Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show Us Your Awning Setup

4d6ed39ea57b61cb8fe89276ec6ced7a.jpg

2 Thule side panels and working on something for the „front end“. Worked for us last trip and for the moment.

Love the wheels! Are they stock? Considering some new ones on our van, we've got stock 17" Devonport alloy wheels on at the moment but now i'm used to driving to van and the dimensions, i'd like some smarter ones.

View attachment 34863

Vango Airhub Hexaway (purchased from club shop;)) Love the space, great if you don't need an awning to sleep in and looks really cool when set-up :D One simple inflation point and up it goes!
]
@Mr T (or other owners) how is the Hexaway in chilly windy weather? We have an event shelter and love the set up but are looking for something warmer for when it's cold and windy. The shelter is freezing in these circumstances as it has no groundsheet and only has toggle in sides.. I love the look of the Hexhub or Hexaway but am interested in it's windproof qualities - so any comments form owners would be great, thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Love the wheels! Are they stock? Considering some new ones on our van, we've got stock 17" Devonport alloy wheels on at the moment but now i'm used to driving to van and the dimensions, i'd like some smarter ones.

Thank you! I love them too! These are Platin Wheels P69 Black, with 225/55 R17 Conti vancontact 200 tires. Got them now for about 3years. Really happy with them.

4d6ed39ea57b61cb8fe89276ec6ced7a.jpg

2 Thule side panels and working on something for the „front end“. Worked for us last trip and for the moment.
I like that sapto, thats the way we roll, sh1t all over and bikes spread around.
Some people are just a bit too private i think. :thumb
How are you meant to interact sat in your closed up awning looking
at the kitchen in the Cali.

This is our set-up, but we are newbies and still struggling to park the Cali back in the right place first time round without a bit of to’ing and fro’ing! At least it keeps the other campers entertained

5ED0FF18-9199-48D7-BE93-C21F7BF2E1DF.jpeg

We have tried drive away awnings but kept coming back to our Comfortz awning because it was quick and easy. The only thing we thought it was lacking was enough light, so have now gone for a Thule G2 Residence Room.

View attachment 36249

We use the comfortz one and take off one or two of the three sides - as they are so easy to take off and put back up. Works well for a couple of nights.

Off to Beardy folk festival tomorrow in Shropshire with
  • Roll out awning
  • Outdoor revolution outhouse handi driveaway
  • Quechua popup shower tent with hand pump shower
  • 3x3 m tarp and poles
  • Couple of good, dark shower curtains
All quite frugal on travelling space.

Don’t know what configuration yet. We’re not arriving until around 6pm (dratted work) so there might not be much space left.

Here’s our Khyam Motordome yesterday. Only gets used occasionally, but seems better attached to roll out awning than directly to the van
629e13660c5b8c3b235f090cf85db6a4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off to Beardy folk festival tomorrow in Shropshire with
  • Roll out awning
  • Outdoor revolution outhouse handi driveaway
  • Quechua popup shower tent with hand pump shower
  • 3x3 m tarp and poles
  • Couple of good, dark shower curtains
All quite frugal on travelling space.

Don’t know what configuration yet. We’re not arriving until around 6pm (dratted work) so there might not be much space left.
As suspected, not much space so couldn’t connect the driveaway awning. Dog had an upset tummy in the night (hence the washing line). Kellie kettle for water and cooking brekkie.A5860131-254D-4FF1-A8D5-9F097FBE88D0.jpeg

Last edited:
This is our set-up, but we are newbies and still struggling to park the Cali back in the right place first time round without a bit of to’ing and fro’ing! At least it keeps the other campers entertained

View attachment 46457
If you have room, wind out the windy out awning. Then you only need to be straight and it doesn’t matter if your distance is out a bit. Not as much fun for the onlookers though. :)

Last edited:
If you have room, wind out the windy out awning. Then you only need to be straight and it doesn’t matter if your distance is out a bit. Not as much fun for th e onlookers though. :)

That looks interesting, Gillian. I’m wondering if it could be adapted slightly and used at the back of the van. It will pack up nice and small I should think.
Will have a look when I get it out of the box and see.

It sounds ideal, please lets know how you find it when you've tried it out :)
Will do. Might try it tomorrow. Erecting tents definitely not my strong point so if I can do it anyone could!

So we've just returned from our very first trip with our T6 Beach. Learned loads even tho it was only 2 nights away but we knew this would be the case and have already started planning for this weekend.

Our biggest requirement is for an awning, 2 adults plus a 1 year old means we need some space to keep car seats and buggies etc. won't be sleeping in it but will be using it for a drink or 2 in the evening once our little girl is sleeping. So with this in mind, Show us your awing setup, lets see what everyones using and what works and what doesn't.

Cheers,
Matty

Gybe. Absolutely brilliant. Once you get the hang of it, goes up in 10 mins and down in 10mins. Quite small bag. Huge increase in living space footprint. Looks cool too imho

2D957D5E-A3A4-4928-B2B9-3C1580C3FAD4.jpeg

A1C9701D-91D6-454B-9E13-5222F57038AE.jpeg

AB8E9BC9-C579-4618-8830-196D904D159F.jpeg