Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Some Sad News

Really sorry to hear this; considering what happened, the damage doesn't look much worse than when my missus clipped a low wall! Amazing van strength!

Hope sorting it isn't too much of a pain.

So Betty in hospital now that is sad :-( , but least you have the Nissan duke to cheer you up James while the surgeons work their magic on her :)

choplee said:
So Betty in hospital now that is sad :-( , but least you have the Nissan duke to cheer you up James while the surgeons work their magic on her :)

My top tip - don't own a Nissan Juke.

I am grateful for a courtesy car - it's comfortable and the MPG is good - sadly not much else impresses me - but it's a set of wheels :)

Hard to give up the Cali and that feelgood factor.

James

Mate really sorry to hear the news, that's not special at all.

You should ask the insurance co to get you another Van, you should get like for like. They could hire an SE or 'Velle from Olli if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using TapaTalkHD

Stu said:
Mate really sorry to hear the news, that's not special at all.

You should ask the insurance co to get you another Van, you should get like for like. They could hire an SE or 'Velle from Olli if necessary.

Sent from my iPad using TapaTalkHD

I know Stu and thanks

The problem is because of my job (social worker) I am mobile all the time. When we got down to the bodyshop today for the assessment - it was clear the wheel is bent. If it was just me driving round town, I'd take it or get it knocked back. But because of my job and because I needed a car today, I took the Juke. Had I really noticed over the weekend that the wheel is bent I would have pushed for more.

Really after the shock, just wanted it to be sorted - I dealt directly with the other drivers' insurance company.

Appreciate the advice though :)

James

Thank Gawd the xenons weren't damaged... ;)

James,

Sorry to hear about this.

Key thing is that you weren't injured and at least it seems the repair and liability are sorted out.

Simon & Eleanor

shambly said:
James,

Sorry to hear about this.

Key thing is that you weren't injured and at least it seems the repair and liability are sorted out.

Simon & Eleanor

Thanks Simon

Yes - her insurance company were very good. Dropped it off today they reckon about two weeks. Might seem greedy but I've had to take nearly two days off work and travel down to Kent with the van so i will be claiming those expenses.

And that is the key thing :) no one hurt :)

Thanks.

James :)

Random question James - am I on some sort of ignore list?

KernowLad said:

No lol.

I just don't reply to everyone because it gets boring for those reading it. I have a put of couple of thank you posts in this thread and if someone comments who has t commented before I acknowledge.

I like to think I'm quite witty (this is a very personal opinion) I just didn't have time to reply to your post.

It's been a long last few days...

Sorry of you felt you were being ignored that wasn't my intention.

James

No problem, I was just worried I might have upset you or something!

Wonder if your side bars helped at all? Maybe the impact is a bit high?

KernowLad said:

I didn't get a reply back about James crash on my first post I think it was ,but it wouldn't have crossed my mind that I was on an ignore list of any kind otherwise I would have pm'd him to see if the Cali bond was ok between us ..:)

KernowLad said:
No problem, I was just worried I might have upset you or something!

Wonder if your side bars helped at all? Maybe the impact is a bit high?

No - side bar trashed - she hit quite high which was good in the sense that damage was panel damage. Any lower and bad chassis damage almost a certainty.

I initially thought she was waiting to turn right - panicked and went. But looking at the van it's clear she just turned right without stopping.

The expense is the new panel work and the spray job. I know you always feel that things are worse than they are but it felt like the van was going to tip

James

choplee said:
KernowLad said:

I didn't get a reply back about James crash on my first post I think it was ,but it wouldn't have crossed my mind that I was on an ignore list of any kind otherwise I would have pm'd him to see if the Cali bond was ok between us ..:)

Lee

You are part of the Bergfather fraternity. It's all unspoken :)

James

Really sorry to hear this James glad it is all being sorted out.

Buttons hopes betty gets well soon :sad

G & H

James,

Add me to the list of people offering condolences. I hope you don't have issues with insurance afterwards. I have found that they can be absolute buggers, when it comes to increasing premiums, even though an accident wasn't your fault. My (old) car got hit by a minibus in a carpark, whilst I wasn't there. I got 100% of the money claimed back from the 3rd party. My wifes insurance company put her insurance up by £50 because I was a named driver & apparently having your car hit in a car park whilst you are not there, makes you a higher risk!

Hope the Beach is fixed for you soon.

Chris

Thanks Gary - that was very nice, looking forward to seeing Buttons in May :)

Chris - I know, I've been in that position before, hence why I would never ever use Tesco's car insurance again.

At present Betty is at the body shop - I selected my own, with Alex's advice. I thought it best to make use of the support we have on the forum. This does mean things will take a bit longer but I am keen to get it done properly.

I miss driving her - I spend a lot of time driving in my job and it's great, so much space etc.

Thanks again for all the kind words.

I have just ordered a set of sportline rear lights which will be going on when she's back.

James

Glad everyone OK. Just had our van returned after accident and it is looking great. Our major hassle was AXA insurance which we took out through The Caravan Club. It took AXA a lot of persuading to use a VW approved body shop. The one they chose finally did a good job but ordered wrong parts plus other muddles. Being able to use a body shop OK'd by SMG will we hope take away the major hassles; we tried but AXA wouldn’t buy it. All the very best to you all and a speedy recovery to Betty.

Custard said:
choplee said:

I am grateful for a courtesy car - it's comfortable and the MPG is good - sadly not much else impresses me - but it's a set of wheels :)

James

You could hire a California, and her insurance would have to pay for it on a like for like basis :thumb

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
Custard said:
choplee said:

James

You could hire a California, and her insurance would have to pay for it on a like for like basis :thumb

Hi Oli

I know, and you have already been mentioned, and i know I had a legal entitlement. Maybe I was a bit soft, I needed a car quick for work and it would have been difficult for me to wait whilst the insurance company sorted everything.

You always say,pop in for a cup of tea if you are passing and it would have been lovely to finally get that cup of tea :)

Plus... Maybe I could have had a nice Ed25?????

Believe me I am not enjoying the Nissan Juke (Joke). It's poorly built and fuel economy is woeful which is not surprising as the diesel engine sounds strangled.

Thanks though :)

James

Celia and Edward said:
Glad everyone OK. Just had our van returned after accident and it is looking great. Our major hassle was AXA insurance which we took out through The Caravan Club. It took AXA a lot of persuading to use a VW approved body shop. The one they chose finally did a good job but ordered wrong parts plus other muddles. Being able to use a body shop OK'd by SMG will we hope take away the major hassles; we tried but AXA wouldn’t buy it. All the very best to you all and a speedy recovery to Betty.

Hi Edward

Thank you - I was lucky the other dirver's insurance (Direct Line) were happy for me to use another bodyshop. That said, it's probably slowed work down by at least a week but it is VW approved and so far the customer service has been great.

I am a bit nervous about seeing it again, will it ever look as good etc etc, silly, I know but you worry. Can't see it being ready before the New Year though but that's fine :)

James

You'd have a choice of all the VWs and the ED25 isn't booked till NYE......

BMVS-Camper-Hire said:
You'd have a choice of all the VWs and the ED25 isn't booked till NYE......

Oli lol - thanks for that - that makes me feel better :) ....

Sadly i needed a car on the Monday after the accident on Saturday :)

Thank you though

James

Unless something has changed, you can take your vehicle to be repaired wherever you like no matter what your insurance company say. The main reason I would assume is becuase they will already have agreed labour rates and discounts on parts already set-up with those suppliers.

cheers