Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show Us Your Awning Setup

This is our set up from Ardnamurchan last week.

It's a Vango Kela III that I got second hand.

It did reasonably well - leaked a bit in the heavy rain and was a pain to pitch (solid rock ground was the issue not the awning)

However I think I would like something ever so slightly bigger -- any opinions on what I should look at?

Likely to be used from anything as basecamp tent (e.g. for evening 'hanging out') for a bunch of climbers who are otherwise sleeping in small mountain tents (whilst I'm comfy in van :)) to a family holiday

Would like something reasonably robust for all season trips.

thanks

KOPZ0871.JPG

IMG_7861.JPG

Last edited:

It did reasonably well - leaked a bit in the heavy rain and was a pain to pitch (solid rock ground was the issue not the awning)

However I think I would like something ever so slightly bigger -- any opinions on what I should look at?

Likely to be used from anything as basecamp tent for a bunch of climbers who are sleeping in small mountain tents to a family holiday

thanks

View attachment 48614

View attachment 48615
Was that after you was burgled.:)

Likely to be used from anything as basecamp tent (e.g. for evening 'hanging out') for a bunch of climbers who are otherwise sleeping in small mountain tents (whilst I'm comfy in van :)) to a family holiday

thanks

View attachment 48614

View attachment 48615
Hi @kp64zl

Not sure if it's the sort of thing you'd consider but we have the Khyam Dub Hub XL which is roomy and very flexible: It is 5000HH, has 2 fully zip off sides and a clip in bathtub groundsheet (not sure if you are after sewn in?) which means it can either be used like an event shelter (very open) or can be fully zipped up with the ground sheet in if the weather is poor. Once you've got the knack it's easy to put up and take down, but it is a large pack size.

Our setup in a rather wet Cahors in June of this year.
Everything goes in the trailer for trips of over a week as we have 2 rather large dogs who,take up a lot of space in the Cali. I sleep upstairs and the other 1/2 with the 2 dogs in the awning.

DSC02377.JPG

Vango Palm ( bought from forum shop) 2 adults and big black lab ... we find it very useful, to sit of an evening, if it gets very wet it's roomier than the van and helps with storage if you fancy a drive away without packing up. It takes up about half of the boot lower space but is light and easy to erect IMG_2048.JPG

This is what I saw at a campsite recently - Vango Sapera -- like an extended Kela - doesn't seem like they make them any more unfortunately.

Does anyone know of anything similar available? I think I like the fact it's at right angles to the van rather than parallel like the Galli.

Was also reasonably impressed with the airbeams..(would be interested to hear any views as to whether thought more robust than poles)

Amused by the 0% off on one of the camping shop websites!

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 09.49.31.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 09.52.18.png

This is what I saw at a campsite recently - Vango Sapera -- like an extended Kela - doesn't seem like they make them any more unfortunately.

Does anyone know of anything similar available? I think I like the fact it's at right angles to the van rather than parallel like the Galli.

Was also reasonably impressed with the airbeams..(would be interested to hear any views as to whether thought more robust than poles)

Amused by the 0% off on one of the camping shop websites!

View attachment 48714

View attachment 48715
That’s what we have. It’s great but a bit too big for some regimented sites, particularly when attached to the extended wind-out!
FBAC0BDB-2335-4420-8583-C102F5878EAC.jpeg

That’s what we have. It’s great but a bit too big for some regimented sites, particularly when attached to the extended wind-out!
View attachment 48720

Thanks. I generally avoid regimented sites!!

Your picture shows exactly what I'm hoping to achieve - nice one
My feeling is that awning such a pain to put up down transport etc might as well go the whole hog and get a massive one (my Quecha pop up gazebo useful for shorter trips etc instead)

shame they don't make these any more...

This is not mine but saw it on a site outside Lübeck this summer and thought I’d share it as it was something we were thinking about getting.

6FC83695-D0B6-48F9-8FAC-A85468899D45.jpeg
105DBC82-2183-4BE5-9D77-265C83ECEFDE.jpeg

Thanks. I generally avoid regimented sites!!

Your picture shows exactly what I'm hoping to achieve - nice one
My feeling is that awning such a pain to put up down transport etc might as well go the whole hog and get a massive one (my Quecha pop up gazebo useful for shorter trips etc instead)

shame they don't make these any more...
Yeah, me too!

It’ll be coming out again this weekend. Setting off tomorrow for four days camping at the Cadwell Park British Superbikes weekend. It comes into its own at events such as that.
Hope you find one. You might be lucky and find someone with old stock or someone looking to downsize!

Has anyone got a "Quick Erect Kyham Motordome Tailgate Awning" and if so how do you get on with it? Pictures would be great if poss, thank you

We have a grey Sheltapod 1 year old and only used once. We found it sat too far away from our van (sorry not a Cali yet) IMG-20180508-WA0003.jpegand was too big for some sites we visit. It is for sale if anyone interested. We have bought a small Vango airbeam which is perfect for us.

This is not mine but saw it on a site outside Lübeck this summer and thought I’d share it as it was something we were thinking about getting.

View attachment 48726
View attachment 48727
My setup too. I had a proper drive away tent (don’t even remember which) and sold after using once. Too many cons for me. Now I’m happy with all decathlon stuffs. If I’m staying in the same place for a week or so, I bring with me and use a Base seconds 4.1. A room for storage (expecially car childseats) and one for living. 15 minutes to assembly e 10 to dismantle. If I’m going for a shorter vacation, Arpenaz base M gazebo. Cheap, easy and quick to install (5 minutes, even less to dismantle). For both tent I spent less than half of a drive away tent.

I don't have any pics but use an Oztent and side panel as a drive away type awning, works a treat and is practically bulletproof.

Outwell Pace, as it does not fix to the van you can have it as close or as far away as space permits, using the wind out awning as required
EB45A683-56C3-4F92-B3F7-FCA2D0773F2D.jpeg

Damp stay at Ravenglass CC&C, Palm air working great

View attachment 47410
Hi Taff7996 - re your Vango Palm awning I am thinking of getting one and was wondering how yours has stood the test of the time ? I am attracted to the lightness, size and speed of erecting it. I was wondering whether the material has proved to be robust and weather proof and any tips you could give thanks Scoobz

Vango Palm ( bought from forum shop) 2 adults and big black lab ... we find it very useful, to sit of an evening, if it gets very wet it's roomier than the van and helps with storage if you fancy a drive away without packing up. It takes up about half of the boot lower space but is light and easy to erect View attachment 48705
HI BeeBee was also wondering how you got on with your Palm Vango - see post above

Those of you who are canny enough might notice something a little off with this setup
Van needs to be further forward so you can open the driver's door.

Van needs to be further to the right or the canopy wound out a little more so the Airbeam doesn't lean to the left.