Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar panels from Solar Camper Solutions

Just want to say a ‘very big thank you‘ to Roger Donoghue. We ordered a solar panel kit from him recently. His instructions on how to fit them are very clear. Also when we were having problems connecting, he promptly sent us very detailed information on how to solve the problem. I wouldn’t hesitate ordering from him again. Thanks very much.:thumb
I would also like say a massive thank you to @Roger Donoghue. Am based in Spain and it's tricky to get a good fit for a T6 like Roger's kits and he had the panels shipped out to me very swiftly. When I recently had an issue with a part over a year later, he sent out a replacement immediately. Excellent service! Kudos!!

Fitting Rogers kit. Got the mppt 75 1 15 quth Bluetooth. Anyone jnoow what position this bridging pin should be in. I pulled it off not knowing what it was. Do I need it? It fits where the Bluetooth dongle would have gone

20230418_120506.jpg

I am away at the moment, so can’t check on my van…but don’t think it’s required as lower voltage limit is controlled by the phone app if the jumper pin is removed; using the jumper pin just presets lower limits on the unit itself (see below), should you not want to use the phone app:

@Roger Donoghue should be able to confirm

You can put it aside. It's for setting the charging profile for the load terminal use if you don't have Bluetooth access.

It's a bit fiddly but the connector can fit in the roof channel.
yes. i tried to get it in there but gave up. you need to somehow slide in the t bolt over the cable. i decided to leave it free so i could slide it about for washing etc

Evening all.
I recently had a pair of solar panels fitted by Roger.Even though i would have been able to install them myself im so glad i went to Roger.He did a fantastic professional job. the 1 and a half hours i spent there was an absolute pleasure.He is a very knowledgeable and interest man i came away knowing more about life and solar panels than i could ever imagine.

Does anyone’s coiled lead from panel vibrate against roof at 65/70 mph on motorway?

Roger also fitted mine and cable tied (the cable) twice at the rearmost bracket. The only reason I can say that is I have just added a second panel for an extended trip to Scotland.
This will stop the pressure on the connector, will keep rain off of it (and might help with vibrations).
A great piece of kit & evolved design - thanks Roger!

Yes, its important that the curly cable straight ends/tails are installed correctly. At the panel end it goes along the panel arm, with the connector put in the channel under the panel. You would be best to put your heli tape under where the connector lives. The curly cable doesn't mark the roof where it goes over the back of the roof.

Mounting it this way means there isn't strain on the connector, and, the curly cable is kept under the correct tension so it can't flap.

The other end of the curly cable goes to the boot hinge, with all of the straight section going inside the van.

curly fitting.jpg

Does anyone’s coiled lead from panel vibrate against roof at 65/70 mph on motorway?
Not noticed that but it will make a noise on the roof in high winds when parked up.
I have added helicopter tape under the curly cable.

This thread is an education for someone very interested in avoiding the increasing EHU site fees. Thanks to all the contributors and I must say I'll be straight down to see Roger once I have the Cali

This thread is an education for someone very interested in avoiding the increasing EHU site fees. Thanks to all the contributors and I must say I'll be straight down to see Roger once I have the Cali
thats why i did it. but increasingly annoying is when they say 'ehu is included' not giving you the option. c and m club are good at that

Not noticed that but it will make a noise on the roof in high winds when parked up.
I have added helicopter tape under the curly cable.

They'd be very high winds! 10 years in now and no one has reported any noise, static or moving :)

Its a heavy old cable.

20230418_134504.jpg
Nice to see the Carling ready to ease the tension in your wires

Back