Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some Sad News

smgcowfold said:
Unless something has changed, you can take your vehicle to be repaired wherever you like no matter what your insurance company say. The main reason I would assume is becuase they will already have agreed labour rates and discounts on parts already set-up with those suppliers.

cheers

Yes, thats how I see it as well :clap

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
smgcowfold said:
Unless something has changed, you can take your vehicle to be repaired wherever you like no matter what your insurance company say. The main reason I would assume is becuase they will already have agreed labour rates and discounts on parts already set-up with those suppliers.

cheers

Yes, thats how I see it as well :clap

After a discusion with Partner Custard - I have today told Direct Line that i want a like for like replacement. Spoke to the car repair place, understandably not going to be done this side of Xmas. We've got to be up in Yorkshire for family stuff (bit of an emergency) and to be frank, I am entitled to like for like. Thank for the advice, it was good to get another perspective.

Direct Line good - on the phone to Enterprise who will have to outsource the vehicle.

Now waiting for a call from Enterprise....

Thanks everyone

James

Due to Betty's injury - I have today been given this by the other drivers insurance company

VwCali2.jpg

Carol the Christmas Camper

WhiteCali1.jpg

Having driven Betty the Beach for so long, it's weird driving a full Cali. First Impressions. I think this is a 140 - the engine compared to the 114 BMT is much more refined and really benefits from the 6 speed box, the cabin feels much more expensive with the multivan doorcards. But the weight gain is really noticeable. Whereas Betty is quite nimble, you can really feel the difference in this which is most notable in the MPG. A couple of oddities - I have no anti slip mats in the front cabin???? And the cruise control does not come up on the dial it just shows up as a symbol on the DIS?????? Front seats feel more comfortable though that may be my imagination. The Climtronic system is also really good as are the heated seats and the 310 sat nav is much better than expected.

Plus... The rental company left a 'Hot Chip' CD in the stereo, so I shall be checking out the sounds of Hot Chip for a while.

Spec - Climtronic - silver awning - 310 sat nav, parking sensors front and rear - heated seats (nice) - no xenons....

Nice one! You can tell if it is 140 by only the "I" of TDI on the back being red. The 180 has a red "D" and "I".

Custard said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
You'd have a choice of all the VWs and the ED25 isn't booked till NYE......

Oli lol - thanks for that - that makes me feel better :) ....

Sadly i needed a car on the Monday after the accident on Saturday :)

Thank you though

James

Send the Joke back then!! Tell them it's no longer suitable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stu said:
Custard said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

Thank you though

James

Stu

All done - well it goes back tomorrow - but vehicles swapped.

Miss the Beach though. :)

James

Custard said:
Stu said:
Custard said:
BMVS-Camper-Hire said:

Thank you though

James

Stu

All done - well it goes back tomorrow - but vehicles swapped.

Miss the Beach though. :)

James

What you got now?

Sorry mate, a great shock no doubt BUT the van can be put together as long as people are ok....

debarros said:
Sorry mate, a great shock no doubt BUT the van can be put together as long as people are ok....

Yeah we are okay - thanks though :)

Living the world of a full fat Cali now - well for a few weeks.

:)

James

Custard said:

James

Should we expect to see a Yellow Beach, one careful owner for sale post sometime soon? :laugh2

One of Oli's??

Stu said:
Custard said:

James

Should we expect to see a Yellow Beach, one careful owner for sale post sometime soon? :laugh2

One of Oli's??

Stu

No lol - I do miss the Beach - the only two things I really like on this van are the Climtronic and the Parking Heater - both of which can be had on the Beach and I already knew I'd like those.

Actually I like the 310 Sat Nav that's a great unit - what's great is the integration - the directions on the DIS - the climate controls and parking sensors on the screen. I have said though, as much as I like the Kenwood, if I had the chance, I would have a VW unit.

You can really feel the weight difference - the majority of my driving is around town or short journeys for work and you feel the difference. Don't get me wrong - the refinement is much more than my humble Beach. But you feel the weight and I am finding I have to work the van around town. It's got a lovely engine and the six speed gearbox is superb (it should be in the Beach BMT) but there is a marked dropped in economy and it is not as nimble.

I also understand why full fat Cali owners look to lower their vehicles - the extra weight seems to give it extra bounce.

Lovely vehicle but far more than I need, though great to have the experience for a few weeks. On a personal level and given that I have only had this for a few days if I had a choice I would have the 180.

Amazing vehicle but for the majority of my driving and use, the Beach is perfect for me. It also has the multivan feel which I so enjoy.,

Oh and I like it in white, though I understand i may in the minority on this ;)

James

Looks like they did an excellent job as usual. Did you see some of the other vehicles they have worked on?

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Looks like they did an excellent job as usual. Did you see some of the other vehicles they have worked on?

cheers

Alex

Not as such but there were some lovely cars there - a couple of the new McClarens - the service was really really good, thanks for putting me in touch with them.

James

Looks good James & nice & clean which is rarity at this time of year. Just realized today how dirty my Cali is !!

Looks great!

Just had the car mended ( :headbang :headbang ) and got a couple of extra bits done; full machine polish, a couple of scuffs and dents done. Looks really good now.

I'm REALLY hoping the missus won't crash any more this year but both times it's ended up a bit better than before !! :doh :doh

KernowLad said:
Looks great!

Just had the car mended ( :headbang :headbang ) and got a couple of extra bits done; full machine polish, a couple of scuffs and dents done. Looks really good now.

I'm REALLY hoping the missus won't crash any more this year but both times it's ended up a bit better than before !! :doh :doh

That would be good :)

Yep all mended and clean (only for a while Andy). I drove straight to Choplee's after and we fitted the new rear lights, it was lovely to be driving her again.

When I had the accident the sliding door actually closed too easily, they repaired it so it's just like it was, that is, the sliding door needs a bit of a shove sometimes :) Perfect, remember no, powered latching on the Beach as standard.

Thanks for the replies :)

James

James,

I came accross this thread and really enjoyed reading that other people love their vans as much as I do. It was great to see the final pictures of Betty all back together. I am now really looking forward to the May meet so I can chat to even more like minded people!

Roz

Rozzie50 said:
James,

I came accross this thread and really enjoyed reading that other people love their vans as much as I do. It was great to see the final pictures of Betty all back together. I am now really looking forward to the May meet so I can chat to even more like minded people!

Roz

Roz.

I was thinking about this the other day. It's just metal and 4 wheels but it just puts such a smile on your face. There's personality in these vans and I never not enoy being in the van. I used to have an older T25 multivan and I miss the retro feel but these modern vans I am sure will be classic.

Thank you for the comments. I've got very used to Betty over the last year :). And yes, will be good to catch at cotf. :)

James