Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show Us Your Awning Setup

H

Hearny

Vehicle
T5 SE 140

This is with my Kyham, which is up in 10mins. I have just bought a Vango Idris 2 air beam so have not used it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speleo62

Speleo62

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
@Speleo62 how do you find the sheltapod? Liked the look of this, it’s doesn’t look too big and the new version comes with extra sides as well. Does it attach with the awning in place?
We love it. Not hard to set up and we use a kador strip and figure 8 with it. Yes to awning but can also be used with straps over the roof

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
That looks a very weird set up, even if another family member is in that other van, I like my privacy especially in the morning.

Each to their own
We won't join to you then, not even when you aren't looking.

sapto

sapto

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130

Last year set up (Thule Sun Block Front), this year we‘re going to add a pop up tent to use as a garage.

Mullaghroe

Mullaghroe

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
So we've just returned from our very first trip with our T6 Beach. Learned loads even tho it was only 2 nights away but we knew this would be the case and have already started planning for this weekend.

Our biggest requirement is for an awning, 2 adults plus a 1 year old means we need some space to keep car seats and buggies etc. won't be sleeping in it but will be using it for a drink or 2 in the evening once our little girl is sleeping. So with this in mind, Show us your awing setup, lets see what everyones using and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Matty
Agree 100% with Max-Felix. Very reluctant to use our Kampa Air Beam awning because of all the faffing around especially in the wet. Considering a standalone pop-up tent for 'stuff'. Want the freedom to drive away easily.

fozzybear

fozzybear

fozzybear63
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I’m on the same camp as you - just don’t know which one? The Quencha seems ideal but they don’t make model that everyone has anymore. Let me know which way you go.

burko73

burko73

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
we use a khyam motorhome classic. can put a "room" inside for the dog cage if wet or cold and stash baby seats, bikes all that sort of stuff inside. we rarely attach it to the van these days, just use it as a garage/ windbreak/ shade/ kennel. easy then to drive away. We use the wind out awing to butt up to it but don't generally connect.

Those khyam awnings with he rapidex system really are quick to put up. I never fancy it but am always surprises how quick it is to put up. Literally 2 minutes if that and its up. First time I used it I assumed it would take ages to take down but it is again literally 2 mins. collapse, legs, roll up, roll onto bag, zip up bag, done.

A bit bulky and heavy perhaps but bombproof in the wind and very easy to erect, take down.

SallyHG

SallyHG

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
View attachment 34863

Vango Airhub Hexaway (purchased from club shop;)) Love the space, great if you don't need an awning to sleep in and looks really cool when set-up :D One simple inflation point and up it goes!
Can you add an annexe to the Hexaway? Great set up.

capt_steve

capt_steve

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We have tried drive away awnings but kept coming back to our Comfortz awning because it was quick and easy. The only thing we thought it was lacking was enough light, so have now gone for a Thule G2 Residence Room.

BB321B78-5913-4F74-A008-C9D702298C16.jpeg

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have tried drive away awnings but kept coming back to our Comfortz awning because it was quick and easy. The only thing we thought it was lacking was enough light, so have now gone for a Thule G2 Residence Room.

View attachment 36249
In your picture it looks as if you have installed a Velux window in the roof. That seems pretty ambitious.

capt_steve

capt_steve

VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
In your picture it looks as if you have installed a Velux window in the roof. That seems pretty ambitious.
It was installed by VW and they pinky swore that there would be no corrosion issues. They even gave me a direct email if there were any issues, it’s www.Ur aving a larf.Com

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We love it. Not hard to set up and we use a kador strip and figure 8 with it. Yes to awning but can also be used with straps over the roof
Thanks for the tour of your set-up in Devon. Our SheltaPod has just arrived and we are really looking forward to using it.
Simon & Helen

Mr T

Mr T

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Can you add an annexe to the Hexaway? Great set up.
Not that I am aware of. Had a quick look on the Vango site and couldn't see anything. The Airhub Hexaway is a great living space, but if you want additional sleeping it's not the right choice imo.

M

Matty

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
@Hearny have you used your Idris 2 yet? any thoughts as it looks like a good option for what we want.

H

Hearny

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
@Hearny have you used your Idris 2 yet? any thoughts as it looks like a good option for what we want.
Yes I’m currently in Austria and it’s good. It has taken a few pitches to get it right. I used a Kyham awning for 4 years so blowing things up seemed strange. There are 3 of us and we can get table and three chairs in. The area between the van and awning is larger than the kyham so you have to utilise it. By the way I bought mine on a JK 15% day and got it for about £330 ish if I remember

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M

Matty

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Cheers to everyone for their input and pics, after looking at too many to mention we decided to go for the Idris 2. Was tempted by the sheltapod and hexaway but hopefully made the right choice. And to make things even better leasiureoutlet.com has a massive sale on you're getting them at £300 instead of £550.
cheers folks

CampervanBits

CampervanBits

VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
N/A
These are the last of the Idris as it's being discontinued hence the low clearance prices online. We attended the 2019 launch event a few weeks ago and Vango has some great new models coming out next year along with some new awning material.

As soon as we are allowed to disclose these new models we will post them on the forum.

Our Partners