Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for fridge for 2 seater Beach please

Why pay 3 to 400 quid for a waeco or similar when one of the 12v/23v coolboxes is just as good. We are on our second now - can't remember how much the first cost but it was about £50 from Lidl. The second one we bought in Croatia when the first one died was a bit more expensive.

I noticed to day that Halfords have this type of cooler on offer at the moment with a variety of sizes. There has been speculation on some of the threads about fridges that the coolbox types more power hungry than the compressor fridges - I don't believe this - you only have to look at the ratings. They are about the same so the hit on the leisure battery will be very similar.

We've managed fine on many long trips with ours - including a couple of 6 week trips in Europe. Does mean you can't lug tons of chilled food round with you but then we like to work out what we need on a more day to day basis.

But the best thing about the coolboxes is that they fit perfectly in the gap between the storage box and the front seat in the 2 seat Beach. So everything accessible in the van, no having to open the back door and slide something out from under the multiflex and we wouldn't want anything between the front seats as you can't easily get move between front and back with a great lump of fridge in there.

I’ve used both and can confirm that a thermoelectric (at least the ones I’ve owned) runs all the time and will flatten a battery far quicker because they usually don’t shut down when down to temp. This is why the 3 way fridges in the old vans only run with alternator although they may have been absorption.

The beach fridge from vw is a good example of thermoelectric. Most people will struggle to get more than a day or two from it. They also just tend to cool to a set amount below ambient which can be ineffective when very hot.

I used to use one with a leisure battery in my trailer tent and it ran for two days on a 100ah battery before it would not run any more. I killed my first battery like that. It didn’t cut out when the voltage got dangerously low. My beer was cold at least ;-)

If you just use it when moving (alternator) and plug it into the mains when stopped you will be absolutely fine and save a lot of dosh. If you want any off grid time and definite temperature you need the compressor for anything over a day or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok I had a look at a Halfords one for comparison

Halfords 40L thermoelectric.
Draw in amps is approximately 3.5A per hour from a 12V supply.

My CF40 is 0.83 amps per hour from a 12v supply (it draws upto 5 amps but doesn’t run constantly).

Purely depends on your needs I guess as to which suits a person best. The price difference is massive for sure but one is 4 times more efficient.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Anyone know if any of the larger versions also fit between the seats? Hard to measure and be sure... From the details, the 10.5l is 23.5cm wide. The 15 and 21 litre versions are 26cm wide with the 21l being 6 cm taller. The 39l 34 cm wide so I'm assuming it won't fit in the gap.Anyone got any experience of the 15 or 21 litre versions? Thanks in advance
We have an 18L indel b which also fits between the front seats.....
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B011I3X2PM/?tag=eliteelect-21

View attachment 33076 View attachment 33075

This one fits between both front seats. It’s an Indel B TB18 compressor fridge. I think the company is or was owned by webasto. Well pleased with ours, keeps everything as cold as the main fridge and handy to have cold drinks and food at hand while driving, no noisier than the main fridge at night. Slightly more capacity + 18 litres than the dometic CF11

haha just posted to say we have this too!

So, looks like the indel and waeco/dometic are the only compressor fridges that fit between the two front seats?

With the indel having more interior capacity, and the waeco/dometic having 2x cup holders on the front exterior in-lieu of that additional capacity. I do find these holders useful on the waeco so, you pays your money and you takes your choice, depending on which of these options appeals more to you.

As for thermoelectric..... I took one in my (at the time) VW Passat Estate on a camping holiday to France back in the early naughties, it did the job, was a good addition to the trip, and only cost about £50. However, it doesn't really compare the the weaco as I had to un-plug the thermoelectric overnight etc to save the car battery, and it only cooled it's contents to a certain amount below ambient. Whereas the waeco will run for days, and even make ice-cubes when required, in any ambient temperature.

Those of you with Dometic CF11 or Indel TB15 and a handbreak... we just bought an Indel TB15 and we can’t fit it between the front seats easily, & daren’t risk forcing it! Width 23.5, same as the Dometic. Have you just wedged it in there? No cracking to the plastic on the seat moulding or the fridge body? Thanks.

Our Indel Tb18 slides in fine between the seats, i have removed the handbrake lever cover so its a bit easier to get my hand in to operate, but from memory it went in with the cover attached. Also we have it lifted slightly at the back which seems to give more room. The photo at the top of the page shows ours sitting on some travel books, its facing into the kitchen area but its still fine the other way round while traveling.

We have a cf11. It is a squeeze and it does make the handbrake harder to operate. I have to use my right hand because my knuckles get in the way if using my left.

In practice its not an issue, especially with a DSG. I'm really pleased with my cf11 and wouldn't swap it.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

We have an Indel TB18. As mentioned it is a squeeze between the front seats, ours has suffered some light scratches on the side as a result. Raising it slightly may help, and careful positioning is required to avoid the lid clashing with armrests. For those with the extra seats in the back it fits nicely between them as well.

Thank you for taking the time to reply those who did! We have found that we can just squeeze it in if we lower it from a slight angle, the seats are swivelled & the handbrake lowered, but even so the handbrake is pushed a good inch or so to the right. What we’ve settled on though is that if we don’t mind travelling with it behind the passenger seat, it fits beautifully in the driver’s (or passenger’s) footwell once parked up. Tested out on a half term trip & we were happier with that setup. It also left the gap between the front seats clear to position our smal radiator.

Yep this old dilemma again! Any up-to-date info would be really helpful please :)

I'm looking at fridges for our soon to arrive beach (2 seater and storage box) and have narrowed it down to these:

Webasto Indelb TB41 H x W x D (mm) 445 x 700 x 350 21kg (£473 39litres)

Dometic CFX35 H x W x D 411 x 692 x 398 17.5kg (£559 32 litres)

Engel MT35G-P H x W x D 408 x 631 x 360 19kg (£517 32 litres)

I'm most tempted by the Webasto as the more litres the better I think? (We're a family of 4 and never seem to have enough space in the coolbox) plus it's the cheapest which is a bonus.

Has anyone got the Webasto? We want to store the fridge in front of the storage box and I would like to make sure it fits ok...

No direct experience of the models you mention but we do have an Indel B TB18 and have been quite happy with it’s performance. Cools down fairly quick, capable of freezing and internal light is useful. It was much cheaper than equivalent Dometic fridges and bigger than the other option that fits between seats. TB41 sounds huge, even for 4 people, there is a TB31 that would save you a bit more money, Amazon can be good for deals and occasionally have ‘warehouse deals’ available with minor cosmetic issues for a good price.

If your going to the camper show this week at the nec dometic usually have a stand there so you can see the size of all the fridges. I've got a dometic cf28. Had it in my beach and it was brilliant. Fitted under the rear bench easy. But would have been better with a pull out slider as its a top loader

Does anyone know if you get good deals at these shows? Or is it usually full retail prices? Still looking for fridges!

Does anyone know if you get good deals at these shows? Or is it usually full retail prices? Still looking for fridges!
A caravaner told me last year that he buys most of his camping
gear at the NEC also his caravans as they offer the best prices.
His reason was that they all want to fill the order books whilst the
exhibition is on. Suppose it makes sense but i never thought about
it that way.

Yep this old dilemma again! Any up-to-date info would be really helpful please :)

I'm looking at fridges for our soon to arrive beach (2 seater and storage box) and have narrowed it down to these:

Webasto Indelb TB41 H x W x D (mm) 445 x 700 x 350 21kg (£473 39litres)

Dometic CFX35 H x W x D 411 x 692 x 398 17.5kg (£559 32 litres)

Engel MT35G-P H x W x D 408 x 631 x 360 19kg (£517 32 litres)

I'm most tempted by the Webasto as the more litres the better I think? (We're a family of 4 and never seem to have enough space in the coolbox) plus it's the cheapest which is a bonus.

Has anyone got the Webasto? We want to store the fridge in front of the storage box and I would like to make sure it fits ok...

Not the best photos but here’s the TB41 and fits fine where you suggest, just have to move the seat forward a tadge or wind the back up a bit to lift the lid fully.
Almost the same height for that L shaped lounge!

B2DD6530-67D8-461F-A223-FC60E4D6AC5A.jpeg 906446F5-EF9A-41EC-AB4F-B0D22AA9A800.jpeg AB45A834-CE1A-4CDF-9DC4-4C4266C43F63.jpeg A47FBD1C-004B-4763-B17C-A35C4B91F126.jpeg F999BEB7-A248-465A-B4E7-6AFC787C4124.jpeg

HI KP, I’ll let you know Friday, going to look at fridges.
Dometic at the show, so I’ll ask about prices at the show, hoping for a discount compared to their amazon shop site !

+WillSS thanks for posting those photos that is immensely helpful. I really like that it is almost the same height as the storage box, I think we could add a thin cushion to it and get it just about perfect. :thumb

If your going to the camper show this week at the nec dometic usually have a stand there so you can see the size of all the fridges. I've got a dometic cf28. Had it in my beach and it was brilliant. Fitted under the rear bench easy. But would have been better with a pull out slider as its a top loader
That is my idea of heaven but with 2 kids in tow....No :Nailbiting Mr Lemondrop hates shopping so he would have to be dragged there kicking and screaming.

Probably a blessing in disguise as I imagine it would be like IKEA; you go in for some napkins and come out with a trolley full of "useful" stuff you never knew you needed....

Just got back from the NEC show, there was a Dometic stand there they had a few fridges Cfx35, 28 & I think 21

I spoke to two sales peaople who quoted a “show price” of cfx 35 + £639 & cfx28 +£609

They had zero stock at the show, but were quite happy to take an order and process it on Monday, they could not quote a lead time and advised the order would be sent out from Germany dependant in stock.

I queried the “show price” and mentioned that I could buy a 35 from Dometic shop on Amazon at £80 cheaper, Both sales people said they would not price match.

I was told that the supplier on amazon was not in fact Dometic, but a “clever seller using the Dometic name”!!!

When I explained that the supplier was in fact Dometic, and the order would be fulfilled via Amazon she disagreed! Despite not asking to see the detail I was referring to.

Interestingly, despite both sales people being in Dometic branded outfit, the second person I spoke to gave me a business card in case I wanted to return and order the fridge later in the show, what was interesting was that the sales person(s) actually did not work for Dometic, in fact they are a general dealer : RV installations. (Not Dometic).

To answer the previous question, there was no best price to be had at the show, just sales BS!

Needless to say, I did not order from RV installations (posing as Dometic direct) I will be ordering from Dometic via Amazon fulfilled order.

I hope that helps regarding best price at show. In this instance simply a prefered supplier of Dometic, selling under the Dometic Branding offering a “show price” considerably above the price of the Dometic shop fulfilled by Amazon (Amazon is next day delivery vs uhh don’t know when it will be delivered !)

I did order some Vanessa window bags from those who cannot be Named ! Great service and confirmed timed delivery via text 15 mins after the order was processed at the show.

3FD7ED01-C28F-47DC-AE81-CFE157CABEDC.jpeg Looks familiar

Hi KP

No problem, I promised you I would report back from the NEC soirée

Glad you got sorted in the end, I still can’t believe it’s that hard to get to see the Dometic product in the flesh! Particularly when they are so cheap !!!!!

I bought my CFX35 through Amazon, I know I’ll get berated by the buy local brigade, arrived yesterday, need to curry test it.

I’m glad your curry was well looked after!

Hopefully your link will help others

Any photos you can share of your trip ?

haha just posted to say we have this too!
@yanathem @Emma Hughes How are you both getting on with your Indel fridges? I'm stuck in the CF11 "too small" and CDF 26 "too big" camp, but that looks like a good balance with the added bonus it still fits between the seats. Can you access the handbrake with it in position or do you move it there when you park up? Can you stand on it like the Dometic ?

Back