Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Side door motor

Thanks Hotel California, I thought it seemed strange as photos show people sat outside under the awning. However salesman was adamant that it will drain the battery. Strangely he claimed the same did not apply to the rear door

The rear door has a warning , there's a small light in the booth under the rear parcelshelf to the left witch goes on when rear door is open it does not have a switch,
i took the bulb out as it gives almost no light and my booth is stuffed with plastic storage boxes ....leaving the rear door open makes the light unnessecary on.

There is definitely a thread somewhere about the full electric door draining the battery if not on hookup.
The door assist is a godsend In the early hours when nature calls. Otherwise the requisite mighty slam of the door might make the campsite neighbours a bit tetchy:confused:

There is definitely a thread somewhere about the full electric door draining the battery if not on hookup.

The full electric door will drain the battery with continuous opening and closing but not if just left open.

Thanks for the responses. I can understand the full electric door and continuous opening / closing being a drain on the battery. However my Cali has the manual door with the electiric lock and I was planning leaving open if say a nice evening and sat outside watching the world go by or chilling out and enjoying a view. I would check again with the salesman when I pick the Cali up and quiz why he believes leaving the door open would drain the battery

Thanks for the responses. I can understand the full electric door and continuous opening / closing being a drain on the battery. However my Cali has the manual door with the electiric lock and I was planning leaving open if say a nice evening and sat outside watching the world go by or chilling out and enjoying a view. I would check again with the salesman when I pick the Cali up and quiz why he believes leaving the door open would drain the battery
Do that often. Had no problems so far.

Thanks Welshgas, I appreciate your answer and those of others. I could not understand why as sure that was one of the main things people would do.

At least on this forum you can ask questions like this as a newbie and not be shot down in flames. I appreciate all the responses I have received

Hi, sorry to reply late, but been in Wales....in the van of course
Last summer, in France, we slept with the door open almost every night for a week. We also had the fridge on, used the lights, charged iPhones etc.
We also left the rear door ajar, just to help air flow.
And our batteries were fine, we didn't even need hook up, and after a long journey from mid France home, the battery was 90%.
So I think the dealer is not correct....although after reading this I think I will follow Hotels idea and pop out the bulbs from the courtesy lights, as we never use them

image.jpeg

Thanks Cyclopath, that is very reassuring. Hope you had a great time in Wales

The salesman is talking &%$£*&%$ I think all the comments above have summarised the best practice:

• Full Electric door constant use can drain the engine battery, although we have not had a problem with this, if I was doing a long weekend without EHU I would probably switch the door to manual.
    • Newer T5's trickle charge the engine battery while on EHU so that should cover you
  • Electric closing for the last few milimeters, could probably also drain the battery, but that would take thousands of operations.
  • We do turn off our interior lights from the big rocker switch near the CCU, this also turns off the funky "California" lights in the footwells, which are pretty but not very useful
  • I had never really considered the light in the boot, but we rarely leave that open for long periods of time.
Sometimes I think salesmen just have to say things to fill gaps in the conversation!

Thanks teeboy, that is rally reassuring. As I said, it did not make sense as to me it seemed that the camper is designed to have the side door left open so you can enjoy the outdoors or be under the awning.
Picking up my Cali early next week and already planning being away for night next weekend