Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Speed cameras

It appears the EU have decided all new cars from 2020 will be fitted with speed control over GPS. does that mean speed cameras will be redundant or tracking via GPS will allow road pricing. I never trust something that appears to be based on safety and can then allow other hidden costs.
As the driver will be able to override the speed limiter, speed cameras will still be around. Road pricing sounds like a good idea to me if it replaced road tax.

As the driver will be able to override the speed limiter, speed cameras will still be around. Road pricing sounds like a good idea to me if it replaced road tax.
Having been involved in a project regarding forward planning into possible road pricing I would mention that the government had intended that vehicle excise duty would still be required and road toll would be additional. The costs looked at varied depending on location, time of day and traffic volumes. No matter how you looked at it the motorist was seen as an easy revenue source and nothing to do with road safety.

Having been involved in a project regarding forward planning into possible road pricing I would mention that the government had intended that vehicle excise duty would still be required and road toll would be additional. The costs looked at varied depending on location, time of day and traffic volumes. No matter how you looked at it the motorist was seen as an easy revenue source and nothing to do with road safety.

The motorist in this country always as being a money making revenue machine for the government and always will be :mad:

112 average @GrannyJen wow what a little speed demon you were. There’s me thinking you were. Goody two shoes lol.

I was in a serious, very threatening, situation involving three blokes who I'm sure were well pissed. This was at J13 services on the M4.

Someone had called the police who simply did not turn up. I managed to get to my car, with difficulty as they were trying to block the exit, and set off for the M4 and floored it, with, I am sure, one of them at least following and driving under the influence if so. 3 minutes later and there seemed to be police everywhere, nicking me :sad

I was in a serious, very threatening, situation involving three blokes who I'm sure were well pissed. This was at J13 services on the M4.

Someone had called the police who simply did not turn up. I managed to get to my car, with difficulty as they were trying to block the exit, and set off for the M4 and floored it, with, I am sure, one of them at least following and driving under the influence if so. 3 minutes later and there seemed to be police everywhere, nicking me :sad

That’s sounds terrible and the speed was understandable given the circumstances.
I was involved in an similar incident around the time of the Range Rover shootings in Essex - I was chased by 3 older chaps is RR and blocked in very scary.

I was involved in an similar incident around the time of the Range Rover shootings in Essex - I was chased by 3 older chaps is RR and blocked in very scary.
Nope..... I haven't got a clue what those words mean.

Nope..... I haven't got a clue what those words mean.

It means that someone was involved in a piece of thuggery, normally drug related, and in the midst of a showdown just had to get their arse out of hell. Innocent people do get involved in this kind of thing.

One of the pieces of bling that I have relate to that. Just quietly minding my own business worshipping however I see fit when some people burst through the door waving machetes and hacking at people. It is quite alarming.

In relation to motorway signage, one maddening aspect here is that the local sign often doesn't reflect actual conditions - warnings of low visibility when all is completely clear, and the message remaining for hours, the same for supposed road closures with signs providing misinformation long after the event ....
There seems to be no idea of the fact that inaccurate information only serves to discredit all of the information, even when it is accurate
On another note, locally on the rear of a bus there are adverts by DfI / DoE that read something like this ..... "Don't think you aren't driving dangerously just because you are keeping the speed limit" .... but while that statement is unquestionably true, the opposite is equally true, though dismissed out of hand by local police forces ... "Don't think you are driving dangerously just because you aren't keeping the speed limit"

Back