Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Reliable California?

I get a bit peeved at these " common issues " that everyone lists overtime.
1. Roof - nothing to do with the vehicle itself but the Camper Conversion. No worse/better than Fibreglass roofs which have their problems, BUT don't have a 6 yr warranty as VW have undertaken.
2. Elevating Roof - NO vehicle is immune to corrosion. At least its not straight forward RUST and structural failure and once again many Campers of ALL makes have such problems with their fibreglass panels leaking or warping.
3. Engine - So many common faults mentioned NOT, compared with the number of T5's on the road. T4's have many problems as well but compared to the number sold - minuscule
4. Drive train - once again there are some problems with individual vehicles but compared to the number sold a Very, Very low percentage
5. Steering/Suspension/Brakes - once again the number of faults compared to the number sold minimal.

Forums are where those with problems come to get information or complain.

How many posters post positive comments???????

Just remember, the California is based on a commercial VAN and a lot more vans are sold than Californias.

It is a £30,000 Van with a £20,000 conversion added.

The camping facilities are a lot better than Flat Pack from Ikea or the Veneered Plywood construction found in many other " Campers ".

For me, the VW California was the Best of the Manufactured Campervans under 2m that drove like a people carrier with a good reputation and Warranty. I've not been immune from the " Common Problems " having a faulty EGR replaced at 900 miles. Have covered 17,000 miles since with no problems.
I've also had problems with Land Rover, Mazda, Mitsubishi and other major manufacturers, so what. They were all fixed and I continued to enjoy.

I think all these above posters contemplating a VW need to make their mind up. Camper or NOT, VW or NOT instead of moaning about build quality, engines, roofs etc.

I feel better now.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

You are i
OK so I'm confused. Why did you state that I was slating the Cali for this? Sorry but I can't recall actually saying that I had any of the problems and that I was slating the Cali for these issues?

After all I AM putting a counter argument as well - I love the Cali but wish to be balanced. Therefore please don't miss quote me, maybe apologise, rather than attacking me again with diversion tactics ;) Suggesting I'm jumping on the band wagon of slating the VW - which I never have :)

To be fair, I kept saying that VW's have issues and that perhaps the problem is with the way the issues are handled not that VW Cali has issues. Yep pretty sure that is what I was saying

Yes, indeed you are right saying the way they deal with issues, and yes you have said that you have not had issues, but the berating of VW for not addressing issues suggests also that you believe those issues are still prevalent and the argument I put forwards is that perhaps something has been done.

1. Roof - nothing to do with the vehicle itself but the Camper Conversion. No worse/better than Fibreglass roofs which have their problems, BUT don't have a 6 yr warranty as VW have undertaken.
2. Elevating Roof - NO vehicle is immune to corrosion. At least its not straight forward RUST and structural failure and once again many Campers of ALL makes have such problems with their fibreglass panels leaking or warping.
3. Engine - So many common faults mentioned NOT, compared with the number of T5's on the road. T4's have many problems as well but compared to the number sold - minuscule
4. Drive train - once again there are some problems with individual vehicles but compared to the number sold a Very, Very low percentage
5. Steering/Suspension/Brakes - once again the number of faults compared to the number sold minimal.

Point 1 - this has everything to do with the vehicle itself - you buy the vehicle - it's like saying a component is at fault when clearly VW don't make everything in house.
Point 2 - Yes, but maybe not in the first ten years these days (unless miss treated)
Point 3, 4, and 5. Never experienced these - think the drive train / mechanicals are awesome :)

Back to point 1 and 2, I do think they are a small proportion and sad it happens. Doesn't put me off and very small issues when compared to the awesomeness of the Cali ;) - Unless it happened on every single one, which I'm sure it doesn't :)

Yes, indeed you are right saying the way they deal with issues, and yes you have said that you have not had issues, but the berating of VW for not addressing issues suggests also that you believe those issues are still prevalent and the argument I put forwards is that perhaps something has been done.

Go on, just a little sorry for saying I was slating VW Cali's when I wasn't - go on, just a small one :) :p I love VW's always have, just playing devils advocate, no need to accuse me of slating a vehicle I love is there, go on you can do it ;)

Goodness me, if you so wish to be trivial, I am so sorry that when you constantly whinge on about VW not addressing issues I took it as an indication that you were slating the vehicle.

There. Happy now?

Have a nice day.

You are i

Ooops missed that bit, mmmm no I'm not, I'm saying that the dealers have issues for not sorting them, VW have issues for not putting things right (well documented on here re roof corrosion).

I am not slating the Cali itself - how many times have a said that it's not the problems but the way problems get resolved. Can't remember, but it's got to be more than one :p

Goodness me, if you so wish to be trivial, I am so sorry that when you constantly whinge on about VW not addressing issues I took it as an indication that you were slating the vehicle.

Just sorry would've been OK :( I'll retract my half dozen comments about VW not addressing issues then as this is clearly far too many and is classed as constantly, no more than one or two a month? :)

:eek::eek::eek::shocked:shocked:shocked

Seriously?!!?!?!

"Nothing to do with the vehicle itself..."???????? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Errr, yes sir here is your new £50,000 camper van. Please note the 'free' roof - if it rots don't blame us, it's nothing to do with the vehicle or VW so consider yourself lucky to get a roof. Goodbye and thank you".

I don't think I have ever read of a single issue with a Westfalia GRP roof (or Reimo, SCA etc etc) ever warping or rotting or falling apart. Maybe the odd leak due to a dodgy seal but to suggest any campers have ever had any roof issues to really compare to the T5 Cali misadventure is surely a joke?

I can only think that some of the people commenting as to: 'The roof issue? Pah - no issue, who cares?" have not read this through:

(start a way in or you will be jumping off a tall building after hours of it)

http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/roof-corrosion-latest-updates.9000/page-77

Just sorry would've been OK :( I'll retract my half dozen comments about VW not addressing issues then as this is clearly far too many and is classed as constantly, no more than one or two a month? :)

Try to get it to less than ten percent of your posts to begin with... don't be overly ambitious ;)

Right so no one is allowed to mention the £50k van they had to sell because it had non stop issues.
We're meant to just live with the issues and keep schtum.

We had our Cali for three years with at least ten major faults.

We had our BMW 335d for six years with one very minor brake issue

Our current BMW had a replacement fuel pump as a recall under warranty but that's it (21 months old)

The only vehicle we've had which got near to our Cali for issues was a Defender 110 which we bought Used Approved and after investigation, turned out to be a thrashed, ex works truck.

I've run many cars, some very old. None have got anywhere near our California for problems; yet the Cali was bought new and by far the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought.

Now apologies for daring to come back after contributing massively to this forum for three years. Apologies for wondering whether another model of Cali might be less troublesome. Apologies for bringing out a large number of similarly troubled owners/buyers.

Clearly the forum has changed. Looks great but spoiled by shouty members who get very antsy when a decent, acceptable question is asked.

I'm off to tear a chunk out of any BMW or Subaru owner that DARES to criticise the brand...

I'm off to tear a chunk out of any BMW or Subaru owner that DARES to criticise the brand...

Subaru outback what's that all about - oh I'm sorry great cars, my brother had one in Canada :) BMW 135iM, nice, was tempted myself recently, one of the guys I race with has one, mind you he sold a 2012 Porsche 911 GT3 to get one, not too sure that would be my choice - oh if only I could afford a Porsche 911 - what am I talking about, I'd only race it to within an inch of it's life :)

Sorry, of course I agree with some of the issues, but perhaps don't be too put off by some horror stories, perhaps people are more willing to share bad things (which get threads like this going and getting a lot of attention) than good.

I did just over 4000 miles in two weeks (including lazing on a beach in Greece for a week). The 180 4Motion was faultless, the Cali camper aspect was faultless (OK had some niggles but nothing compared to all the good things) , it was superb to drive and copped with everything I threw at it (at one point on the return I did at least 600 miles non stop at 130 km/Hr in Austria/Germany etc. only stopping to fill up again). Topped the oil up at around 5K miles (which is why I guess they give you the oil when you buy one - same with all the BMW's I've bought new). It was truly awesome.

It's a real shame you had problems with your old one, I have a feeling that from what I've heard the roof thing should be all history now and they even have a new roof material for the T6. I guess you're back on here as we all know it's hard to beat the Cali for what it is, what is does in such a small package (oo er missus :p).

I guess you'll have to take a chance that if you buy one again it doesn't have issues - I can totally understand the reluctance with previous issues. Lets hope you get one and have the trouble free motoring you clearly deserve :)

Cheers Bluestone; nice reply.
You must call it an M135i or the owners get upset (the old one was known as a 135i M Sport)..! Yep the Outback was bought for reliability and so far, it's been faultless. Not very exciting but does most things competently.

What do you race? I tracked my BM at Bedford West recently; absolutely loved it but sadly wasn't the instant Stig I had hoped to be (TBH I was slightly nervous of stuffing the car in!) Plenty of practise needed but learnt a lot.

You're right about the Cali and like most, we had some cracking times in it. It only seemed to let us down in the UK too. If it was just the roof, we would still have it but it was the engine (3 EGR valves, an ECU), drivetrain (new rear diff), steering column, failed control unit, snapped window latch (the only one that was a panic; happened when free camping in Spain; jammed the window wide open!) and more. Incidentally the bonnet was in a terrible state when we sold it; stone chipped to Hell; is this common too?

All those hours spent washing, claying, polishing and generally keeping it A1 too...

But yes, nothing else is quite the same. Come on VW, start building things like you used to. All my other VWs were incredibly well made.

Last edited:
Four pages in one day , and what have we learnd ....
Not much new ....imo.....
If you don't like VW or doubt their reliability go for an other brand.

Ahh, BMW, now we're talking. ;) Don't go yet Kernow - we're trying to decide whether to go for a 330d next or play it safe with the (perfectly capable) 320d. Not a huge amount in it price wise (used-nearly new) but the 6 pot does have a certain appeal.

IMO the six cylinder BMWs (both petrol and diesel) are just brilliant.
The four cylinders are perfectly decent but noisy and a bit "white goods" (relatives have a new 320d). Go for the 330d if you can; it's a cracking car; the engine lifts it into the proper fast exec band too.

Oh yes, sorry I always get confused as to why it's not called the M1, but then of course I realise there was the iconic M1. Yes not been to Bedford - I race - you guessed it VW Golf's!! Not rear wheel drive so slightly different driving technique (lots of trail breaking into bends). Yes always go cautious in your BM!! I don't do track days just test days, but you need a race license for this. mind you I've been bashed into by others at test days!!

I would recommend getting an experience day with an instructor and thrashing someone else's car around the track!! Always nice to see what yours can do though ;) Mine of course is race prepared so has roll cage etc and I wear full race suit, HANS etc even for track days if I ever do them so I will always go around faster than road cars - even if on paper they are much quicker - my brakes are not road legal and take time to warm up (even though I race in a production series) but are very effective.

PM me if you would like more info on racing or to try your hand at racing with an arrive and drive (the race team I use can help there), it's getting towards the end of the season for me now but always happy to help :)

Like you granny Jen, I have no problems with EGR, DPF, etc, etc. my vehicle has behaved perfectly mechanically, its just the b***** front roof panel.
Having said that off to our house in France this weekend 1000 miles, sods law and al that !!!!!!!

John

I know what you mean John
I'm off down to Vilafranca near Barcelona, fingers crossed :)

talk about a thread hijack, not interested in people playing at being racing drivers lol

Right so no one is allowed to mention the £50k van they had to sell because it had non stop issues.
We're meant to just live with the issues and keep schtum.

We had our Cali for three years with at least ten major faults.

We had our BMW 335d for six years with one very minor brake issue

Our current BMW had a replacement fuel pump as a recall under warranty but that's it (21 months old)

The only vehicle we've had which got near to our Cali for issues was a Defender 110 which we bought Used Approved and after investigation, turned out to be a thrashed, ex works truck.

I've run many cars, some very old. None have got anywhere near our California for problems; yet the Cali was bought new and by far the most expensive vehicle we've ever bought.

Now apologies for daring to come back after contributing massively to this forum for three years. Apologies for wondering whether another model of Cali might be less troublesome. Apologies for bringing out a large number of similarly troubled owners/buyers.

Clearly the forum has changed. Looks great but spoiled by shouty members who get very antsy when a decent, acceptable question is asked.

Don't go yet Matt

I think you popped in at rather a bad time for there has been a lot of threads of late being very condemnatory of the Cali, it's reliability and VW as an organisation, and I must say for my part that I have made rather a large contribution to that negativity through two threads in particular.

Therefore in part my response was based on "for goodness sake, can't we for once say something positive" and to you I will apologise for my intemperate response.

I will also confess that I am going through the same reasoning. Even though I have had no mechanical problems with my vehicle whatsoever I do get nervous with new diesel engines these days, it does seem as if they are having to be stressed to extinction to meet ever increasing regulation.

My instinct, if I was going T6, would be to look at the 150, a lot less stressed if for a slight loss of performance compared to the current 180. I would also be interested in petrol variants if they ever come in RHD form. However the vehicle has not even reached these shores yet so again I think I would want to wait and see.

Very frustrating. I've just gone through the same merry go round that I went through two years ago, this time triggered by the VW response to a nagging irritant, and still have to say that imo the Cali is the best vehicle on the market, the negatives that we all know about more than made up for by the huge positives.

If they did a petrol Cali, I would buy it immediately. I think there might be a petrol T6 but not coming to the UK. And no worries Jen; seemed ever so slightly out of character.

Bluestone; I had full instruction and it was great. Apparently I couldn't push any harder on the hairpins or long bends but I never quite got the hang of the chicanes. And braking that late took some getting used to. My lap time was okay but plenty to shave off. The car was great though; brakes coped well, auto box was ideal. I fitted new tyres soon afterwards and 8mpg average! They rent out supercharged Atoms; I think I'd try one of those next time.
Sadly we are SO far from any tracks that it makes regular trips impossible.

If they did a petrol Cali, I would buy it immediately. I think there might be a petrol T6 but not coming to the UK. And no worries Jen; seemed ever so slightly out of character.

Bluestone; I had full instruction and it was great. Apparently I couldn't push any harder on the hairpins or long bends but I never quite got the hang of the chicanes. And braking that late took some getting used to. My lap time was okay but plenty to shave off. The car was great though; brakes coped well, auto box was ideal. I fitted new tyres soon afterwards and 8mpg average! They rent out supercharged Atoms; I think I'd try one of those next time.
Sadly we are SO far from any tracks that it makes regular trips impossible.

There are two petrol variants in LHD ... one a 204 equivalent ...

It would be nice to have a RHD UK version though!

like you I would be first in the queue.

One question mark would be what to do for heating given that I spend a good deal of my time where it's cold.

Back