Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show Us Your Awning Setup

Quechua base seconds isn’t bad.
Although we have been slimming down again this year and getting rid of this too.
But we take it just in case.
3mins to erect, 3 mins to take down

0C7CEA6C-5CB8-4466-AF1A-F8B8A0A468A2.jpeg

Outwell Darlington. Putting it up / taking it down is about 15 mins now. Not huge, which is what I wanted, but big enough for the two of us.

IMG_2551.jpg

We have a very small Sunncamp one, which we hardly ever use tbh, but we bought it in anticipation of longer holidays in the south of France for storing stuff and sitting in in the unlikely event of adverse weather. Our son, who didn't fancy sleeping in the van with us, slept in it last summer on a visit to North Berwick.20170805_143359.jpg

@Speleo62 how do you find the sheltapod? Liked the look of this, it’s doesn’t look too big and the new version comes with extra sides as well. Does it attach with the awning in place?

This is what bought after much deliberation. We didn’t want a tent awning as we felt it would take too long and a faff to put up and take down, but we did want extra room occasionally. The bonus of the event shelter is that your mates can pull up alongside one of the openings making it a really nice communal area. We also have blank walls and a door if we use on our own. It only takes 10 mins to put up, easy peasy! Having used it for three years we should have bought the waterproof one, although this hasn’t let us down in the rain, but does only get used in the summer.

58960D97-D0A1-4B7F-828A-80D6E0A2FFB5.jpeg

We now have a simple sun/privacy screen that also stops all but the most persistent rain, (also acts as additional tie-down for the wind out) and if Chris brings all his paddle clobber we throw up a 2 man pop-up or even a Loo tent to use as additional storage.
View attachment 34885 View attachment 34884
We have this set-up as well - the Thule screen is brilliant and it creates a great living space with some privacy. We also have an easily-portable Quest ‘instant’ (and it really is) 1.5 x 1.5 utility tent, mainly for the dog’s many possessions!

03E957E3-D9F0-49F6-ADAE-60EE0E857D1B.jpeg 7A1F7EED-6CBD-4961-BB02-41BD0C2EC8A5.jpeg We have a huge vango galli 2 for ‘big trips’ and a smaller and super light ‘kitchen/stowage’ awning for shorter trips and good weather

The trip I’m on right now I’m in Devon with the Cali awning wound out and little simple awning!

We’re starting to question though, if the big awning was indeed as necessary as we originally though! But we concluded, yes because spring and autumn nights get chilly or wet and it’s our comfy cave.

Another sheltapod fan here. We have the same issue of enormous car seats. But wanted something that won't take up too much space as van already full ok kiddy clobber. This attaches to wind out awning wound out a little (as in our pic) or a lot.

20180602_190023.jpg

We have 2 awnings, safari tent sides for short trips and longer trips Vango Gali low air, we too are taking less and less away but with two kids the vans rocking at night, and it isn’t us I might add, it’s them too kicking each other, now one now goes in the Vango awning, it is great having the space. However we do envisage going without any awning when kids don’t come with us anymore.

image.jpeg
I thought this sort of practice was reserved for Marco Polo owners

+1 for the Sheltapod, again for car seats and clobber. After reading a few threads on here and speaking to a few folk, the Sheltapod seemed a good balance of cost and low hassle. And yes it attaches to the wind out awning with a fig 8 and strip.

E8792ED2-8A0F-4C9A-8AB1-7B12D44E389E.jpeg

dc8775f82654315ee96fa5e0464468ee.jpg

This is with my Kyham, which is up in 10mins. I have just bought a Vango Idris 2 air beam so have not used it yet

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Speleo62 how do you find the sheltapod? Liked the look of this, it’s doesn’t look too big and the new version comes with extra sides as well. Does it attach with the awning in place?
We love it. Not hard to set up and we use a kador strip and figure 8 with it. Yes to awning but can also be used with straps over the roof

That looks a very weird set up, even if another family member is in that other van, I like my privacy especially in the morning.

Each to their own
We won't join to you then, not even when you aren't looking.

7056b2664927cb95ddc64494dce1e647.jpg

Last year set up (Thule Sun Block Front), this year we‘re going to add a pop up tent to use as a garage.

So we've just returned from our very first trip with our T6 Beach. Learned loads even tho it was only 2 nights away but we knew this would be the case and have already started planning for this weekend.

Our biggest requirement is for an awning, 2 adults plus a 1 year old means we need some space to keep car seats and buggies etc. won't be sleeping in it but will be using it for a drink or 2 in the evening once our little girl is sleeping. So with this in mind, Show us your awing setup, lets see what everyones using and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Matty
Agree 100% with Max-Felix. Very reluctant to use our Kampa Air Beam awning because of all the faffing around especially in the wet. Considering a standalone pop-up tent for 'stuff'. Want the freedom to drive away easily.

I’m on the same camp as you - just don’t know which one? The Quencha seems ideal but they don’t make model that everyone has anymore. Let me know which way you go.

we use a khyam motorhome classic. can put a "room" inside for the dog cage if wet or cold and stash baby seats, bikes all that sort of stuff inside. we rarely attach it to the van these days, just use it as a garage/ windbreak/ shade/ kennel. easy then to drive away. We use the wind out awing to butt up to it but don't generally connect.

Those khyam awnings with he rapidex system really are quick to put up. I never fancy it but am always surprises how quick it is to put up. Literally 2 minutes if that and its up. First time I used it I assumed it would take ages to take down but it is again literally 2 mins. collapse, legs, roll up, roll onto bag, zip up bag, done.

A bit bulky and heavy perhaps but bombproof in the wind and very easy to erect, take down.