Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Price difference between Beach and Ocean

The Startline had (has?) a good spec closer to the Caravelle than the Kombi. Found a couple of interior photos of a T5.1 Startline :
full_0849-automobily-volkswagen-multivan-2-0-tdi-bm-startline-1.jpg
automobily-volkswagen-multivan-2-0-tdi-bm-startline_7.JPG

Looks remarkably like a Beach without an elevating roof to me.
Possible differences: Carpet instead of plastic floor, No evidence of 2nd battery. Not sure if it has the window blinds or not.

Does it really matter? Fact is there is more equipment in the Ocean and therefore more work hours in the build. All Transporters start as a metal box with doors and from then on its the build and stuff that adds up. Just be happy to own one or the other.

Think Startline had the full bed as to get that all that they needed was the multiflex board. In the German market the Startline was positioned as a leisure vehicle for private use hence the better trim than the 'vans' (but not as upmarket as the Caravelle/Comfortline).
Mains hookup didn't appear on the Beach either until late 2013/2014.

Does it really matter? Fact is there is more equipment in the Ocean and therefore more work hours in the build. All Transporters start as a metal box with doors and from then on its the build and stuff that adds up. Just be happy to own one or the other.
No not really, and this thread has made me glad I got mine when I did. :happy
Might even treat her to a few upgrades after working out how much more I would have to put in for a like for like spec newer version.

Surely no mains plugin and 13 amp socket and full bed arc?

Early beaches ie 2013 didn't have mains hook up even as an option, few years later it became optional, now I understand standard.

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a height adjuster on the side of the seat? but presumably no swivel function.
full_0849-automobily-volkswagen-multivan-2-0-tdi-bm-startline-1-jpg.29046

Do my eyes deceive me or is that a height adjuster on the side of the seat? but presumably no swivel function.
full_0849-automobily-volkswagen-multivan-2-0-tdi-bm-startline-1-jpg.29046

They look identical to the T5.1 Caravelle seats (fabric aside). I was about to say I don't remember a passenger side height adjuster - but that's a LHD vehicle so makes sense. No swivel on those bases.

I think the only way to justify the beach is buy it with no options at all then it’s at its cheapest price. Once you start adding then the ocean is a better choice value wise. Just my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In our case, the most important was a five-place, full-value car for everyday use. The Ocean version is definitely a "holiday" car. As far as the price is concerned, after the car is equipped with everything that is essential in the price, there is no difference. I will add that the kitchen in the Ocean version is cool to brew coffee, but I can not imagine cooking for two weeks in the car!

In our case, the most important was a five-place, full-value car for everyday use. The Ocean version is definitely a "holiday" car. As far as the price is concerned, after the car is equipped with everything that is essential in the price, there is no difference. I will add that the kitchen in the Ocean version is cool to brew coffee, but I can not imagine cooking for two weeks in the car!
Imagination - some have it and some haven't. We have had no problem on 3/5 weeks trips around Scandinavia and Southern Europe living in our SE and that means using ALL the facilities, cooker/fridge/sink/fresh water tank and waste tank.
Oh and I use my SE as my everyday car and my wife has her Smart Car.

I think the only way to justify the beach is buy it with no options at all then it’s at its cheapest price. Once you start adding then the ocean is a better choice value wise. Just my thoughts.

Unless you are making your choice based purely on price alone then the above statement is nonsense. If, you are basing your choice purely on price then you are completely missing the point. The Ocean and the Beach are different vehicles. You buy one or the other depending on your personal needs and that also goes for options. There are many ways to justify buying a Beach over an Ocean without considering the price, its greater versatility being one for a start.

If it were just an exercise in how many toys you can get for you hard earned then I concede that the Ocean may be better value but how many people buy a Cali on that basis?

Last edited:
I started this post with the goal of understanding what's happening with pricing between the two versions. I've since put a deposit on a nearly new Ocean as (and I can't believe I'm saying this...) Oceans are looking good value (there I did it, the market will now crash).
It wasn't to start the old Beach vs Ocean debate, although I suspect that's inevitable :)

Wow certainly glad I got on the bandwagon when I did then, shows how much it's changed. I had one of the last of the T5s and that was I think 36k base price and a around the 40k mark with extras. I paid about 33k I think in the end as a demo. I don't think I could justify spending over 50k as much as I love it.

Worth bearing in mind exchange rates have flexed up to 20% in that time - which would add 8k to a 40k RRP

Imagination - some have it and some haven't. We have had no problem on 3/5 weeks trips around Scandinavia and Southern Europe living in our SE and that means using ALL the facilities, cooker/fridge/sink/fresh water tank and waste tank.
Oh and I use my SE as my everyday car and my wife has her Smart Car.
If the cooking consisted in reheating the canned soup, I can believe it!

If the cooking consisted in reheating the canned soup, I can believe it!
A little more than that, but then I use the whole vehicle as intended and don’t worry about the resale value. I just enjoy it and our travels. Each to his own,

On the german configurator.

A Beach costs 45k €
An Ocean is 60k €

Both base models with same engine.
Are the kitchen units from Bulthaup ?

On the german configurator.

A Beach costs 45k €
An Ocean is 60k €

Both base models with same engine.
Are the kitchen units from Bulthaup ?

Not just the kitchen units, don’t forget the Fridge, Diesel Parking Heater, 2nd Leisure Battery, Different Headlights and I’m sure I read somewhere the Base Vehicle for each model is different, but what that means I have no idea.

Not just the kitchen units, don’t forget the Fridge, Diesel Parking Heater, 2nd Leisure Battery, Different Headlights and I’m sure I read somewhere the Base Vehicle for each model is different, but what that means I have no idea.
Apart from 4 Motion, I'm pretty confident that they are the same base. To calculate the cost of the kitchen and storage a Coast vs Beach comparison would be better.

The Ocean comes with extras like a hydraulic roof that I would not choose even if they were a zero cost option.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Last edited:
I would include the fridge to be part of the kitchen, but i know what you´re saying
they aren´t really like for like. innit.

Price difference here is £10k.

Standard spec on the Ocean but extra on the Beach

Electric roof £???? not to everyones taste I agree, not available on Beach
2nd Leisure battery £???
Slightly better headlights £???
Upgraded Devonport alloys £1080
Folding mirrors £132
Drivers side sliding window £204
Power latching to tailgate and sliding door £126 + £132
MF Steering wheel £372
Heated seats £312
Front foglight with cornering function £360
Comfort dashboard package £1356 includes 3 zone a/c, parking heater, comfort dash etc
Lights and vision package £264
Interior light concept for Camper "Comfort" in passenger compartment £276
8 speakers not 6 £?
Heated washer nozzles £?
Double glazing £? Couldn't find this for the Beach??
Extra window to roof fabric £?
Fridge, sink, hob, worktop, fresh and waste water tanks, wardrobes/storage, kitchen cupboards. £?

This list is not to cause friction it is to show the difference is not just a kitchen to anyone interested in choosing a Cali. It is not a like for like comparison, two very similar but different campers.

The standard spec of these two models is completely different and each appeals to their own fans.

The above does highlight how the price difference narrows significantly when specced similar.

A Beach gives you more choice in picking the options you want and more seating/larger bed but doesn't have the option for fixed furniture/kitchen etc.

The choice for you is purely personal.

Price difference here is £10k.

Standard spec on the Ocean but extra on the Beach

Electric roof £???? not to everyones taste I agree, not available on Beach
2nd Leisure battery £???
Slightly better headlights £???
Upgraded Devonport alloys £1080
Folding mirrors £132
Drivers side sliding window £204
Power latching to tailgate and sliding door £126 + £132
MF Steering wheel £372
Heated seats £312
Front foglight with cornering function £360
Comfort dashboard package £1356 includes 3 zone a/c, parking heater, comfort dash etc
Lights and vision package £264
Interior light concept for Camper "Comfort" in passenger compartment £276
8 speakers not 6 £?
Heated washer nozzles £?
Double glazing £? Couldn't find this for the Beach??
Extra window to roof fabric £?
Fridge, sink, hob, worktop, fresh and waste water tanks, wardrobes/storage, kitchen cupboards. £?

This list is not to cause friction it is to show the difference is not just a kitchen to anyone interested in choosing a Cali. It is not a like for like comparison, two very similar but different campers.

The standard spec of these two models is completely different and each appeals to their own fans.

The above does highlight how the price difference narrows significantly when specced similar.

A Beach gives you more choice in picking the options you want and more seating/larger bed but doesn't have the option for fixed furniture/kitchen etc.

The choice for you is purely personal.
Yes. when you add it all up Larry the price gap narrows for sure.
Can´t wait for the California Promenade coming out.

Yes. when you add it all up Larry the price gap narrows for sure.
Can´t wait for the California Promenade coming out.
I have just had a go at speccing a 150 Kombi Transporter on the configurator and got to £41k very easily. Makes the California look good value.
Have you any tips for Lindau area? Heading back to Wasserburg this August.

Back