DSG or Manual Gearbox?

• DSG

Votes: 93 81.6%
  • Compromise

Votes: 21 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: DSG or compromise?

DSG and 180 is our preference (when we finally manage to get one!).

Test drove a 140 manual a couple of times and hired a 180 DSG for a week and just felt that the 180 was better. The DSG made it easy to drive especially on long runs, very relaxing.

I had a DSG scirocco and the gearbox on that was lovely, so im a DSG fan

John said:
Single turbo 5 pots and loads of chat. Gives us 35mpg and even does over 40mpg on a long run if you cruise and are not in a rush. :thumb

I have the same set up as you.... I think I need lessons on how to get a decent MPG return :?

even when i'm doing a steady 65 on the motorway the best i get is 32-33 MPG :cry:

Jock - Oban to Cornwall 27.4mpg!! They're definitely not that frugal but hell, the range is decent and that's what matters.

DSG all the way for me. I have personally owned about half a dozen DSG vehicles, and at present my wife has an Ed35 GTI DSG. For me it's the best auto on the market.

I think the California suits the DSG best, it's just so easy to drive with the 7 speed. And you always have the ability to just fick it into manual mode when necessary :D

Out of 8 California's on our fleet next year , 6 will be DSG, there is a greater demand for the auto than manual for hirers, and when we sell them at the end of the season as well, people tend to queue for the autos.

Just my tuppence

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
DSG all the way for me. I have personally owned about half a dozen DSG vehicles, and at present my wife has an Ed35 GTI DSG. For me it's the best auto on the market.

I think the California suits the DSG best, it's just so easy to drive with the 7 speed. And you always have the ability to just fick it into manual mode when necessary :D

Out of 8 California's on our fleet next year , 6 will be DSG, there is a greater demand for the auto than manual for hirers, and when we sell them at the end of the season as well, people tend to queue for the autos.

Just my tuppence

There's a good point here - the DSG can be an auto or a manual - so isn't the argument redundant lol

If it has an auto and a manual mode... erm, don't you have the best of both?

James

Yes you do :thumb

I love my DSG :laugh2

The DSG is not a manual as we know it, as it clearly won't have the feel of clutch, change, release etc.......it's just a great box for those that want it......

So if you run your driving battery out, please tell me how you'd bump start your DSG Cali?

I've already had to do it once... :oops: :rofl

'Hello, is that the RAC?? I'd like some assistance please .................... '

I'd like to see anybody other than the "worlds strongest man" bump start on the level. Ok on the hill but really, are your batteries going to go flat only when you're parked on hills.
Your battery is more likely to go flat when parked at home or using the radio etc longer than it is programmed to be used. If you've driven somewhere it should be charged.

Come on Kernowlad, now you're really scraping the barrel here.

"The man doth protest too much" (or something like that)

Hubert

....I take it the starter battery is charging along with the leisure batteries when you're "hooked-up" on site?

S

I accept that dsg is popular on here (on other forums its not) but the bump start thing did occur to me as I've had to do it. Two nights on no hook up. Think it was the stereo did it.

My first appalling car means I'm a near pro at it though...!

I'm actually finding the dsg fans to be more defensive. And sometimes lacking in facts. But I will leave it there for now!

Gary&Heather said:

Yes you do :thumb

I love my DSG :laugh2

It's a lazy manual Gary .... Lol

But with all that spec on your Cali now you deffo need DSG or more hands ... Lol :)

KernowLad said:
I'm actually finding the dsg fans to be more defensive. And sometimes lacking in facts. But I will leave it there for now!

I don't know about defensive, perhaps that's your perception as you are in the other camp :laugh2

I would agree with the lacking in facts part but from a different perspective. You have mentioned in the past that there are lots of 'issues' with DSG and they lead to costly repairs. Where people are lacking in facts is that if they take the car to their respective, VW/Audi/Seat/Skoda/Bently/lambo dealer they might be lucky enough to find or be told that there are in fact campaigns running to offer replacement of problematic Mechatronics Units which, so far as I am aware, is where most people think the faults lie. The problems occur when owners try to save a few quid by not having their vehicle serviced at franchised dealers or when a repair is due automatically look outside the dealer network before asking the people who really should know and have the support of the factories.

Don't get me wrong I know the dealers aren't all perfect in these cases but if the system works as it should do then when a vehicle goes in for service it should be treated to any relevant campaigns or updates that may apply.

If I forever lived in fear of things failing to work I don't think I'd buy anything. :rofl

Not have the facts? I have all the facts I need... only two pedals. One for go, one for stop. I love it.

If it is technical details you really want, I could probably just about dig up a few, blah, blah, blah. and never missed a beat.

Oh, not forgetting experience of more blah, blah, blah. To protect the innocent!

The last time I had to bumpstart a vehicle was... I've forgotten... (lets hope I haven't just doomed myself to a breakdown)

By the way, I'm not exclusively DSG - I also have a car with traditional auto and switchable 4x4, a 6 speed manual (that I have fine control over at low speed; although it is normally a case of gas-it and dump the clutch...) and a 5 speed sequential.

We don't all go into things with our eyes closed you know....

Which is why I said "sometimes..." ;)

I'd say that of all the types if vehicle that may drain the battery, a camper van not on hook up is a likely contender as we found out. Yes it's a small point but I was off and charging it up five minute later (managed to angle it downhill).

Also left the lights on our hire car in August (!) and had to bump start that - again if it had been a DSG (it was a Seat)... :boohoo

My point again is that while DSG suits many, it's merely different not better or worse. I wanted 4Motion, climate, privacy glass and a load of other stuff but I would only have gone for DSG if no manuals came up (highly unlikely). It was a choice and I'd make it again :thumb

KernowLad....Fine, you made your choice and the people with DSG made their choice.

Can't see anyone with a DSG saying your wrong or indeed slating manual boxes, likely they have driven them most of their lives.

Likely most people stay with manual boxes for the fun aspect, after all if that were not the case we would all be having auto boxes, if for no other reason than, laziness...

For me, the Cali was never going to be fun to drive in the sense of the driving experience, on the other hand it's more fun than anything I have driven when I take into account the adventure aspect. So for me and taking into account the later...it had to be DSG.......

I have to say the Cali has surprised me for it's driving "fun factor" Sure it's not fast, sure it weighs more than an oil tanker but the handling is quite neutral and if you get into the flow, it can raise a small grin. But then again I used to find our 110 Defender quite fun too even on the roads!

It's funny being limited not really by grip or braking distances but more by how well you've packed your cupboards. :lol:

TBH I think almost anything can be fun if approached with the right mindset.

As I said, Cali is 'tops' to drive when taking into account the adventure aspect.....but just because I own one I cannot pretend its fun as a driving experience...

DSG gets a big thumbs up here and I think it suits the nature of the California (relaxed touring)

I will declare myself a fan of automatics having a 56 mile journey to and from the office each day along the M3/M25. My left knee used to feel the strain until I swapped from a manual about 5 years ago, and my wife swapped soon after.

We've had a 330d automatic (traditional auto), had a TT 3.2 DSG, have a Volvo XC60 D5 awd automatic (traditional auto), had a Volvo C30 2.0D powershift (Ford's version of the DSG), and now have the California DSG 4Motion. So a pretty good selection!

I get 37mpg on a gentle run to work in the California which I think is pretty good for a such a heavy vehicle and the DSG will be more efficient than a traditional automatic.

Mind you the loan manual Passat Bluemotion I'm currently driving achieved 71mpg this morning - but the nanny-state Bluemotion gearshift indicator is really annoying me. I mean if it knows best what gear I should be in, it should just be shifting gear itself shouldn't it????

Depends what your idea of fun is. 600+ miles, arriving fresh as a daisy, happy kids = a sort of fun to me. Not all about hooning around at break neck speeds across a mountain pass. Hell even a Transit can be fun!

DSG all the way for us, if you are spending all this money why compromise? when I want fun I just put mine into manual. If you can afford the house with the double garage why buy the semi detached with the single garage

Back