Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Show us your "Two Tone" California

+alistairogrady
clear.gif

It looks good!
Thanks very much @Gazellio!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Great looking van Alistair. I have often wondered what VW would have done with the extra space had they used the LWB body. How is yours laid out?

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve,

Standard lay out, obviously, door on the other side, kitchen unit with rear wardrobe, Smev 2 burner sink and hob, Waeco CR50 compressor fridge, storage above in roof space, and under the worktop, with microwave, and toilet hidden behind a door.

Fixed 3/4 width rock and roll bed, which can slide forward to lower the back for more comfort, but alas not slide all the way like caravelle etc...

In the bottom of the wardrobe at the rear, there are x2 130aH leisure battery's. At the side at the rear is a shower point with hot water from a Truma TT2 tank holding about 5 litres, which is behind the drivers seat and the Eberspacher runs its heat through here to warm the water. It also has a 240v immersion heater for when it's on hook up.

It has a double swivel seat up front, which also folds flat.

There is a internal rail as part of the roof on the rear above the barn doors, and opposite the roof lockers, the wind out pole and rafter for the Fiamma F45S awning goes up here.

Alongside the area behind the sliding door is a small box for magazines, kids toys etc and the handle to release the bed, there's a large cup holder/wine bottle cubby, and at the end of the box near the door is the external bbq point, feeding the hob also from the underfloor lpg in front of the spare wheel.

Also underneath is the water tank for the sink and hot water, shower which is under the side sill. It still retains all (aside from one) of the factory undertrays.

The ceiling has been redone in Alcantara type fabric, with a couple of low warm colour led reading light, with further brighter blue/white leds under the roof lockers.

Additionally, I have also had a pair of mini heki style skylights either end of the roof, with a 200w solar panel in the middle. The control electronics are from Ampera Associates and controls the solar system and the dc-dc charging for all batteries.

The other electrics are standard Zig type mains, 12, charging unit with circuit breakers and switches for fridge, pump etc..

I'll post a few pics so you can get the idea of the layout. I must admit, I've seen some t5 with rear toilet and shower, rear kitchens etc, but must say, the overall quality finish of the California does certainly set it apart..

Cheers!

Alistair
44068e7d6f449597e16e97c58cbec18d.jpg
67669c5cd55085f455cb853ca1808879.jpg
86d4f1017543f4d9bf9b5074135cf948.jpg
47b94b9d8f4387abef81269eaf22058d.jpg
b1e88c1ae35ba18d0c0360bbc4c21876.jpg
3906d2301a68ea0bce81589045ab3800.jpg
4d648653e8739c2073b2dcbbce20fe08.jpg
397f2bae7c3dcf604897ab9554d7f473.jpg
215722408019b80fa13c6f38422bce7e.jpg

Hi Alistair,

That looks and sounds awesome. I am jealous of your hot water, that would definitely be on my wish list.

Happy travels

Steve

Hi Alistair,

That looks and sounds awesome. I am jealous of your hot water, that would definitely be on my wish list.

Happy travels

Steve
Hi Steve

Yes, dead handy for rinsing the kids or whatever if you've been on the beach

Im sure it could be retro fitted into a California, not sure if you could be able to use the heater to heat it as it's plumbed up the door pillars? Though could vent it somewhere and have the heater box somewhere else?

The heater unit and control etc is about 80£ or so iirc. I had space behind my drivers seat which is not swivel and the heater hose comes up through the underfloor mounted Eberspacher and comes out under the drivers seat and takes a tight turn into the back of the heater, and then vents from the front of the red box which houses it, next to the fridge on the above picture. The box also has a small shelf and carpeted inner area next to the fridge where the entire TV can be removed if required, and slid into it's hidy hole.

Wonder what other extra mods can be done to the california, I've seen solar on the pop top...

Alistair

Hi Steve

Yes, dead handy for rinsing the kids or whatever if you've been on the beach

Im sure it could be retro fitted into a California, not sure if you could be able to use the heater to heat it as it's plumbed up the door pillars? Though could vent it somewhere and have the heater box somewhere else?

The heater unit and control etc is about 80£ or so iirc. I had space behind my drivers seat which is not swivel and the heater hose comes up through the underfloor mounted Eberspacher and comes out under the drivers seat and takes a tight turn into the back of the heater, and then vents from the front of the red box which houses it, next to the fridge on the above picture. The box also has a small shelf and carpeted inner area next to the fridge where the entire TV can be removed if required, and slid into it's hidy hole.

Wonder what other extra mods can be done to the california, I've seen solar on the pop top...

Alistair

Hi Alistair,

Thank you for the detailed explanation.

A few of us are going to do the F1 at Spa this year, so I need to come up with a way to have a shower rather than queue up for the ones provided. As much as I would like to have it in the van, I think that a portable shower is on the cards this year.

As for other mods, my only planned one is a light in the wardrobe running off one of the LED units.

Cheers

Steve

Does the factory Air Heater Option include Hot Water in the Ocean? I cannot remember its been ages since we has our SE Van.

Hi Alistair,

A few of us are going to do the F1 at Spa this year, so I need to come up with a way to have a shower rather than queue up for the ones provided. As much as I would like to have it in the van, I think that a portable shower is on the cards this year.

As for other mods, my only planned one is a light in the wardrobe running off one of the LED units.

Cheers

Steve
Hi,

I saw this when I was looking about

https://www.worldofcamping.co.uk/ri...=b7bba39fae79d39263cc2ae6705df37c&fo_s=gplauk

Would that work for you?

Alistair

@Gazellio Where did you get the chrome side trim from? Might be interested in retrofitting this as I didn't get the chrome pack originally.

Hi Alistair,

Cheers

Steve
I brought a portable jet wash that runs off the 12v and you fill it with water so it’s a single unit no need to plum in to water feed. It has an adaptor for hard power (cleaning bikes etc) and a softer shower head. I just boil up some water and add it into half filled unit. Perfect!

Thanks chaps. I think the simpler the better when off grid. I will probably either go for something that can be pumped up, like a garden weeding system or something with a battery that can be dunked into a bucket.

The wide gear lever console is also an option..

Phone receptacle and charge point in cubby.

Last edited:
Hi. These two-tones all look fantastic! We have an Ocean on order in Acapulco Blue, with Arctic Blue bellows. Does anybody know if you can get a white 'wrap' done of the top part or does it not really work that way around?!

Should be possible if not more awkward than the bottom half. I think it would be worth it you could get the awning canister wrapped as well.. The Roof of the Pop Top could remain Blue. You could also get front Door Pillars in Black.

Picture of yours?

Should be possible if not more awkward than the bottom half. I think it would be worth it you could get the awning canister wrapped as well.. The Roof of the Pop Top could remain Blue. You could also get front Door Pillars in Black.

Picture of yours?
No pictures I'm afraid - still on order and currently tangled up in the 'registrations on hold' drama. Fingers crossed for March...

I brought a portable jet wash that runs off the 12v and you fill it with water so it’s a single unit no need to plum in to water feed. It has an adaptor for hard power (cleaning bikes etc) and a softer shower head. I just boil up some water and add it into half filled unit. Perfect!
More detail on this please @BlueJuice !!