Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

SMG Cowfold Reviews

It must be happy bunny week. The repalcement for my 240v charger has also arrived.

Now my fridge can work properly. Been a dreadful few weeks living with inadequately chilled champagne :shocked

+1 for smg comments.

What I've enjoyed the most is the communication, the guys call, email and even come on to the forum to talk personally, I've even communicated through Facebook.. never met a dealer like it.
So far so good in terms of sorting my issue out

All issues resolved very satisfactory. Wonderful customer service. If your looking for a Cali dealer that knows their stuff, communicates efficiently and listen to your needs then these guys are worth the distance.
So thanks again Chris Figg and the SMG team.

Also thanks to the parts guy Steve Mann for the VIP prices (and the wheel caps ;)) was so happy I treated the van to a few Brandrup accessories.. bread and water for the rest of the month now:bananadance

just went in to order a new cali .... " no mate you need cris e ain't ere .... dunno where e is might be back tomorrow ... I only sell wots ere .... " no hello no goodbye no details taken ... two out of ten .... it was a vw garage and it was in cowfold !

I had a similar experience to this last year.

Waited, and waited.....and waited...... staff passed me by, never said anything, then two people appeared from the black hole called customer waiting room, went to reception and started to leap up and down because they had been there for 40 minutes......

Seeing that I was in a queue I decided to toodle off elsewhere....

Eurovans in Crawley are only about ten minutes away.

thanks GJ but I don't think I can handle two v dub garages in one day ! The customer parking at omg Cowfold looked like a scrap yard .... even my dog "Womble" thought there was too much rubbish !

just went in to order a new cali .... " no mate you need cris e ain't ere .... dunno where e is might be back tomorrow ... I only sell wots ere .... " no hello no goodbye no details taken ... two out of ten .... it was a vw garage and it was in cowfold !

Phil please accept my unreserved apology, I cannot understand why you were dealt with in this fashion, I will definitely investigate it

Please can I ask you to contact me directly so that I can apologise

Kind regards

Richard de Jong

General Manager
Southern Motor Group ( Cowfold )
Henfield Road
Cowfold
RH13 8DT

T 01403 864785

Do VW employ mystery shoppers I wonder... might help keen some of these not-interested sales folk on their toes.

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy my Cali from VW Commercial in Speke, Merseyside. I drove up to Preston and bought it there. The sales department was exceptional, very efficient, helpful and knowledgeable. They gave a good discount too.

I had a similar experience when I tried to buy my Cali from VW Commercial in Speke, Merseyside. I drove up to Preston and bought it there. The sales department was exceptional, very efficient, helpful and knowledgeable. They gave a good discount too.
Ditto experience with Speke, not interested in selling Calis or vans. Our company ended up buying Fords, and I must say they are a lot more on the ball and the vans are good too. Keep their prices too, and cheaper to buy as well. And the Ford servicing is only half a mile away!

Do VW employ mystery shoppers I wonder... might help keen some of these not-interested sales folk on their toes.
Yes they do, new and used, commercial vehicles included.

Sounds disappointing. Listers in Coventry have destroyed my view of VW dealers. They never return your calls but never have anyone available to speak to you when you do call so you always get asked to leave a message.

I only got to see my Cali because head office called to check how my query was dealt with and I when told them I had heard nothing in the two weeks since, I guess they kicked them into action.

Very attentive before the sale, utterly disinterested after the sale. Interestingly my Dad has a business account with them and gets instant call back. Customer service is dependant on who you are with Listers Cov. Im sure its just that they are busy but I genuinely hope I never have a problem because I feel I'll need to batter the door down to get a response.

Sounds disappointing. Listers in Coventry have destroyed my view of VW dealers. They never return your calls but never have anyone available to speak to you when you do call so you always get asked to leave a message.

I only got to see my Cali because head office called to check how my query was dealt with and I when told them I had heard nothing in the two weeks since, I guess they kicked them into action.

Very attentive before the sale, utterly disinterested after the sale. Interestingly my Dad has a business account with them and gets instant call back. Customer service is dependant on who you are with Listers Cov. Im sure its just that they are busy but I genuinely hope I never have a problem because I feel I'll need to batter the door down to get a response.

Mike

We went to VW Vans at Leicester a couple of weeks ago and they did us a quote for a new Cali. Mrs Snowy55 wanted some clarification on a couple of points, e mailed twice and left voicemail messages and left messages to be past on but NO response.
>>>>ing useless.
Why o why is it so difficult to spend your money with VW?

Phil please accept my unreserved apology, I cannot understand why you were dealt with in this fashion, I will definitely investigate it

Kind regards

Richard de Jong

General Manager
Henfield Road
Cowfold
RH13 8DT

T 01403 864785
You only get one chance to make a first impression.

Problem is that your not likely to be their only customer...unless their partying their likely busy with other customers who are in front of you.

But hey that's the UK for you.

A little patience ?

I have recently had new wheels and springs installed at Cowfold and I couldn't have asked for more. All the service staff were more than helpful and I had a very positive experience and so I wouldn't hesitate recommending them to others.
I think an " ello" from Van Centre is acceptable, one should perhaps expect more from say a Bentley garage!
Just my 2 pence :)

I asked for a price match from several dealers and Chris at SMG Cowfold was the first one to respond. Phone call on the Friday, demo arranged for the Monday and two and a half hours later order placed. Simples!
Maybe you do need to make a specific appointment with the Cali man there.

We got our Cali from Rob at VWCampersales in Burgess Hill and he was very helpful both before and after the sale. I definitely recommend them!

Last edited:
Similar sort of thing happened to me and when we did pick up our long awaited beauty we were hemmed in amid what felt like a commercial car parking lot and the handover was superficial missing out vital stuff like fuse switches left off and leisure battery needing charging after four days use ................

Last edited:
Sounds like Cardiff - Andy is a really nice guy but this place is a total shambles and I wished I had gone to Bristol or Hereford - similar sort of thing happened to me and when we did pick our long awaited beauty we were hemmed in amid what felt like a commercial car parking lot and the handover was superficial missing out vital stuff like fuse switches left off and leisure battery needing charging after four days use ................
Agree. Cardiff is the Pits.
That's why I travel 70 miles and have a day out in Hereford.

Sounds like Cardiff - Andy is a really nice guy but this place is a total shambles and I wished I had gone to Bristol or Hereford - similar sort of thing happened to me and when we did pick up our long awaited beauty we were hemmed in amid what felt like a commercial car parking lot and the handover was superficial missing out vital stuff like fuse switches left off and leisure battery needing charging after four days use ................
Wow that was luxury compared to my handover... the guy was very nice but knew nothing about camping in a Cali...

Last edited:
Sounds like Cardiff - Andy is a really nice guy but this place is a total shambles and I wished I had gone to Bristol or Hereford - similar sort of thing happened to me and when we did pick up our long awaited beauty we were hemmed in amid what felt like a commercial car parking lot and the handover was superficial missing out vital stuff like fuse switches left off and leisure battery needing charging after four days use ................
Some months ago I rang Cardiff and enquired about a new T5 Cali they were advertising. The salesman couldn't have been more disinterested in my call. When I asked about discount he said they wouldn't offer any!

Some months ago I rang Cardiff and enquired about a new T5 Cali they were advertising. The salesman couldn't have been more disinterested in my call. When I asked about discount he said they wouldn't offer any!
i think
i have a theory that vw salespeople don't won't to sell California's so they can use them at the weekends !! ;)

Kind regards

Richard de Jong

General Manager
Henfield Road
Cowfold
RH13 8DT

T 01403 864785
thank you for the offer but no apology needed . If someone had taken my number you could have called me back and sold me a cali .
all the best phill x

Back