Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Rear bench won’t go back

My bench seat was a bit stiff when new but with a bit of
lube i can now slide it whilst stood outside.
The bench has got to be 90° to the rails though, i don't want
to make the OP even grumpier but i am thinking its user error.

@westfalia Sliding it while outside, so without sitting on it? That's impressive. What parts did you lube and what lube did you use if I may ask?

Last edited:
Sliding it while outside, so without sitting on it? That's impressive. What parts did you lube and what lube did you use if I may ask?
After 6 yrs I can do that on mine, just.

So, a quick update.
Citygate (Wooburn Green) had a look today and concluded a component failure meaning the left hand locking mechanism was not releasing. Very rare failure apparently, so the parts needed are not stock and are on back order. Hopefully they’ll come in within a week or so and the Cali then goes back in for repair.
BTW: My first impressions of Citygate are favourable. Courteous and professional.

Who did you deal with Cliff ? Or Sarah ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So, a quick update.
Citygate (Wooburn Green) had a look today and concluded a component failure meaning the left hand locking mechanism was not releasing. Very rare failure apparently, so the parts needed are not stock and are on back order. Hopefully they’ll come in within a week or so and the Cali then goes back in for repair.
BTW: My first impressions of Citygate are favourable. Courteous and professional.
That is good to hear.

Very odd failure indeed. did they at least managed to get the bench to the back while you wait for the spare parts?

Very odd failure indeed. did they at least managed to get the bench to the back while you wait for the spare parts?
Unfortunately not, so no access to LH cupboard, table, etc.
Extremely frustrating.

That is good to hear.
Ditto. Woburn Green is only 20 mins away - my nearest van centre. I didn't buy from them because they didn't seem to be interested (sales didn't phone back when promised). I was going to start a thread about whether anybody had experience of using them for service.

Ditto. Woburn Green is only 20 mins away - my nearest van centre. I didn't buy from them because they didn't seem to be interested (sales didn't phone back when promised). I was going to start a thread about whether anybody had experience of using them for service.
Same, when looking to buy my Cali’ I couldn’t get a decent discount from Citygate so went through DTD.

Quick Review :

bought My Beach from Wooburn Green - Richard Wood was the Sales Guy, lovely Chap

Had an issue with missing factory spec (mis build relating to DAB radio) had some fairly interesting conversations initially, but we got it sorted in the end.

So far Wooburn have fixed everything I have raised under warranty : From memory:

Awing Bracket ( pop rivet broken) - replace bracket

B pillar crack in plastic trim & diesel heater Exhaust trim misaligned- fix and replaced B pillar trim, initial fix was not up to standard (poor trimming of exhaust aperture) and B pillar trim incorrect colour (removed from a transporter IMO) reported at collection, returned replaced Trim with correct colour.

Floor rail trim near side behind passenger seat (silver aluminium cover)not securing into rail correctly - replaced rail (all seats , fuel tank out etc to enable remedial action)

Door handle discolouration (spot) - polished out

Roof rubber seal - slight split and rust starting to show in rubber seal - replaced seal

Starter Battery not holding charge - replaced Battery

Not so good bits :

wiped my Discover media unit settings and blue tooth connectivity during Battery warranty ( factory scan) - unit simply replaced FOC ( supplied and fitted by Sat Nav systems Chertsey) at my place of work.

Two small chips (two individual occasions) on paint work during visits to correct the above ! Did not even bother reporting (but bloody annoying)

Door foot well light cracked (noticed after initial collection) haven’t been bother to report it from a hassle point of view.

Add Blue refill FOC at 1st service, noted on collection receipt and verbally as 10L fill- Before driving away I noticed the computer did not register full amount of Add blue,despite having had 10 litres added ( previous 2500 range noted at drop off) master Tech reset computer (several times) added three more litres of add blue to max the tank - eventually sorted itself out on Drive home.

Not an immaculate record but as expected given some of the horror stories I hear on this forum.

Nice friendly people, run as part of a large multi centre business.

Service Reception, Cliff or Sarah are always pleasant and Smiling no matter what my complaint! ( love to see my file notes!!)

Would I use Wooburn green in future ;

YES

Why;
the team have done what I have asked of them, from sales through to warranty claims & parts sales (and as I expected of them) without major objection.

They make the senior techs available to speak to you on the phone or in person to discuss the work they carry out or any concerns you may have / technical questions etc.

Things have not always gone smoothly or as planned but nothing ever does !

I am a hard one to please (I know it) so they can’t be that Bad (that’s a compliment coming from me ).

my advice: Decline the courtesy wash (take it in clean) and take photos prior to handing over the keys so you can discuss anything that is not 100%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
You shouldnt have to take photos of anything before someone works on a 70k van.theuy should be honest from the start. If that is needed then they arent to be trusted are they?. shouldn't have to act as if we are renting a jet ski on a thai beach. Master techs my arse

@westfalia Sliding it while outside, so without sitting on it? That's impressive. What parts did you lube and what lube did you use if I may ask?
Post#24 on this video at around 38 seconds.

Thats how i can slide the bench too,
i used Wd 40 PTFE spray and on the rails i spray
a bit of silicone.

I once removed the drawer to try and see the mechanism for the
slider, but its closed in so i removed the inner side panels so i could see
it, that's when i WD'd it. :thumb

Found this video. Quite a complex mechanism for moving the bench seat. Not sure which bit(s) have failed on mine?

Found this video. Quite a complex mechanism for moving the bench seat. Not sure which bit(s) have failed on mine?

To get that view of the workings there are loads of screws to remove
from the side panels, like hundreds...
You can only access those side panels once the drawer is removed.

A seat being completely stuck has never been a problem as far as i know, on here.
Before me getting all cynical about it, i will look forward to hear what the
exact problem was.

To get that view of the workings there are loads of screws to remove
from the side panels, like hundreds...
You can only access those side panels once the drawer is removed.

A seat being completely stuck has never been a problem as far as i know, on here.
Before me getting all cynical about it, i will look forward to hear what the
exact problem was.
Plenty of posts about stuck seats and various outcomes. Mine seems to be more severe than others.
I’ll let you know once the VW workshop has fixed it.
They suggested today it was very rare but there was a component failure!?

Sounds like a real pain, GG. Did they give you any indication of how long they expected before they will have the parts and get you sorted out? Sorry to hear about it anyway.

Post#24 on this video at around 38 seconds.

Thats how i can slide the bench too,
i used Wd 40 PTFE spray and on the rails i spray
a bit of silicone.

I once removed the drawer to try and see the mechanism for the
slider, but its closed in so i removed the inner side panels so i could see
it, that's when i WD'd it. :thumb
which video?

Plenty of posts about stuck seats and various outcomes. Mine seems to be more severe than others.
I’ll let you know once the VW workshop has fixed it.
They suggested today it was very rare but there was a component failure!?
GGD, "component failure" in this case is VW speak and a glorified term for, the spring has popped off the clip.

If you are able to access the mechanism from the rear, it may just be a case of getting it back on and you continuing to enjoy the van.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sounds like a real pain, GG. Did they give you any indication of how long they expected before they will have the parts and get you sorted out? Sorry to hear about it anyway.
7-10 days for the parts Rod. Then they’ll book it straight in. Fingers crossed it will be all done in time for a post lockdown first few nights away :)

GGD, "component failure" in this case is VW speak and a glorified term for, the spring has popped off the clip.

If you are able to access the mechanism from the rear, it may just be a case of getting it back on and you continuing to enjoy the van.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Thanks Kurienp, I’ll have another look but everything seems to totally enclosed. The guys at Citygate were investigating for well over an hour yesterday and I know they had the seat cushion up, so I’m assuming it’s not just the spring? They’ve ordered parts which also suggests a failure of some sort.

Back