DSG or Manual Gearbox?

• DSG

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Compromise

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Poll - DSG or Manual

Our BM is auto so this had to be manual or my left leg would disappear!

Really like the manual box on the Cali - nice and close to the steering wheel, a bit like a rally car!

Call me lazy but it has to be DSG every time. It's smooth, easy and a dream to drive. The hill hold assist is just stunning. If you ever drive on steep stuff then it's worth it just for that. I have a manual A6 and really regret not getting the DSG box on it. I'll never buy manual again.

If the price was the same would so many opt for the manual....?

I had my heart set on a 4Motion DSG but the 5 month waiting list put me off...
It then became a straight decision between a Manual 4Motion or a 2WD DSG. I was leaning towards the 4Motion until I test drove a DSG and it then became an easy choice. Buttery smooth and works so well with the torque of the BiTDI - great for long distance trips.

When this thread started we had a Manual we now have a DSG, though to be honest I am equally happy with either option. I would probably have been happy to go with a manual again on cost basis alone however the DSG was on the forecourt was just a demo and only 3 months old with a paltry 65 miles on the clock it was also in silver which was the colour we had and wanted again, we were offered a stupidly good deal on this model presumeably because it was pre-registered and they wanted to shift it which meant we couldn't not go for it.

Fin said:
When this thread started we had a Manual we now have a DSG, though to be honest I am equally happy with either option. I would probably have been happy to go with a manual again on cost basis alone however the DSG was on the forecourt was just a demo and only 3 months old with a paltry 65 miles on the clock it was also in silver which was the colour we had and wanted again, we were offered a stupidly good deal on this model presumeably because it was pre-registered and they wanted to shift it which meant we couldn't not go for it.

Hi Fin, what is the DSG drive like?

Skywalker said:
Fin said:

Hi Fin, what is the DSG drive like?

I have been extremely happy with the DSG, it drives extremely smoothly and is a cracker. Interestingly Loz my partner who initially was a little aprehensive because she has only ever driven a manual vehicle, well she loves it as well. In fact I can find nothing to criticise other than one very minor one niggle and it is just a silly one, it is the fact that all of the gear options i.e N, D, P, S etc are detailed to the left hand side of the gear stick so partly obscured from view for the majority of us on in the UK with the right hand drive option.

We would have gone for a Manual box but we ended up with a used Classic 2007 Cali with DSG and we love it. So DSG now would be my choice. :D

Thanks for the speedy reply Fin

And now a 12 month wait for a new order Cali with DSG!! Thinking of chopping my Nov 2011 for new one in early 13 hence I was asking the question. Suits me but blinkin eck, that's a wait and a half. All to do with DSG availability apparently - everyone wants 'em,

3x DSG and 2 x manual :thumb

DSG v Manual is a multi faceted question

The problem with 4 or 5 pop manual diesels is that they run out of revs at 4500 or 5000 so you are forever changing gear if you want any power out of the damned things - especially on motorway slip roads which I LOATHE :censor

The main problem with auto diesels is the chronic lag when setting off from rest :headwall. DSG in sport mode is actually quite respectable in this regard.

The other big issue with the DSG is that turbo and auto is a recipe for random surges of power when you least expect it as kickdown first increases the revs, then the turbo joins the party so power delivery is anything but linear or progressive - and on changing gear there is a big change in torque

The DSG aint perfect, but neither is a manual. DSG is the lesser of two evils until VW goes old school and puts a proper engine in a Cali like a normally aspirated 5l v8 petrol which is what a vehicle of this weight actually needs. In countries like South Africa where petrol is cheap you still get massive V8s in heavy landcruiser/ land rover type cars

Future repair bills could be a DSG risk I suppose. But for me DSG was a simple choice

until VW goes old school and puts a proper engine in a Cali like a normally aspirated 5l v8 petrol

That aint gona happen with fuel prices going up like they are at present.
Also would not fit in !

VW had to meet new EU emission standard's with the Face Lift T5. Hence they went from a 5 to 4 pot engine, then they added a extra turbo to increase the power.

So as Andy said it just aint going to happen unless you do the engine change yourself.

John

I know that a petrol V8 in one of these will never happen - I just lament the passing of these fabulous engines in the Tony Blair PC world we live in now where is is acceptable to mount illegal wars and be complicit in torturing people, but you are demonised for having a 5 litre engine

I still have one sat in the garage on its trickle charger :twisted: few things in life beat a v8

gatvol said:
I know that a petrol V8 in one of these will never happen - I just lament the passing of these fabulous engines in the Tony Blair PC world we live in now where is is acceptable to mount illegal wars and be complicit in torturing people, but you are demonised for having a 5 litre engine

I still have one sat in the garage on its trickle charger :twisted: few things in life beat a v8

Me too but it's not all bad. Our diesel BMW bashes out 304bhp and 434lbs-ft yet gets low to mids 30s mpg.

I do need a petrol V8 in my life at some stage though. I particularly like the idea of the loony one in the Westfield SEight! Latest Morgan V8 is also very appealing.

DSG or compromise?

Chaps,

First outing here so hi to all.

Having just returned from our annual Provence trip in the old faithfull T4 Westy (no air con!) we decided it may be time to upgrade.
With this in mind we spent a morning at the VW Cali shop, proding, poking and generally agoninsing over specs.

Sadly the only demo available was a 140. I really wanted to try the 180 DSG.

Could anyone give me a good reason NOT to go DSG?

Many thanks,

S.

Re: DSG or compromise?

Welcome to a new drain on your resources!!

If you can find one or don't mind the wait then DSG all the way for me.

Hi a very good question with a lot of opinions
Here is mine :thumb
Dsg. Two turbos to go wrong
Bigger more expensive brakes
Slightly worse mpg
Bet you can guess i own a 140. Which in the future
Could be tuned for more bhp
Im afraid there good and bad with both no dout
180 owners will feel different

I spent apprx 6 hours on the M6 at the weekend. I was very happy to have DSG although the extra 40 hp of my 180 wasn't of much use!

At one meet, I saw a guy with a 140 get very upset that his wheels looked "silly". He went around to check all the other vans. He was more upset when I told him mine was a 140 with the optional big brake kit...

Wasn't anyone on here was it?

140 dsg - the Cali spec everyone overlooks. One for sale on flee bay at the mo. that would be my choice

James

Both engines are good. Nothing against either but the 180 is thirsty!

However I'm one of not many that isn't keen on DSG and actively avoided it.

Heavier, worse on fuel, hesitates when pulling away, can get down changes completely wrong, California version seems okay but google dsg problems to see many issues with them, slightly slower on the California, higher emission, less low speed control, especially when reversing up a hill.

They work well for a lot of users but aren't for me!

Hi Sidepod
Having owned a 174 ps manual for three years and now the owner of a 180DSG, it's DSG for me.
Toured Germany, averaged excellent mpg, only marginal difference in real terms between manual and DSG.
If you want to be more in control (why would you ?, it's a camper not a sports car) then you can use it in manual mode with super slick gear changes.
Just about every manufaturer has a version of this type of "auto" , Honda is even putting it on some motorbikes including sports tourers.
Definitely the way to go.

Hubert

Don't hurry be happy

Vw DSG is lovely and maybe if I spec a new one up in 4-5 years time I'll probably get DSG ,as I feel I'll be getting to that age to have an auto camper :) lol ... Sorry guys ...The wife loves a good manual shifter ,so no DSG quite yet for me

Back