Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 brakes, lukas or teves

B

Birtie

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Hi all, just a quick question, brake pad warning light has popped up on our 2015 cali. Thing is putting the number plate into euro car parts website offers multiple choices of pads, seems it could be either a lucas system or a Teves. Is there a simple way to find out, I've had it up on the ramps and measured the discs but couldn't see anything written on them. Any help would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.

My van went into my local garage for disc pads and rear discs today.

He has recommended a set of Italian Magneti Marelli - Brembo pads. Apparently they are the top Italian brake manufacturer.

I have said yes, so will see how they wear and report back.

I should point out that if you ever need to get a VW dealer to work on any of the brake parts in the future, the dealer will refuse to work on your van if 'non standard VW parts' are fitted. This is VWUK policy apparently.

Alan

Ah, thanks for the heads up Alan I didn't know that. I definitely won't pay main stealer prices but might well be worth buying vw parts for sure.

You need to look up the PR-code to be sure as ECP lists the PR-Code in the pad details.
Alternatively use the brembo online catalogue.

Thanks Loz, may be a silly question but where do I find the PR-code

My van went into my local garage for disc pads and rear discs today.

He has recommended a set of Italian Magneti Marelli - Brembo pads. Apparently they are the top Italian brake manufacturer.

I have said yes, so will see how they wear and report back.

I should point out that if you ever need to get a VW dealer to work on any of the brake parts in the future, the dealer will refuse to work on your van if 'non standard VW parts' are fitted. This is VWUK policy apparently.

Alan

Hi @AlanC thats new to me can’t say I have ever heard of a dealer not working on a vehicle because of non gen parts we see non gen parts all the time and we have no vw directive not to work on non standard parts, interesting where your dealer got that from ? The only thing it can effect is warranty in some but not all cases.

With regards to the Brembo pads they one of if not the best brake manufacturer out there Ive just fitted a set to my Audi TT, I would never go for less the brake efficiency with brembo pads and discs is far superior to anything else, standard brake wise.

Hi @AlanC thats new to me can’t say I have ever heard of a dealer not working on a vehicle because of non gen parts we see non gen parts all the time and we have no vw directive not to work on non standard parts, interesting where your dealer got that from ? The only thing it can effect is warranty in some but not all cases.

With regards to the Brembo pads they one of if not the best brake manufacturer out there Ive just fitted a set to my Audi TT, I would never go for less the brake efficiency with brembo pads and discs is far superior to anything else, standard brake wise.
I had fitted a set of H&R springs sometime ago, and when I needed to get a suspension clank looked at by my local dealer last year, (you will know them I am sure) I was told in no uncertain terms by the service assistant that, as the van was fitted with non VW items, they could not work on it. I was told, at the time, it was an edict from VWUK, but was also the dealer company policy.

Time was short and following a conversation with the helpful service manager, we agreed to swap the offending springs for VW lower ones, which were in stock, and then complete the repair. The problem was a seized anti-roll bar drop arm.

I was caught between a rock and a ferry so had to go with it. Was an expensive holiday!

My van is well out to warranty and as I have now found reliable mechanic, this should not be an issue in the future.

I am please that the Brembo pads are good. I was a little concerned when they were suggested, but figured if they don't last, they are cheapish and easy to replace.

Alan

Back