Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Recommendations for new winter electric heater?

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
Any recommendations?

We have a small oil filled heater we use when on hook up, but there's not much punch to it so planning an upgrade, maybe to one of those halogen type heaters.

Any recommendations before I purchase something?

Re: Recommendations for new winter electric eater?

Is this a trick question?

The on board diesel "eater" supplied with the van?

S

We have a 2Kw fan heater, which can be used on it's side or vertical. They are widely available, under different manufacturers names, from shops and the internet. Cost approx. £11 to £12.
It fits nicely in between the two front seats (vertically) or on the passenger seat (horizontal) when the lower bed is made up. Usual fire safety concerns - don't put anything close to the front or over the heater etc.
We have only ever used it on the lower setting and it keeps the van lovely and warm.

try:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_nos ... n%20heater

Hubert

Hi there, I'm looking for something (electric to use when hooked up) to heat the upper bed zone.
We always travel with our dogs and normally we sleep on the upper bed and they stay "downstairs" on the seats. The diesel heater would keep the dogs too warm and us two-legged not warm enough.
The main question could be where to position the possible electric heater.

Thanks

Argo&Liebe said:
Hi there, I'm looking for something (electric to use when hooked up) to heat the upper bed zone.
We always travel with our dogs and normally we sleep on the upper bed and they stay "downstairs" on the seats. The diesel heater would keep the dogs too warm and us two-legged not warm enough.

Thanks

Rather than using a heater maybe you could use an electric overblanket. http://www.johnlewis.com/dreamland-6970-intelliheat-double-electric-overblanket/p231270131
I'm sure it would be much safer than trying to position a heater in the upper bed area.

Andy

sidepod said:

S
:goodone
Ron.

sidepod said:

S
Well spotted :doh

Not a trick question, we use the plug in heater a lot on winter trips. The on board heater is superb, but we find the plug in heater very handy.

robo said:
Not sure if they are any good but Maplins have a deal on for 12V ceramic heaters at present.
http://www.maplin.co.uk/in-car-ceramic- ... oler-48775

When I had an old Landrover Discovery it used to take ages to warm up in the mornings so I tried a couple of the 12v ceramic heaters. I thought they were both pretty useless. I then decided to get a 2000w fan heater, ran a lead from the garage and switched it on remotely before I went in the shower in the morning. It was nice and warm and all the ice/frost on the windows would be melted when time to leave.

Just had to remember to lock it on the key rather than remote as it set off the volumetric alarm. :doh

I think a 240v fan heater would be best and why use the diesel heater when you've paid for hook up?

Goldie said:
Argo&Liebe said:

Thanks

Rather than using a heater maybe you could use an electric overblanket. http://www.johnlewis.com/dreamland-6970-intelliheat-double-electric-overblanket/p231270131
I'm sure it would be much safer than trying to position a heater in the upper bed area.

Andy
An electric blanket sounds a good idea :thumb
Ron.

just got home from two nights in Brighton with the Cali. I tried out for the first time my new Pifco 500W Orange PTC Heater (£16-00 Amazon) It is tiny and very quite. I was sceptical when I bought it that 500w would be sufficient to heat the van. The temperature dropped down to about four degrees during the night and I left the heater on, placed on the glass sink top. We slept up top and the heater kept the van warm at about 16 degrees. I have just noticed its on Amazon with another trader at £11.00 including deliver - so I have just ordered another one.

I've got the Beach with no electric hook-up, but my earlier post regarding using an electric over blanket has got me thinking. How much power does one draw and could you run it off a 12v - 230 300 watt inverter using the leisure battery? I've got one of these. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B009NQW8D4/?tag=eliteelect-21

I'll look into it when I have bit more time, but any thoughts?

Andy

Just to throw another option into the ring.

I've been using one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B002J9ANIE/?tag=eliteelect-21 during the spring and autumn, as they are silent in operation (apart from the thermostat operation). The fan heaters are a type of white noise (like the diesel heater) but tended to wake me up when they started up.

As they (the one in my link) are intended for bathroom use, they are better able to cope with splashes etc.

This particular one is only 400w and was struggling in the -2c nights this weekend, even in my well insulated hard-top, so wouldn't be powerful enough for a pop top in winter, but I thought the 'silent' point worth making.

Hi there,
Just to add my 2 pennys worth-

Having had my eyeballs dried by all sorts of fan heaters I tried a convector heater - 2kw. The heat was great, no noise and no dry eyes. Was a little big though. Found by accident an 1800w version in Claus Ohlsen which physically is much smaller than my 2kw and fits brilliantly. 3 heat setting and thermostatic. Shop I used was in Kingston but available via their website. Cost about £12. Very pleased with it - it even runs on my Honda suitcase Genny!

Cant fault the built in Cali heater, lovely heat and the ticking noise lets you know it's working. Have camped extensively in cold weather and always been comfortable away from hookup.

I once tried to dry the roof canvas at the end of a trip by putting a fan heater on the top deck mattress. For some reason and with two different heaters- they tripped out even on low so wouldn't recommend using them upstairs.

If anyone is interested in looking at the Claus Ohlsen convector I bought, I'll dig out the model number and dimensions.

Cheers

Dave

Bought this heater the other day http://www.argos.co.uk/beta/static/Product/partNumber/4152648.htm
Worked really well and heated up the van very quickly. It has a digitally controlled thermostat so is easy to get the right setting. It is light weight and sits on a little table I made for the fron seat arm rests. Only down sides are that it is a bit noisy (according to the missus as I can sleep through anything) and it is quite bright
24019399dfaf88392edf54ba45e863ab.jpg
9539ac887bfbc9b2aed8ad2d59a72d4e.jpg

Thought the mysterons were back!

Is that a Cali flykiller? :)

We have two of these in the cupboard, one from each of our old vans, we pondering taking both next time we winter camp. They work well but from my experience only add about 10-12c to the ambient. temp, even in the small space of a van. They may work better in a T5 than a t25 with drafty windows It is certainly enough to take the chill off but not exactly toasty when its actually cold. We bought below 1000w because we found a few EHU would trip over that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DEQU2H8/?tag=eliteelect-21

My GF is now talking about taking her electric blanket with us too.

We have two of these in the cupboard, one from each of our old vans, we pondering taking both next time we winter camp. They work well but from my experience only add about 10-12c to the ambient. temp, even in the small space of a van. They may work better in a T5 than a t25 with drafty windows It is certainly enough to take the chill off but not exactly toasty when its actually cold. We bought below 1000w because we found a few EHU would trip over that.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DEQU2H8/?tag=eliteelect-21

My GF is now talking about taking her electric blanket with us too.
Hi MattBW, we took a quest 750/1000w fan heater and an 800w oil filled rad. We found the quest fan smelt very funny, not of burning but like a smelly armpit so not sure what to do with that, febreze? I felt better with the rad in the awning as it quite clearly stated it needed 15 cm clearance around it so didn't want to risk it. As for the EHU tripping we had a 16amp supply so we had plenty power to go at.
We bought the mysteron model from Argos to replace the smelly one. found this one good enough but it doesn't swing and if you are head on to it it can dry you eyes out a bit. Still had a great first trip though.
Good shout on the electric blanket never considered that:thumb

Hi I've never done any winter camping as I'm in Thailand during the cold months. Now for the first time I'll be driving fairly slowly through France and Spain in Ma

Fan Heater. Used one for ten years in our motorhome but it went when we sold it. Which Magazine voted the Dimplex best for quiet running so we bought the 2kw version from Amazon and it is very good. Heats the van quickly on the 1kw setting. The only thing we have found is that at night the diesel heater set on 1 just seems to keep the van comfortable for sleeping as a few others have confirmed.

We are using a heater from Switzerland - ECOMAT 2000 Select.

It is build for camper vans and boots and is able to run with 450, 750 or 1800 W (2, 4 or 10 Amp.).

Dimensions are not that big and heater is secured for fall over and water (boot version).

The only disadvantage is the price (~300€), but the device itself is great.

www.ecomat2000.de

Hope it helps

Cheers

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

We are using a heater from Switzerland - ECOMAT 2000 Select.

It is build for camper vans and boots and is able to run with 450, 750 or 1800 W (2, 4 or 10 Amp.).

Dimensions are not that big and heater is secured for fall over and water (boot version).

The only disadvantage is the price (~300€), but the device itself is great.

www.ecomat2000.de

Hope it helps

Cheers

Uwe

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Do you heat your boots with it?!.....;)
Joking , you meant boats offcoarse

I got one and love it , used it few times when on hook-up and leaved it on during the night at low setting .
Paid less though ...just under 200euro witch i found and still do a bit expencife but they told me it was one of the safest-smalest and most compatible ( as you say 2-4-10 amp) for use in a camper on site , so i spent the money ...