Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti

We bought a Thetford 335 when we bought our T5 in 2010. It lives under the sink, I had to raise the shelf. Never been used!

We bought a Thetford 335 when we bought our T5 in 2010. It lives under the sink, I had to raise the shelf. Never been used!
If you haven’t used it in 10 years surely the cupboard space would be much more useful..It’s just a white plastic ornament...All our pots and pans mugs and glasses go in that cupboard. If it’s not been used you would probably get back the money you paid if you sell it..

Someone suggested a storage box. Perfect. Can keep chemicals etc in the box as well.

Has anyone found a seat raiser for the 335? It’s a bit low for us
We have just bought a 345 which is taller than the 335 and according to the measurements given to us by the dealer will just slip under the rear parcel shelf with a couple of cm to spare.

We've just received a 335 £67 on Amazon and Kampa Loo Loo tent £29 on Amazon as that seemed to be a good combination with lots of recommendations on here.

Tent bag is smaller than I had imagined and the 335 a little low but should be fine. Both will live in the boot.
You can sit the loo on top of a
Dometic is better made than Porta Potti, imo, BUT is just a little bit too big to go in the cupboard with the food!!!!!
We tested it at one of the motorhome shows. Yes, we actually did sit-on tests in public, trousers up though, how anal is that !! and decided the Dometic was the most comfortable.
It fits under the back shelf with the shelf in the lower position.
Dometic is fine until you need a replacement part. Our seal went and we had to buy a whole bottom chamber (nearly as expensive as a new loo). Switched to the Thetford when something else went on the Dometic as they sell all the parts separately and cheaply.

We've just received a 335 £67 on Amazon and Kampa Loo Loo tent £29 on Amazon as that seemed to be a good combination with lots of recommendations on here.

Tent bag is smaller than I had imagined and the 335 a little low but should be fine. Both will live in the boot.
You can sit the loo on a 20 cm high Really Useful Box that’s filled with other camping stuff and can stack on or under other RUBoxes. It raises it to a comfortable height (handy if you have dodgy knees).
Will check the other dimensions and take a pic later.

Last edited:
You can sit the loo on a 20 cm high Really Useful Box that’s filled with other camping stuff and can stack on or under other RUBoxes. It raises it to a comfortable height (handy if you have dodgy knees).
This works perfectly. Thank you

Perfect thank you

We have just bought a 345 which is taller than the 335 and according to the measurements given to us by the dealer will just slip under the rear parcel shelf with a couple of cm to spare.
That was my thought too. A little bigger than the 335. Can you confirm it fits ok? Thanks

This was a useful video from Chili in Taiwan. Set the CC subtitles to auto, English to get an approximate translation in english... Loads of other Ocean stuff from him too.

Thetford 335, kept under the sink with the bran drip tray. Pulled out for the night, fits even if the downstairs bed is used. Not used during the day.
Great for 1-2 nights - for me, mrs and 1 young kid.
Would not be used if there were 4 adults...
Very happy with it

You can sit the loo on top of a

Dometic is fine until you need a replacement part. Our seal went and we had to buy a whole bottom chamber (nearly as expensive as a new loo). Switched to the Thetford when something else went on the Dometic as they sell all the parts separately and cheaply.
We had a Dometic when we first bought the van. It was a total disaster and leaked everywhere Because the top tank is permanently under pressure. Bought a Thetford Porta potti And has been brilliant. Highly recommended.

Fiamma Bi Pot. Big/high enough to be comfy. Large opening for clog free emptying (so you can use proper loo roll). Stores under rear shelf (not keen on stowing in with my food). We tend to use with a toilet tent.

how high is the rear shelf? i take it you split it for storage?

We just bought a Thetford 345 to replace our 335 , slightly bigger capacity but still fits under rear shelf. My son inherited our 335 for his van.

One thing most will not have experienced is having the portapotti upside down in the middle of the van as ours did once on some alpine bends, it took a while to find a safe pull in and I was very pleased to find there was no spillage from it at all despite being upside down for some time I always put it in the back now where that cannot happen.

One thing most will not have experienced is having the portapotti upside down in the middle of the van as ours did once on some alpine bends, it took a while to find a safe pull in and I was very pleased to find there was no spillage from it at all despite being upside down for some time I always put it in the back now where that cannot happen.
It happened to me in the alps too, not completely upside down, just on the side. No spillage. But I had emptied the waste before leaving. Since that scare I travel with the PP well secured.

Mine used to have the habit of sliding elegantly to starboard in transit finally coming to rest in the side door foot well.

Always a most pleasant surprise on opening the side door to have one's loo roll out, normally in a crowded car park with dozens of strangers watching the show :shocked

My Fiamma loo is a bit low (although low is better from a healthy position point of view). I made up a box which the loo can be transported in and when upturned used to sit the loo on, raising it to a conventional toilet height.
Hey Alice, I purchased Folding Aluminium Single Step from Amazon, great piece of kit: Door Step, Bike fitting Step & best of all Thetford 335 Adult User Base! https://www.amazon.co.uk/Folding-Aluminium-Adjustable Single Step £33.99

Mine used to have the habit of sliding elegantly to starboard in transit finally coming to rest in the side door foot well.

Always a most pleasant surprise on opening the side door to have one's loo roll out, normally in a crowded car park with dozens of strangers watching the show :shocked
Even worse than that is going up the Pyrenees to Andorra and busting for a pee. After great relief open the trap and get the whole lot in your face..I didn’t read the instructions where it said if travelling to high altitudes release the pressure in the bottom tank before using...Nice....

That was my thought too. A little bigger than the 335. Can you confirm it fits ok? Thanks
Hi, our Ocean is on a ship from Emden at the moment so I'll let you know in (hopefully) 2-3 weeks :) Our dealer assures us it will fit so fingers crossed as we've already bought it!

Hi All,
We use a Popaloo. It has a folding base which is strong and stable with powder bags to insert. The toilet seat then fits on the top .The bags contain a special powder that’s absorbs everything !! It’s completely compostable, so very green. You just tie up the bag afterwards and throw away. No chemicals. No water. The powder absorbs it all. It comes with a pop up toilet tent if you don’t have an awning.
The only downside is reordering the powder bags but the company is so quick to send them out. A British company too, with first class customer service . Every purchase contributes to a toilet twinning scheme for some of the worlds poorest communities. It’s one of the best things we’ve bought for our Cali .
Hey, very interested in this ,thinking if getting one for our new Cali, can the Popaloo fit in the van with the bed down at night ?

Hey, very interested in this ,thinking if getting one for our new Cali, can the Popaloo fit in the van with the bed down at night ?
Crikey, the bags work out at about £1.20 each!
I don't think I could be bothered with putting it up and down.
I was also suprised that the price of the loo was £73.
For me, I'm happy to lose the extra bit of space that a portpotti takes up to not have to faff around or put bags in the rubbish. The poppaloo doesn't have a lid so if the contents are a bit wiffy you'd want to use another bag. The thing I like about a porta potti is that everything's contained in a sealed unit (smells and all, and flies and bugs can't get in).