Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Single Burner gas stove in Rear locker?

scraynes

scraynes

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174
Hi All,

Another size question. I'm thinking that one of the single burner gas stoves would be an idea to carry. It can act as a back up for the main if gas runs out on me and can also be used to cook outside, when things are a bit smelly. I've been thinking about a BBQ, but figure that there is enough to deal with already without over complicating things with charcoal.

I Would ideal like to keep it in the rear locker, keeping the kitchen cupboard free for more frequency used items.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to fit one in there. I notice that they do come in different sizes, despite that fact that they are look identical.

Thanks in advance for the input.

That is the type of burner I was thinking about.

Is it small enough to fit on one of the shelves in the rear left locker - say on top of the gas and water tank?

We carry the small Cadec BBQ (Safari Chef) its ideal and very versatile. Its gas powered so no messy charcoal. I use a 907 gas cylinder so have backup gas as well.

That is the type of burner I was thinking about.

Is it small enough to fit on one of the shelves in the rear left locker - say on top of the gas and water tank?
Don't think that will fit , try and let you know ....later;)

Campinggaz has the same model also availeble.

We carry the small Cadec BBQ (Safari Chef) its ideal and very versatile. Its gas powered so no messy charcoal. I use a 907 gas cylinder so have backup gas as well.

Carrying a xtra blue cylinder is an option but one of those small coockers in a case takes less space as it is a "just in case...."

Hi All,

Another size question. I'm thinking that one of the single burner gas stoves would be an idea to carry. It can act as a back up for the main if gas runs out on me and can also be used to cook outside, when things are a bit smelly. I've been thinking about a BBQ, but figure that there is enough to deal with already without over complicating things with charcoal.

I Would ideal like to keep it in the rear locker, keeping the kitchen cupboard free for more frequency used items.

I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to fit one in there. I notice that they do come in different sizes, despite that fact that they are look identical.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hello

We have a spare 907 campingaz bottle & carry a Carena 2 single burner which just screws on top of the bottle works great for our outside cooking when we do not want to light the bbq. Lightweight compact £19.99 packs away in its small box easy to keep clean. Also can be connected to the smaller 904 bottle we use it a lot great purchase.

image.jpg Nope don't fit in the rear wardrobe , mine is 36x32 cm
Don't the size of the campinggas model but thinking about the same...

How about not in its case? Having said that, it looks way too small for it. Thanks for your time

We have a Campingaz Bivouac. It come apart easily and fits perfectly in the locker in its own storage bag

Shame the flat stove won't fit in the rear cupboard, I really like the stability etc of it. I'll have a look at the Bivouac, I don't think it's going to get enough use to be kept in the main kitchen cupboard.

As with all things Cali, there will be a compromise.

Take the stove out of the box, it fits but the door won't close. However, tip it up a bit and voila. Personally I prefer to store it under the rear bed, I like to keep the bottom cupboard space clear for gas valve access.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

motocyclist,

Thanks for the photos - now that's interesting. Which particular model is it? I've notice some are a cm or so different is size from each other which is surprising.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures

Still can not figure out why you want store it in there ....?
Just store it in the booth space , are you not using any kind of storage boxes or bags in the booth?
The wardrobe in the back is better to store things used more frequent , giving quick acses to it....
A gas burner is used on site plenty of time to unload ...

I am using 2 large 'Really useful Box' storage boxes in the boot, so if needs be I could keep it in one of those.

I Use the rear locker for camping stuff - the mains lead, water pipe to fill the tank, a collapsible water carrier, a ground sheet for the awning along with a tarp that I use to extend the awning, awning tie down kit etc - so it just seems like the most obvious place for it. But you might be right - less OCD required ;-/

The wardrobe in the back is better to store things used more frequent , giving quick acses to it....
Yes I agree with that.

I don't what particular make mine is, you see them everywhere with slight variations. Aldi were selling them last week for £9.99, I don't know how they do it for the price - some poor soul in China will be living off 25p a day making the things.

Talking about stoves, I have a Trangia spirit stove which takes up very little space and is good fun to use :D. Not that tight on space in the Cali, but we have a Morgan 2 seater which has very little storage and it's ideal for making a cuppa when we are out in that :)

I am using 2 large 'Really useful Box' storage boxes in the boot, so if needs be I could keep it in one of those.

I Use the rear locker for camping stuff - the mains lead, water pipe to fill the tank, a collapsible water carrier, a ground sheet for the awning along with a tarp that I use to extend the awning, awning tie down kit etc - so it just seems like the most obvious place for it. But you might be right - less OCD required ;-/

Did you check out my previous posted link up here....
In the first reply to this post.
It gives a look on how my Cali is organized....

I did :) those are the boxes that I have. As the evening has gone on, I am thinking that I agree. One box could be used for all the camping stuff to leave the locker free for more useful bits.

We've got a small Cadac safari thing but haven't yet used it much. I've just got it out of the loft for summer use - generally like to clear extras out of the van in the winter. It's reassuring to have that extra gas bottle.

We have the classic Argos CampingGaz one: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3407497.htm They are cheap enough, and often come up on special offer for around £10. The gas lasts a surprisingly long time.

We have it for the same reasons as everyone else - cooking smelly stuff outside, emergency cooking if the 907 runs out (like it did last week after the 1st cup of tea on arrival!). Also they are handy to take away from the van for picnics etc. or as a side burner for the barbeque - for onions etc :)

Doesn't fit in the back cupboard, so just have it in the boot - always fits down the side of a box

Have you thought about the Dead Space between the under seat draw and the kitchen unit, unless of course you are carrying skis.
Also, if you take the Tool Kit off the rear of the bench seat it fits between your 2 plastic boxes. It also allows the boxes to be pushed right forward leaving a 9 to 10 deep space at the rear. I fit my tool box, electric compressor other stuff there.

Have you thought about the Dead Space between the under seat draw and the kitchen unit
I was looking at that to see if the stove would fit, but mine wouldn't. Anyway, I keep my ramps there :)

We took the first shelf out the rear locker to make space for trusted campingaz party grill sat upright in its bag with bottle, also store 12" wok with lid behind it. We have mounted a thin foam sheet to the inside of the blacked window to prevent any scratching. Top shelf in situ suits coiled hose pipe, peg bag, mallet, spares tub etc. Hope this helps? we only use inside hobs for kettle and boiling food or making toast. if weathers really that bad then why not sample the local pub food?