Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

retro fitting a parking heater

Mama Mama

Mama Mama

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
My VW Cali (2007).does not have a parking heater. Firstly, is it worth doing? Secondly are there any recommendations for someone to do this for me . I am based in Sussex. TIA

We had ours fitted in Devon. Needed to leave it with them for the day, so we stayed in a campsite with our caravan and used a motorbike for transport to and from and left it with them the night before. However we like the heater. Plan to use it again while waiting for a ferry, could be 4 hours at the port late at night. Useful too when winter shopping at a windy supermarket. Great for warming van before going out on cold mornings. Have not used it for camping as only camp in summer or use caravan as well.

My VW Cali (2007).does not have a parking heater. Firstly, is it worth doing? Secondly are there any recommendations for someone to do this for me . I am based in Sussex. TIA

@Mama Mama , the first part of the question - only you can answer. It has to be worth it for you, as per your use case.

We could not do without it as we use the Cali all year round ... or looking at it another way, it enables us to use the Cali all year round. Austria - 4 feet of snow and at -5 deg C - we were toasty and warm in the Cali.

Many people use the Cali on their skiing trips. No better way to dry wet Skiing gear.

Not used personally but as mentioned earlier - Planar Pete comes recommended and have heard many positive comments.

If you don’t mind sharing, what sort of price are we looking at all fitted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I thought as it is an SE it would have a heater as standard.

Ah well, you learn something new every day.

At Slidepods in Aug 2018 to a T5 Beach - Webasto 2000 with controller fitted was £1560 but you will also allow for somewhere to stay/transport while it is fitted.

Buy a complete kit from the likes of Bowers at Stoke on Trent

Fit it your self, most difficult part is dropping the diesel tank and installing the feed pipe.

Eberspacher kit a bit less than £650

Webasto kit a bit less than £700 but unlike the Eberspacher this does not have the specific VW parts.

DIY you have the option of simple air input & output ducts or spend the extra money and fit the OEM parts in the front door step and right 'B' post.

Thanks everyone. Planet Pete it is then! All booked for the end of October. Yay
He fitted mine and did a great job with OEM trim. Get the modem, you can turn the heater on and off from your phone, if you are on your way back from a walk or pub you can turn heater on 15 mins before you get back and have a nice warm van.

Thanks @calikev and @kurienp. It looks like he does good work. I’ve asked him if he can fit a Telestart to my coolant heater. The aim is to have a warm engine before starting it on cold mornings.

HEATING AND APPLIANCES - inc vat & fitting

Dometic 20L Oven and Grill (compatible with Classic) £450.00
Dometic Grill only £350.00
Microwave (compatible with Lithium upgrade) £150.00

Webasto Air top 2000 diesel heater £1,100.00
Webasto 7 day timer digital controller upgrade £75.00
Planar diesel heater inc. digital timer controller £895.00
Planar smartphone app £150.00
Webasto Thermo top evo water heater inc. air heater £2,295.00

Webasto diesel hob £1,100.00
Wallas diesel hob/heater £1,600.00
External BBQ point £100.00
Electric plinth heater (for use with hook up only) £200.00
Waeco drawer fridge black £650.00
Underslung LPG tank £695.00

Propex under slung 15Litre/6kg LPG tank and HS2000 heater £1,400.00

I think I paid just over a grand for my retrofit - essential Cali kit for the UK. Enjoy!

Depends on your location.
Please feel free to message me through my page.
Many thanks
PP

Back