Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Coast withdrawn?

UK brochure - dated 17 January 2022 - and UK configurator no longer has California Coast, just Beach Tour/Camper and Ocean

Love my coast.
Definitely wanted a manual roof.
Didn't want the fully digital dash. (My daughter has it in her Audi and has had nothing but trouble).
Love the lighter colour kitchen. Although I would have gone for a block colour if offered.

Wouldn't have ordered an Ocean.

I’m feeling rather lucky we managed to get our order in before Christmas, also preferred the interior colour and manual roof. Aiming to keep it for many years, but I have a feeling the residuals will be excellent considering the Oceans current list price

The Coast was basically an Ocean without the auto roof and LEDs (plus a few other things like 3 zone aircon). Our 2020 UK Coast had the night heater as standard. To me the Ocean is like buying a Coast but with a super options pack for 10k. In any case the Coast gives you the 'full fat' experience.

My opinion is that its more profitable to force the customer to have that 10k super options pack if you want to go 'full fat' i.e. a kitchen. That, and a scaling back in production because of chip shortages make it very understandable why VW pulled the Coast.

I do wonder what impact it will have on Coast residuals. I thought it would be positive. OTOH a 2020 Beach on ebay is on a par with a Coast in terms of second hand values - around 58k. I would have thought the Coast would be at least 5k more expensive.

In any case the Coast gives you the 'full fat' experience.
Semi skimmed?
That, and a scaling back in production because of chip shortages make it very understandable why VW pulled the Coast.
Presumably there are more chips in an Ocean, so the Coast might be simpler to complete at the moment?

I wouldn't expect residuals to change much. Prospective Coast owners want a cheap Ocean, so prices shouldn't rise due to scarcity. If you're paying more, you might as well have an Ocean. The Beach is a different vehicle though, and some must have its practicality, so its relative scarcity might push Beach values up?

The Coast was basically an Ocean without the auto roof and LEDs (plus a few other things like 3 zone aircon). Our 2020 UK Coast had the night heater as standard. To me the Ocean is like buying a Coast but with a super options pack for 10k. In any case the Coast gives you the 'full fat' experience.

My opinion is that its more profitable to force the customer to have that 10k super options pack if you want to go 'full fat' i.e. a kitchen. That, and a scaling back in production because of chip shortages make it very understandable why VW pulled the Coast.

I do wonder what impact it will have on Coast residuals. I thought it would be positive. OTOH a 2020 Beach on ebay is on a par with a Coast in terms of second hand values - around 58k. I would have thought the Coast would be at least 5k more expensive.
I was in the dealer last week

70 plate Coast £65k

I wouldn’t worry about residuals yet

17FD429A-8971-4197-BC89-D6565D467AA1.jpeg

D9A7BE95-EB68-4A46-9246-AC018A2346DA.jpeg

Semi skimmed?

Presumably there are more chips in an Ocean, so the Coast might be simpler to complete at the moment?

I wouldn't expect residuals to change much. Prospective Coast owners want a cheap Ocean, so prices shouldn't rise due to scarcity. If you're paying more, you might as well have an Ocean. The Beach is a different vehicle though, and some must have its practicality, so its relative scarcity might push Beach values up?
semi-skimmed :)

We had an Ocean for a week 'trial' before ordering a Coast. The only noticeable difference is the roof. The manual roof on the Coast is a pain in the ass IMHO, it's so much nicer when it's a push of a button. Except for that it's really the same vehicle. I agree though the Beach is more a car that you can camp in and the Ocean/Coast is a camper that you can use as a daily driver.

semi-skimmed :)

We had an Ocean for a week 'trial' before ordering a Coast. The only noticeable difference is the roof. The manual roof on the Coast is a pain in the ass IMHO, it's so much nicer when it's a push of a button. Except for that it's really the same vehicle. I agree though the Beach is more a car that you can camp in and the Ocean/Coast is a camper that you can use as a daily driver.
Toe knee Foot !
you’ve inadvertently started the age old Ocean v Beach BS with your “Semi Skimmed“ Version of both ;)

Im not worried so much as intrigued at how strong the Beach residuals are in comparison.

We got our Coast for 51k brand new 18 months ago. Crazy pricing atm - id never buy a California right now.
Dealer confirmed recently my Beach, very high spec with literally everything extra on it would be worth as much as I paid for it in 2018 !

Very High spec Beach is like finding hens teeth

Dealer confirm recently my Beach, very high spec with literally everything extra on it would be worth as much as I paid for it in 2018 !

Very High spec Beach is like finding hens teeth
the reason i was looking is because i was considering a switch from Coast to Beach (it's a daily driver and a bi-monthly camper for us so kind of makes sense) but given they are the same price, like for like, on a nearly new, it doesnt seem worth it.

I have hunted high and low to try and find out how many Coast's have been registered in the Uk but still haven't a clue. Does anyone know?

On how many left, it seems that 322 have been registered.C1D3F03D-6681-42D2-B791-DF05BCF77560.png

& only 87 Beach (edit: Campers) registered last year.

966E5410-707F-4E59-80DA-D50CCCB210D0.png

Last edited:
You have only searched for beach camper versions. There are other versions available.

You have only searched for beach camper versions. There are other versions available.
I know, thank you.
I just attached a photo of the Beach Camper registrations, couldn’t be bothered to go through any more!

• Haha
Reactions: Sad
I just had a look, see what you mean. How do you even tell them apart!

Talking a dealer today, he said VW are considering reintroducing the Coast into the UK market.

Back