Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Question.....So when your California reaches build?

I love your post Pete.
You knew it was Ismahil this time......thats hilarious.
I think you must be as bad as me :embarrased

Reading this thread.... Is spurring memories of when I was eyeballing everything, like a maniac.... Last January..... We all really wanted to beat the VED rise back then.... The build, and shipping operation is massive..... thousands of vehicles on each load ship, takes 5+ days just to load another 5+ days to unload.... There are some really good treads on this forum somewhere also....
I was one of those maniacs ;). I even found out which ship my Cali was on.....and tracked it!:embarrased....no I did not call the port!! It wasna me.
We took delivery on 20th Feb. Now? I just enjoyed the whole experience and now 9k miles later 73 nights away and 8 countries visited....at home for a rest for the time being ready for next year (I like warmer weather!!). Denmark, Norway & Sweden here we come......already planning.:happy

Well if there are any week 45er's or earlier and expecting your Cali to go to Grimsby, I'd suggest it may be on it's way.
The WESER HIGHWAY Vehicle transporter left Emden this afternoon and is expected in Grimsby tomorrow at 16:30hrs.
I sort of hope mine isn't on it but can't check right now as I have the error message on Live chat!! because I fear it may take longer to come from Grimsby to SMG than Emden to SMG via sheerness.
Are you sure? I have a feeling that all SMG's vehicles come via Sheerness. I made the wrong assumption last year that my cali came via Sheerness but in fact was via Grimsby (VW Birmingham). I discovered my error in the small hours but in time to be able to track it to Grimsby.

Are you sure? I have a feeling that all SMG's vehicles come via Sheerness.
I think thats generally correct (you self confessed maniac) but if Shearness or cargo travelling to it are full there have been occasions where they have had Calis go to Grimsby.

I made the wrong assumption last year that my cali came via Sheerness but in fact was via Grimsby (VW Birmingham). I discovered my error in the small hours but in time to be able to track it to Grimsby.
You Maniac :shocked

Ha, yes I expect he would be :)

Still no joy for me, order accepted by the factory 13th Nov but no build week. He advised me to contact my dealer for an update 'from the sales office'. I can only think it must be something that is in my spec that is holding it up getting a build week as others seem to get theirs ASAP after ordering.

I received similar comments from Ismahill today, see live chat below:

I have just checked up on your order and for some reason I can't view the status code on your vehicle on the order tracking system. It only shows that your vehicle order has been accepted on the 15th November. 14:49:4

How long does it normally take to get a production date from acceptance of order? I placed the order with the dealer on 30/10/201714:51:51

IsmahilI It depends completely on the factory availability, we don't have an approximate time frame, but even if has been accepted we are unable to get this information on the order tracking system because it doesn't provide this information to us for your current order. I would advise contacting your selling van centre to enquire as to why they/we are unable to get all the information.

Have now contacted my dealer but have not yet received a response.

Well good luck to the pair of you!
I remember you didn't want yours too soon @itguy so hopefully it plays into your hands abit.
That said once the order is in.....every second counts and plays with your mind.

Yes we didn’t want an early delivery that’s true, but I’d quite like one before Apr 1st just in case the budget on weds changes the VED again on diesels!! I’m sure it will be getting a build week soon.

Ask my dealer for the order number so I could track the vehicle, he said “no need to track it as it will arrive today.” Ordered late Sep, build week 45 now arrived in the UK.

Pity I won’t be able to collect it until late Dec as I’ll be in Canada Ice Climbing ❄️ Looks like Santa will bring me a new toy

Chris, ours is build week 46 as well and we were told to allow 6 weeks - so just before Christmas. I haven't done any more chasing yet though.
I've finally done a bit of chasing via the dealer (just warming up for 'hyper-stalking'!) and was told that it's at status 20 and, as it's a week 46 build, it's being built this week. I said that this is week 47 so surely it was built last week but was told that the factory works on a 53 week calendar and so their week 46 is actually a regular week 47!!

@Pete_Hampton - you must be very excited now... Has that ship docked yet?
@2020 freedom - is yours on the same boat as Pete_Hampton's?
@Properjob - not sure about 52 weeks vs 53 in a year, but mine was build week 46, and I was told just now that mine's at Emden waiting for a ship. Not sure how often these ships sail, so it could be there for a few days yet I guess.
@phillme - sounds like yours could be catching mine up and getting the same ship...

@ChrisS my guess is that week 46 will be ready at the dealership 15th of December ....

Has that ship docked yet?
'My ship' [name unknown] arrived in port last week on 17/11, Van should be on route to Guildford as we speak. Now waiting for registration.

I think @2020 freedom had his order on the Makassar Highway that arrived 2017-11-21 11:35 LT (UTC), unloading anytime soon. Although he might not be online today as he is either in Sheerness - or Grimsby if his Marine Traffic dot Com data misled him.

@Properjob I think BW 46 should have been/was wb 13/11 - you'll be fine these ships are doing the round trip pretty much constantly.

I've finally done a bit of chasing via the dealer (just warming up for 'hyper-stalking'!) and was told that it's at status 20 and, as it's a week 46 build, it's being built this week. I said that this is week 47 so surely it was built last week but was told that the factory works on a 53 week calendar and so their week 46 is actually a regular week 47!!
I'm not sure about the answers you got from your dealer there.
I understood differently even though there was a weeks difference (pointed out by my dealer too) but understood that bought it forward a week not back a week.
Anyway, worth a check via VWCS just incase it arrives earlier than you are expecting.

'My ship' [name unknown] arrived in port last week on 17/11, Van should be on route to Guildford as we speak. Now waiting for registration.
Come on now Pete....stop pretending.
You know full well what ship yours was on. Have a look at the screen shot on post 49.
I think @2020 freedom had his order on the Makassar Highway that arrived 2017-11-21 11:35 LT (UTC), unloading anytime soon. Although he might not be online today as he is either in Sheerness - or Grimsby if his Marine Traffic dot Com data misled him.
It worries me that you are inside my head.
'
@Properjob I think BW 46 should have been/was wb 13/11 - you'll be fine these ships are doing the round trip pretty much constantly.
I agree

Yes we didn’t want an early delivery that’s true, but I’d quite like one before Apr 1st just in case the budget on weds changes the VED again on diesels!! I’m sure it will be getting a build week soon.

Well spoke to my dealer today and they didn't have any more information either apart from 'its normal'.

I wonder if it's a dealer allocation issue that is why my order hasn't been timetabled yet. I don't really mind as i've said before but it is quite frustrating all the same!!

Come on now Pete....stop pretending.
You know full well what ship yours was on. Have a look at the screen shot on post 49.

It worries me that you are inside my head.

I agree
So, I've just had a live chat conversation with trusty Ismahil and been told that he thinks it's been built and just waiting for the system to update.... so fingers crossed. Considering that we asked for it to be delivered in March, it's amazing how desperate I've suddenly become now that it seems possible!

So what has been learnt so far from all this harmless hyper stalking?
  1. It's potentially addictive, with only one known cure - normality should return once a California is actually delivered.
  2. @itguy to be credited with introducing us to the term hyper stalking, thanks.
  3. We are not alone, BMW, Volvo, Mercedes and Audi buyers do the same and some
  4. Ismahil is a top bloke.
  5. At least on the speedy Emden - Sheerness route it's a lot less than 5 days load/unload.
  6. MarineTraffic.com is a nice website.
  7. Build week 43+ buyers are heading for future MOT, Tax and Insurance renewal dates just before or just after Christmas - great timing doh!

Back