Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Repeated questions.

The more threads and posts the merrier in my opinion. We need to encourage members to take part more not put them off. Like Briwy said "stickies" with the common FAQ would help those starting out . :thumb

The more threads and posts the merrier in my opinion. We need to encourage members to take part more not put them off. Like Briwy said "stickies" with the common FAQ would help those starting out . :thumb
Do you not think Stickies would encourage not posting at all?? (Just a question I do not know the answer to).

I think it all boils down to a change in society and the advent of smartphones, tablets and computers.
People have lost the art of finding out things for themselves. It's much easier to just ask someone for the answer than to do the leg work of finding it out for yourself.
Subjective posts, best site, best topper or best bike rack etc: requires opinions and recommendations which will vary over time with new models new sites etc:.
Objective posts however will only vary with vehicle model or accessory. How many posts have we seen where the poster has a problem, posts expecting an answer but cannot even be bothered to say what vehicle/year/engine they have. I am willing to help in my limited way but I don't intend playing 20 questions. So such posters might well get short thrift from me depending on how many Glavia's I've had.
Eg: " How many leisure batteries do I have "?
Who knows?
Google Search of this Forum shows 32 pages on my iPad.
If such a poster cannot give the information or do a search then they shouldn't be surprised if they get a less than helpful response.

Do you not think Stickies would encourage not posting at all?? (Just a question I do not know the answer to).
I don't think so, they might help people after a quick solution or someone who has difficulty making sense of, for example, the auxiliary heater without maybe feeling a bit daft/hesitant asking the question. Further questions should be welcomed on any subject but armed with a little knowledge already will help.

I don't think so, they might help people after a quick solution or someone who has difficulty making sense of, for example, the auxiliary heater without maybe feeling a bit daft/hesitant asking the question. Further questions should be welcomed on any subject but armed with a little knowledge already will help.
Interesting point larrylamb. Would it be a mammoth task to do quickly or take a long time to naturally encompass most FAQs and make a stickies section? Quite a fluid thing really forum dynamics.

I don't think so either.
We came to Calis after having Mazda Bongos and the Bongo forum has extensive downloads and FAQs that have been gathered over many years but the actual forum itself is still very active. The Bongo forum is slightly different in that being older vehicles there is more emphasis on maintenance rather than what extra bits to buy but I seem to think that is beginning to happen more on here as well as many Calis are now out of warranty and people are looking at ways to save money on repairs. Perhaps if members have done a job on the Cali or installed/changed something they could send it in to moderators who could decide if it merits becoming a sticky.

As a newbie I love the similar thread area - it has opened up many other areas I wouldn't have known about :thumb A great function indeed!

As it is still three sleeps until we get Bertie, I'm using the search facility a great deal to increase my knowledge in advance whilst contributing as and where I can e.g. the welcome page - this is a great forum and I can't wait to be able to contribute more once we're official Cali owners :D

CJ

Did you tell your children to use a dictionary or did you just spoon feed them the answer..?
Is it the same later in life?

Just playing Devils Avacado :cool:

Did you tell your children to use a dictionary or did you just spoon feed them the answer..?
Is it the same later in life?

Just playing Devils Avacado :cool:
Dictionary, Encyclopaedia and Internet Searching. I'm 4th in Line:D

Back