buy a lid for it too!

We have a PP 345. It took us a while to start using it for some reason - takes up storage/bit of faff/facilities on banded sites are fine (if a bit of a trudge and you have to get dressed)/were unsure if it would be whiffy (it isn't)

Well, we use it now and find it a great piece of kit. V well-designed. Hygienic. Easy to service. Good flush. It is even useful if we are visiting somewhere midway through the day and it is required; just pop it in the floor area, pull the blinds and... relief!

We empty it every few days.

We’ve used our Thetford 335 in a corner of the blow up awning at nighttime (daytime covered with the Dunelm cube), when we take it away, but have a toilet tent for when we just use the Cali awning. Like many others, it’s very handy first thing in the morning and mid night wee’s, when a jaunt to the site facilities is just out of the question...

This is getting to the stage of "too much information".
I'm reminded of my Corfu days where it was obligatory to place used toilet paper in a bin, the excuse being that the waste piping was so badly constructed it would block. I suspect that quite a few tourists would choose not to return a second time.
The “ no paper “ rule applies all across Greece.

Bought one when we got the cali; haven't found the need to use it in nearly two years!

Never wanted one, bought one which we house in a toilet tent would not be without it now. No more Mrs K waking me up to walk across a site as she needs to pee.

Question: is the Brandrup tray worth getting? Does it make things simpler?
It’s first class. It locates the portapotti within the lower cupboard.
incidentally I ha e used it a lot over the last holiday and found it simply excellent.
It could benefit from being higher, but that could be easily sorted with a box under of the necessary dimensions.

If you use the Rok Strap idea, be mindful of the straps when rotating the seat. One of our straps got caught in the mechanism (to give you a clue there was only three of us in the van, it wasn’t me and the dog has no thumbs). Stuck solid and couldn’t turn the chair to drive. Ended up having to open some of the mechanism with long nose pliers and coax the webbing strap out. Took ages and a lesson learned.

Think some clever people on the forum worked out you can use a Dunelm collapsible storage box (~£10) as a cover/footstool. Am sure if you search for it on here you’ll find it.

We keep ours in the boot and use a toilet tent, but I would use it inside if needed eg storm or travelling without kids and able to sleep up top.
I can confirm the Dunelm ottoman blanket box is a perfect fit and you would never know what lurks beneath!

We never wanted one.
Never needed one.
Got one because of Covid-19.
Will probably always take it along now.

At night, in the early morning and for the kids, it's just easier.

Exactly the same. Covid and having a toddler prompted the purchase in 2020 of the unthinkable – a loo we take around with us. Turned out to be the best purchase of the year. It’s been so handy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We used to have an SE with a 335 under the sink. When we bought this van, a dealers demo, we asked them to include this toilet, strap and under sink tray thingy on our accessories list. However we both vowed never to use it unless it was a dire emergency. When we sold the van the 335 hung about in the garage, still mint and unused until we sold it.

Then along came Covid. With camp site facilities closed we were forced to reconsider the whole toilet thing.

Since by then we had a Cali Beach, we were no longer restricted by the space available under the sink. Accordingly we purchased the taller Thetford 365 Porta Poti. This is very useful since getting up these days has become more challenging due to knee issues. Anyway this toilet has been a real game changer as it is available inside the van for use both during trips and through out the night.

None of our previous concerns have been realised. It doesn't smell or leak and there is no mess at all. It lives under a purpose made cover that has a cushioned top so it doesn't look like a portable toilet and also serves as a foot stool. Mrs B absolutely loves it. No more long cold trips to the toilet block at the dead of night. It's also easy to set up and easy to clean out and as the name implies it can be used 365 days a year. :thumb

We do have one strict rule though: Absolutely no number twos.

Last edited:
Definitely need one for off grid camping and emergencies (which seem to be more frequent as I get older).
The people leaving human excrement on the NC500 probably don’t have one - say no more.

Definitely need one for off grid camping and emergencies (which seem to be more frequent as I get older).
The people leaving human excrement on the NC500 probably don’t have one - say no more.
Agreed, we try to use public facilities etc but its great for leave no trace. Too many folk for the digging hole idea these days.
Domestic toilets are not the most ideal disposal experience, care required!

Our electric flush jobbie now sits behind the passenger seat, not in the way, even when bed flat, very handy, no longer used outside in our pop up stripy tent :thumb

View attachment 83932
Now there's posh......an electric flush inside a stripy tent! The fairy lights and music are a nice touch too. Do they come on automatically when you enter? We have to sing to ourselves and manually pump our flush mechanism. :(

:rolleyes:Could I now be suffering from toilet envy?

If you don't mind me saying, it could do with an old Indian rug, a few copies of the sporting times and/or The Lady and possibly an Aspidistra to finish the effect. Perhaps one of those Gentlemen that hands out towels as well.

The window in the back wall is a bit unnecessary though unless that is .......you are an incontinent Punch and Judy man.

Seriously though, I absolutely love it. :thumb

Last edited:
Agreed, we try to use public facilities etc but its great for leave no trace. Too many folk for the digging hole idea these days.
Domestic toilets are not the most ideal disposal experience, care required!
I’ve seen some really lovely public toilets in France. If you like squatting in 2 footprints and aiming for a hole in the ground. We decided early on that the way to go was with a porta potti. Getting up at 3 in the morning in the pouring rain to go to the loo on a campsite was not for us. And even worse if you stay on an Aire as there’s nowhere to go. Taking a spade with you, digging a hole and doing the burying trick when someone else has had the same idea as you...No. give us a Porta potti any day.

... but who can say they had memorable moments in their toilet tents, hey?
:embarrased

toilet with view.jpg
For the 10% of the time i'm cut from civilisation or in emergencies: Luggable-Loo (bio-degradable bags); nonuple use.
The other 90% of the time I can do my daily main business in bars, public buildings, supermarkets,...
Sorry, just can't stand the idea of doing it in the living room and keeping it in the kitchen. Also, it saves me a whole cabinet!