Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

road tax from April 2017

Ah but in relative terms in 5 years time the VED on post April 2017 Californias should be around say £200-250. Compared to pre April 2017 Californias whose road tax could be a lot higher. I got to cling to this hope as I just missed the cut in March this year. But being the eternal pessimist it will probably be the case that after 5 years no one will want to buy my diesel as everyone will want only the electric only version.
Yes but you could keep it until around 2039 and get £10,000 scrapage. ;)

Yes but you could keep it until around 2039 and get £10,000 scrapage. ;)
By then though a T10 California will be at least £120000 and still have halogen lights as standard.

I wouldn't get to hung up paying £1.37 a day (£500 a year) to have a lovely shiny Cali on the drive.

Those worrying should remember how much tax you pay annually on income tax, vat, fuel, Cigarettes, alcohol etc. The Cali is definitely the best value.....:)

I have just joined the forum and thinking of buying a pre-registered 2018 ex-demo Ocean soon. As I understand the road tax can no longer be carried over to a new owner, I will have to re-tax myself at purchase. Will the road tax go down to the renewal rate of £450, or will it be the original £500 rate as it would be less than year since first registration?

I have just joined the forum and thinking of buying a pre-registered 2018 ex-demo Ocean soon. As I understand the road tax can no longer be carried over to a new owner, I will have to re-tax myself at purchase. Will the road tax go down to the renewal rate of £450, or will it be the original £500 rate as it would be less than year since first registration?
First reg. rate is just that, first reg.
You should only pay the 'standard' rate from that time onwards, unless the Dealer is trying to pull a fast one by over charging you.
If you go to the DVLA site you can check the rate if you have full vehicle details.
You need the V5 11 digit number to do a direct check.

https://vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/EnterV5C

• Thanks
Reactions: DG1
Many thanks for the quick reply!

Despite spending several weeks researching conversions and Oceans (including hours poring over the fantastically helpful discussions on this forum) I never realised about the post-April 2017 reg road tax whammy until last week. It seems so unfair that T6 camper conversions costing over £40K after the conversion and pumping out exactly the same exhaust pollutants pay so much less—but I see many have complained about this here before.

Ouch... hefty tax on a new one + £500/year then. Might be a reason for me to consider second hand then (i'm currently deciding on what to get)

Mine will be on the Cali's for sale section soon. Just need to renew my VIP membership.

Back