Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Coast withdrawn?

it's a shame for those who want a full Cali kitchen and wardrobe set up but can't/don't want to pay the extra 10K for the bells and whistles. The Coast fits really well in the Cali range and the demand appears to be there. I suppose if chips are the issue then it would make sense to drop the Coast and use them in the Ocean where you would think the highest margin is. My concern as a Coast owner is parts availability in the future but I guess between the Beach & Ocean all parts should be covered.
indeed, a pity if you just want to order a coast, but it is already the case in many countries: no coast in the program anymore.
We also had a reason to choose the coast and the price difference was a start but we knew that it would become smaller anyway since we would take quite a few options (bare in mind that the coast starts fairly rudimentary with us). For us, the manual lifting roof was the reason for choosing the coast, that and the light cabinet colour ;) . A reasonable price difference remained of course even after many options. The possibility to further decorate the basic coast (at least with us) the way you want it because of the many options, was also attractive.
What exactly is going on I don't know and every guess is as good as the next.

Coast wasn’t available in Spain when I ordered an Ocean early this year. It was the ideal fit for us - preferred the manual roof and didn’t need LED headlights etc.

The Coast is still showing on the UK VW price list that was updated just a few days ago.

2A22EB02-F2F1-4215-943B-2B305756F63C.png

I doubt it. Given that the Coast disappeared from the German market several months ago it's fair to speculate that it's not about the UK.
We already know that the T6.1 is going to be produced by Ford in a plant in Turkey starting in 2023. My guess is that they are streamlining in order to facilitate moving the Camper conversion away from Germany as well.
It’s about profit everywhere then …

The Coast is still showing on the UK VW price list that was updated just a few days ago.

View attachment 87190
Yes, but it has already disappeared in many other countries and the original poster states that he was told it will no longer be available to order. In a couple of other countries it is also still on the official Volkswagen site, such as the Netherlands. That something is going on is certain but what? Any guess is a good one. By the way, has anyone (UK) tried to order a coast in the last few days?

indeed, a pity if you just want to order a coast, but it is already the case in many countries: no coast in the program anymore.
We also had a reason to choose the coast and the price difference was a start but we knew that it would become smaller anyway since we would take quite a few options (bare in mind that the coast starts fairly rudimentary with us). For us, the manual lifting roof was the reason for choosing the coast, that and the light cabinet colour ;) . A reasonable price difference remained of course even after many options. The possibility to further decorate the basic coast (at least with us) the way you want it because of the many options, was also attractive.
What exactly is going on I don't know and every guess is as good as the next.
This was my reasoning too for going with a Coast. The 'Editions' option gave me most of the upgrades I wanted eg LED headlights, shower, LED interior lighting up and down, Pure Grey exterior paint, 17" wheels etc for a special package price. The other options I could choose ala carte like parking sensors, camera, parking heater, soft close sliding door etc. The manual roof and lighter interior colour scheme were welcome cherries on the cake. Luckily in Europe we also have the option to have Coast with a biturbo engine and AWD.

Could be about type approval. When you can theoretically buy a coast and option an electric roof, as you can with a beach surely it makes more sense to only have 2 models, beach and ocean in the range. Sure you can order an Ocean with a manual roof. I know the U.K. market is massively limited but base spec on the continent makes little sense to have a coast and an ocean when you could have a camper with options.

I understand that manufacturers have to hit a blended emissions target for models they produce so losing the coast, even only theoretically, could help VW achieve targets.

Could be about type approval. When you can theoretically buy a coast and option an electric roof, as you can with a beach surely it makes more sense to only have 2 models, beach and ocean in the range. Sure you can order an Ocean with a manual roof. I know the U.K. market is massively limited but base spec on the continent makes little sense to have a coast and an ocean when you could have a camper with options.

I understand that manufacturers have to hit a blended emissions target for models they produce so losing the coast, even only theoretically, could help VW achieve targets.

I think most people would like Ocean spec, with manual roof. Perhaps that’s Volkswagens thought too. Make the roof an option.
The problem with the Coast in the UK. It’s has a lot of spec missing, which is standard on the Ocean.

I think most people would like Ocean spec, with manual roof. Perhaps that’s Volkswagens thought too. Make the roof an option.
The problem with the Coast in the UK. It’s has a lot of spec missing, which is standard on the Ocean.
The difference in spec is expected though, there is after all a £10,000 price difference.

Could be, certainly the manual roof as an option would be appreciated by many. But it has turned out that there is a very large group who do not want these specs (or not all) and certainly not the electro-hydraulic roof. For me, the ocean is a ready-made product where you choose the colour and you're done. And very expensive too, but everyone has to decide that for themselves. I only started making plans (read saving) to buy a new california since the coast's existence. The purpose of the coast is also that you can dress it up the way you want or keep it basic. I wouldn’t describe it as the 'problem' as you put it. Keep in mind the coast in the UK had a lot more standard than ours. This is my idea and each his idea about this of course.

Can you order a ocean with a manual roof? Where?
The coast model is for those who want a little more individualism and a lower price than the full spec ocean with its high price. So the coast certainly has just as much right to exist as the others. Also: This is my idea and you don't have to go along with it of course.

Last edited:
This was my reasoning too for going with a Coast. The 'Editions' option gave me most of the upgrades I wanted eg LED headlights, shower, LED interior lighting up and down, Pure Grey exterior paint, 17" wheels etc for a special package price. The other options I could choose ala carte like parking sensors, camera, parking heater, soft close sliding door etc. The manual roof and lighter interior colour scheme were welcome cherries on the cake. Luckily in Europe we also have the option to have Coast with a biturbo engine and AWD.
This is a very nice cali you put together! I almost also opted for the edition package but for the pure grey colour: the dealer drove around with one in that colour and it hit the bull's eye. We chose ascot grey: I like it just as much as pure grey.

This is a very nice cali you put together! I almost also opted for the edition package but for the pure grey colour: the dealer drove around with one in that colour and it hit the bull's eye. We chose ascot grey: I like it just as much as pure grey.
Having seen Ascot Grey in person (albeit in the Hannover Kundencenter under artificial light) I would have given that colour the nod too. It reminds me a little of Audi's Suzuka Grey which changes shade depending on the light conditions. Unfortunately it wasn't possible to spec an Editions model with AG paint. Pure Grey is the consolation prize and will work well with a set of forged HRE satin black wheels I have sitting in the garage.

Could be, certainly the manual roof as an option would be appreciated by many. But it has turned out that there is a very large group who do not want these specs (or not all) and certainly not the electro-hydraulic roof. For me, the ocean is a ready-made product where you choose the colour and you're done. And very expensive too, but everyone has to decide that for themselves. I only started making plans (read saving) to buy a new california since the coast's existence. The purpose of the coast is also that you can dress it up the way you want or keep it basic. I wouldn’t describe it as the 'problem' as you put it. Keep in mind the coast in the UK had a lot more standard than ours. This is my idea and each his idea about this of course.

Can you order a ocean with a manual roof? Where?
The coast model is for those who want a little more individualism and a lower price than the full spec ocean with its high price. So the coast certainly has just as much right to exist as the others. Also: This is my idea and you don't have to go along with it of course.
Not sure, but I know you can still order a beach with an electric roof so why not the other way?

Not sure, but I know you can still order a beach with an electric roof so why not the other way?
Because you can't; it would be appreciated by a group of ocean buyers, though.

Because you can't; it would be appreciated by a group of ocean buyers, though.
If they withdraw the coast, it could become an option? Beach with electric roof, ocean with manual, or is that way too sensible?

there are no mechanical differences is the point I am making so withdraw the Coast for whatever reason, then the roof just becomes another option.

If they withdraw the coast, it could become an option? Beach with electric roof, ocean with manual, or is that way too sensible?

there are no mechanical differences is the point I am making so withdraw the Coast for whatever reason, then the roof just becomes another option.
Not too sensible I guess; as I said: a group would be very happy with that. Too bad the coast model would disappear so for me it could stay as it was: beach, coast and ocean.

Last edited:
Very pleased we have our Coast. Everything we need, manual roof, lighter kitchen …all good …. The only regret is I would have paid for AWD but not available here.

We love it …. thanks to Shaun Deakin TvSheffield … all great … sad it is not available any more for the future. I wouldnt have wantedva Beach and dont think we could have stretched toman Ocean ..so our timing was lucky indeed

Very pleased we have our Coast. Everything we need, manual roof, lighter kitchen …all good …. The only regret is I would have paid for AWD but not available here.

We love it …. thanks to Shaun Deakin TvSheffield … all great … sad it is not available any more for the future. I wouldnt have wantedva Beach and dont think we could have stretched toman Ocean ..so our timing was lucky indeed
Same here, we are very happy with our basic ascot Coast (with night heater). We would never pay the much higher price of the ocean, for having just the same adventures. We hope the Coast will come back.

Any news on the Coast? Still UK configurator.
Just picked ours up today and the garage said the coast has been discontinued and you can no longer order one.

I'm amazed they have removed the Coast from the line up, if I were in the market for a camper van without a bathroom I would have chosen the Coast over an Ocean all day long.

The Ocean I sold last year was a basic model but I didn't want all the bells and whistles that could be added. I just wanted a camper van, I think the camping experience in a Coast must be pretty much the same as an Ocean. It would be interesting to know how many T6.1 units VW have sold in the UK including the Beach of course but the other 2 had a head start.

Curious what makes the kitchen lighter in a Coast vs an Ocean. Apart from the colour I assume its exactly the same.
Spec was limited for UK orders, Ocean came only with dark grey units and the Coast only came with the light wood effect units...

Back