Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket fuel for 4 years and runs like dream

CaliforniaBen

CaliforniaBen

VIP Member
Just got four years on my Cali and 55k miles and 95% of fill ups has always been using supermarket fuel, Asda to be exact and it's normally around 5p per litre cheaper where I live.

In those 4 years I have never had a problem and MPG has never been better.

Is this supermarket fuel myth something put out there by the big petrol companies ?

Fingers crossed. I for one wouldn't use supermarket fuel. The main reason being that I've done a few petrol filling stations and I'm not aware of any of them being refurbished. The petrol stations were constructed by a general contractor and some of the tanks, underground pipework (which is extensive) are approaching 30years old....... (life span?)

My local Shell garages have been refurbished three times in the last 20years.

You pay your money you take your choice.

Plus I'm happy that Shell now offset my fuel so its carbon neutral. "Ever a little bit helps":thumb

I always refuel at the station with the lowest price in the neighbourhood. Never had any problems after more than 19 years with 4 different cars.
In France I always get my fuel at super markets, as they deliver the best price. No real need to worry about bad fuel, as they circulate enough. The only problem you could encounter, and that is possible even at big brands, is that the delivery guy gets the wrong fuel in the (wrong) right? tank, forget to close the lid of the filling tube, to let rain in the tank, or when there was some kind of flooding, that filled up the tank with water and mud. Apart from that, every type of fuel must meet the highest standards, at least here in Western Europe, so, touching wood, normally the fuel is just the same. It all comes from under the surface of the earth, and was formed by dead organisms a couple of million years ago...

5p x 60 litres = £3; 15 refuels per year = £45.

If it's convenient for me I'll buy supermarket fuel, but I won't go far out of my way for 5p/L.

However, what I do I refuel with premium diesel about once every 8-12 refuels. To remind myself I do this the first refuel after filling up with AdBlue.

Plus I'm happy that Shell now offset my fuel so its carbon neutral. "Ever a little bit helps":thumb

Given a supermarket charges (in our area) about 5p+ less per litre than Shell. If you bought it from the supermarket and gave the saving to offset your carbon footprint it would be considerably more than Shell is giving.

Like I said. Pay your money take your choice. Asda in Chandlers Ford is cheap!

Google is your friend. Plenty of horror stories around, more so with supermarket fuel, less so with premium suppliers.

My 2008 2.5tdi T5 had an issue at 3.5 years old with less than 40k miles.
Volkswagen wanted £7.5k to replace the engine and blamed it completely on supermarket fuel...

Needless to say, I’ve never used the stuff since, unless desperate.

It’s cheap for a reason. It goes in the missus golf but shell only in the bus.
I don’t fancy putting a new DPF filter on it at 60k

Google is your friend. Plenty of horror stories around, more so with supermarket fuel, less so with premium suppliers.

This has been dicisussed a lot on here , some swear by a premium brand others don't .
I might be thru that cheaper fuel is not that good as premium but for me in 65.000km topping up in over 12 diffrent countries at various pumps mostly taking the cheapest or the most convenient pump that comes allong never had an issue.

I know of several people affected by dirty old tanks at a Tesco station over a few years.

I tend to fill up wherever I can, lots of petrol stations have closed where I live. Tesco is the only one in town now.

I do notice the premium diesel when I fill my golf up with it. It feels smoother and more powerful, but it could be subjective! I put a tank of premium in every once in a while and then think ouch that’s pricey!

My golf diesel 80k and 90% supermarket fill ups runs sweet as a nut. Regular servicing and never thrash it cold, make sure it gets a good burn up every now and then. No issues whatsoever so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not that we swear by premium fuels but we prefer to pay a little more for something that is a key component of a vehicle. Whilst I appreciate that fuel meets the requirements of the British Standard, my first response is regarding how that fuel is stored and it's equipment within the PFS.

A petrol filling station is like an iceberg. It's all happens underneath the surface.

It's not that we swear by premium fuels but we prefer to pay a little more for something that is a key component of a vehicle. Whilst I appreciate that fuel meets the requirements of the British Standard, my first response is regarding how that fuel is stored and it's equipment within the PFS.

A petrol filling station is like an iceberg. It's all happens underneath the surface.
Tesco did some of the best high octane petrol in the days when I had my Scooby WR1

Now I am ‘forced’ to use supermarket fuel by my company’s fuel card provider who monitors cost and who, by the way, thinks my 204 3 ton Ocean should average 44 mpg!

I had a problem with Morrisons fuel a while back. Both my wife and I had petrol cars at the time, and we both filled up in the same store in the same day. Next day both cars had cat emissions warning lights on the dash. Morrisons didn't want to know.

I still use supermarket fuel (mainly Sainsbury's but other stores are available!) and have not had any further problems.

I nearly always buy my fuel at motorway service stations, stands to reason the extra cost must be because it is superior stuff?

Nope. You pay a premium because of the convenience, that the station by law needs to be open 365days a year. Rent and business rates associated with that site. But mainly the convenience and captive audience.

I find it strange that people need to justify their purchases and feel the need to be critical to those who chose to pay a little more for a key item associated with the running of the vehicle. I go back to my previous remark. You pay your money you take your choice. I'm happy with Shell. You're happy with Supermarket Fuel. I'm not being critical of Supermarket fuel.

So on this topic, we had responses relative to issues with Supermarket fuel and the superior nature of Supermarket fuel. I bet the OP wouldn't have posted if he had a problem with Supermarket fuel.

My 2008 2.5tdi T5 had an issue at 3.5 years old with less than 40k miles.
Volkswagen wanted £7.5k to replace the engine and blamed it completely on supermarket fuel...

Needless to say, I’ve never used the stuff since, unless desperate.
I'd be inclined to blame VW's kit and practice rather than the supermarket's fuel. To quote Randy-Mice Davies "They would say that wouldn't they" ;)

My business is centered around decommissioning, demolition and asbestos. From Time to time we carry out contracts for supermarkets, morrisons being the latest. Our package included the decommissioning and removal of redundant former PFS tanks.
While they are clean upon shearing open, some of theses tanks have been in the ground circa 30 years, and the fuel is stored in generally steel vessels. There are filters on the systems, however they dont screen everything out.
Here we are
1579863731964.png

During the past 18 years running T4s,T5s and a T6 I have consumed just over 51,000 litres of diesel 99% of which has been purchased from supermarkets both in the UK and Europe. I have never had any reason to be suspicious of any problem or performance degradation in any of the three T4s, three T5s or the T6.

The saving (at less than 5p per litre) using the cheaper suppliers of fuel over that period has saved me well in excess of £2250 so as far as I am concerned supermarkets are the places to purchase my fuel.

And yes I do keep a log of the fuel that I use in my vehicles!

Back