Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Straw pole - how long do you get between services?

CaliGreg

CaliGreg

Go on then, anyone with a 2.0 140 or 180 - how many miles did you get before it was due for a 'variable' service?

I know it's 'up to 2 years or 20,000 miles' and depends on driving style, oil temps, etc. etc. but what is typical in the Cali world?

CaliGreg said:
Go on then, anyone with a 2.0 140 or 180 - how many miles did you get before it was due for a 'variable' service?

I know it's 'up to 2 years or 20,000 miles' and depends on driving style, oil temps, etc. etc. but what is typical in the Cali world?

Just had my first at 13000 miles :)

James

I'd done 21,000 when it had it's 2 year service.

Haven't got there yet but at 5000 miles up the variable service is saying I've got another 20k to go!

For me 2 years will come up quicker I think.

SMG did my 2 year service a little early for me as I was in the local area visiting a supplier. We are doing about 6k/year.

So low annual mileage vans are getting done at 2 years & high annual mileage will be getting done at 20k miles or less depending on driving conditions.

Mine will be at two years with around 18k in late May.

GP vans are going up to 25,000 miles or two years before service. If vehicles are purchased with VWFS (for example) and have two free services then these are being done on a time/distance basis rather than longlife. So James needs to come back in 10,000 miles time for his next service.

We do have a majority of our camper customers have an annual service regardless of the service interval for peace of mind so that they know everything is ok before going away on trips.

cheers

First Service done/cple warranty issues

First servive done, SMG Tonbridge.
£200 at 19,500 miles/2 yrs
Needs 2 new front tyres, brakes pads, wiper blades - all expected.

Cple roof bed springs being replaced under warranty and right front drive shaft corroding!! :eek:

Booked in at end of month!!

Paul

PaulS. said:
First servive done, SMG Tonbridge.
£200 at 19,500 miles/2 yrs
Needs 2 new front tyres, brakes pads, wiper blades - all expected.

Cple roof bed springs being replaced under warranty and right front drive shaft corroding!! :eek:

Booked in at end of month!!

Paul
might be a bit surprised at needing brake pads at 18k. Then again it's down to personal driving style

Interesting. My van was bought with a service plan so my services are yearly. Just last week it had a major service and a free healthcheck. My brake pads have 8 mm thickness all round
According to vw that's 30% wear my van has done 24k My tyres are a year old in sept
They have NSF 5mm. Osf 6mm. Nsr 6mm osr 7mm they are hankooks and have done 6,000
Miles.

Mine's come with a free service plan ,but it's not yearly ....or is it .? :bananadance

This discussion reminded me of a discussion I had with the dealer after my 2yr service. I pay for the monthly service plan and they won't so that until the computer says so. They indicated that this would be in another 2 yrs approx. however the book does say 3 yrs even for variable services.

Anybody with a 3yr + Cali on variable service know wether the computer called them in at 3yrs?

When we bought our new Cali November 2012 the dealer advised we were on 2 year long life service interval. However the service message has just come up on the dash display and on checking the service sticker in the drivers side door pillar that says 12 months service interval.

I've contacted my dealer who says 2 years is fine, but I'm not convinced. They've advised I can bring the Cali in and they will reset the dash display.

I'm going to drop in and ask them for a letter confirming 2 years, and to change the sticker on the door pillar as I don't want to get caught out or have any future problems with service intervals.

Anyone else had this issue?

Similar issue. Last Jan I bought my (used) Cali from Citygate Collindale. The service book had it as being last serviced in Oct 2012 and Citygate so they told me, serviced it before the handover (of sorts but that's another story).
Last month the service indicator came on which would have been 12 mths (and ~7000 miles) after the service shown in the book. I queried with my local dealer Breeze Southampton if a service was needed and was told the same as you, no just pop in and we will reset the indicator.
When i did pop in was then told they couldn't /wouldn't reset the display as it wasn't them that had done the previous service and only Citygate could reset it.
As I am paying for a monthly service plan anyway I just got the probably unnecessary service done and a faulty side door locking motor changed at the same time.
Is the dealer you bought the Cali from the same one who is saying they can reset? If not might be worth checking and saving a journey.

beardie said:
This discussion reminded me of a discussion I had with the dealer after my 2yr service. I pay for the monthly service plan and they won't so that until the computer says so. They indicated that this would be in another 2 yrs approx. however the book does say 3 yrs even for variable services.

Anybody with a 3yr + Cali on variable service know wether the computer called them in at 3yrs?

It won't call you in at three years old if you have had a service at 2 years old for instance. Brake fluid change and Inspection service due at three years old.

cheers

Upon purchase of a 5 month old Cali, with 50 miles on the clock, I was told it would need its first service in Dec 2013, as it would be 1 year old. The van has now done 8,000 miles and I was just about to call my local dealer (Breeze) to book it in. The buying dealer has also just sent me an e-mail inviting me to book it in for the first service. I should look in the manual, but is a 2 year service normal? not even an oil change at 12 months?

So if I am on a vw service plan how do I get the break fluid etc changed at 3yrs? Or are you saying you have to wait for the service at 4 yrs old?

It depends on the individual service plan. We can make ours suit the customers needs individually. For example, our service plan will include everything required, but we set specific dates for things that are needed on a time rather than mileage basis like brake fluid change and MOT. I would speak to them and ask if you can bring the brake fluid change forward when the MOT is done.

cheers

Evening Alex

Our new Beach is on long life service plan Q18 which says 2 years or 20,000 then every year after??

Been offered service plan only looking at service and not maintenance BUT based on 15,000 a year would I get 2 services in 3 years or plan not worth it as would be an expensive first service... :thanks

Cheers

Shaun

Hi Shaun,

Who is the service plan with? We can make a service plan for customers for any service interval that suits them. Is it an interim and full service in that plan?

cheers

smgcowfold said:
Hi Shaun,

Who is the service plan with? We can make a service plan for customers for any service interval that suits them. Is it an interim and full service in that plan?

cheers

Morning Alex

Citygate, Not sure just offered service/Service,maintaince/or service,maintaince,tyres. just thought it would cover servicing that was needed in the three years without extras ie bulbs, blades...

Thanks

Shaun

If you could find out some more information then that would be helpful.

If you fancy coming up to us we can do a tailor made inflation proof service plan for you if that would be of interest?

Cheers

smgcowfold said:
If you could find out some more information then that would be helpful.

If you fancy coming up to us we can do a tailor made inflation proof service plan for you if that would be of interest?

Cheers

I'm going to use Breeze just because there local and my work vans have been going there for 6 years there there not a bad bunch... :D

Just trying to gauge if it's worth it but if i only need one service in 3 years then wouldn't be worth it... Would only be about £60 cheaper over 2 services at to days prices.

Just don't want to sign up and end up having a expensive service...

Thanks for the replys

Shaun

No worries. Always here for the servicing and repairs if you get stuck for the California and work vans.

cheers

Back