Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T 6.1 Coast withdrawn?

IMHO, it's definitely about profit in the UK .. the Ocean is about £9200 more than the Coast. Additional Ocean spec costs VW a fraction of that
Don’t think it does actually. We originally looked at a Coast and then added the key spec items which an Ocean enjoys, and the options bill was eye watering! Added to that, there were a couple of features you just couldn’t get in the Coast. In the end we decided to go for an Ocean as our best option.

Don’t think it does actually. We originally looked at a Coast and then added the key spec items which an Ocean enjoys, and the options bill was eye watering! Added to that, there were a couple of features you just couldn’t get in the Coast. In the end we decided to go for an Ocean as our best option.
The thing to remember is that VW U.K. have made a decision to what an Ocean should have on it so “standard” is some marketing guys view.

Take a look at the German configurator and you will see that the Ocean as “standard” is a lot different to the U.K. “standard”. Probably the small size of the U.K. market that makes VE chose options that creates a standard model.

Which ones?
At time of us ordering, the electric roof, and internal cabinets only in brown, not grey. I know some dislike the reliability of the electric roof, I understand this, but after hiring a an Ocean a couple of times, this became a ‘must’. LED headlights were a crazy price, as was the Nav Pro dash and driving assistance pack (£750 versus £2k+ from memory). Like many Ocean owners, I guess VW did ‘a number’ on us in terms of selling up, but the memory of the price diminishes over time!!

The thing to remember is that VW U.K. have made a decision to what an Ocean should have on it so “standard” is some marketing guys view.

Take a look at the German configurator and you will see that the Ocean as “standard” is a lot different to the U.K. “standard”. Probably the small size of the U.K. market that makes VE chose options that creates a standard model.
True; eg in Belgium an ocean is a whole other (lesser) equipped vehicle. With us it really makes a difference if you choose a coast with the ‘key spec items’. The ocean here was (no more coast to order) cheaper than ‘your’ ocean witch had only a few options left.
We choose a coast with a whole lotta options (because I really didn’t want the electro-hydraulic roof but my opinion on this should not turn into a pro contra about the pop-up roof ;) ). It was still clearly a lot cheaper than the ocean (where, as said, with us quite a few options could be included).
Everyone has their own choice of course and the variety of the many calis that one encounters makes this so fascinating.
Edit: Well, I guess also there will be no more coast for the period that still has to be bridged between now and the new transporter that is made in Turkey and is a collaboration between VW en Ford. The latter will be released soon so the VW will also come and then (one year, two years?) the california on that basis. I'm curious.

Last edited:
Nie wiem jak jest w UK, ale w Polsce była wersja Edition i pokrywa ona większość różnic w wyposażeniu pomiędzy Wybrzeżem a Oceanem w znacznie niższej cenie. Był tylko elektryczny dach, który moim zdaniem jest bez sensu…, trochę ruchu przy składaniu, którego nigdy nie jest za dużo i stres związany z awarią czy obciętym namiotem zniknął. Obecnie ze względu na braki w podzespołach gama modeli została ograniczona i nie będzie już wersji Coast... przynajmniej na bazie VW T6.1.

Nie wiem jak jest w UK, ale w Polsce była wersja Edition i pokrywa ona większość różnic w wyposażeniu pomiędzy Wybrzeżem a Oceanem w znacznie niższej cenie. Był tylko elektryczny dach, który moim zdaniem jest bez sensu…, trochę ruchu przy składaniu, którego nigdy nie jest za dużo i stres związany z awarią czy obciętym namiotem zniknął. Obecnie ze względu na braki w podzespołach gama modeli została ograniczona i nie będzie już wersji Coast... przynajmniej na bazie VW T6.1.
Translateion
I do not know how it is in the UK, but in Poland there was the Edition version and it covers most of the differences in equipment between the Coast and the Ocean at a much lower price. There was only an electric roof, which in my opinion is pointless ..., a little movement when folding, which is never too much and the stress of a breakdown or a cut tent disappeared. Currently, due to shortages in components, the range of models has been limited and there will be no Coast version ... at least based on VW T6.1.

I ordered a Coast Edition which I will collect next week. After checking the Edition option the only difference between my Coast and an Ocean is the digital dash and hydraulic poptop, neither of which I wanted, and some chrome strips on the grille. I saved about 15K Euro (based on prices 2.5 years ago) going with the Coast vs an Ocean, and gained a light oak interior which I prefer.

With us, even for electronic clocks you have to pay extra in the Ocean version, they are classic as standard. But the chrome strips are free ;)

With us, even for electronic clocks you have to pay extra in the Ocean version, they are classic as standard. But the chrome strips are free ;)
How much is the upgrade?
They are standard in U.K. Oceans and to me are fantastic

I vaguely remember to being about a 1300 Euro upgrade on the Coast
Ouch, in Belgium it was -at 2020 when we ordered- about 450 euro extra for the digital instruments. I did not order them. Last week I spent a few days with a replacement car from the dealer (it was a Seat suv with digital dashboard, but Volkswagen put those instruments in all their makes and models) and I'm glad I didn't choose it: some things are unreadable to me (I drive not with my reading glasses on :D).

Last edited:
This is how manufacturers decide what options and vehicles are offered in which markets.

Long before the vehicle starts production some generic spec levels are defined. These are created from a combination of historical knowledge and predicted demand. These vehicle configurations are important as they form the basis for the profitability of the model over its lifetime - every manufacturer has a target ROI (Return On Investment) for the models it makes. There are ROI targets for options too. Then the engineering and design departments create designs and configurations which fulfill the ROI targets. We end up with a set of "base" vehicles and a pile of configurable options, some are market specific, some are legal requirements etc. and not visible to the customer, some are options that can be chosen by the customer.

From all these options we tailor the offer for the markets and their local requirements. Some markets have customers who want to configure everything and are prepared to wait (e.g. Germany where the configuration can be fiendishly complex.) and some markets have customers who want to drive a ready built car off the forecourt (e.g. USA where the majority of vehicles are ordered by dealers for stock and loaded with options). There are also markets where the customers don't want to be overwhelmed with choice or where the manufacturer wants to limit the available option combinations (RHD markets like the UK for example). In these markets options are often bundled into packets or reduced as the market is small and a built vehicle can not be readily sold into another market. RHD markets are usually constrained or bundled for this reason.

After all this is done and the predictions of take rates for options and models is completed the component suppliers are contracted to provide an agreed number of components over the lifetime of the vehicle, plus a percentage of spare parts. There are also options into the contract for additional supply or a reduction of components which are used once the real-world data starts coming in when the vehicles go on sale.

When the vehicle is nearing end-of life, the offers in markets can be cut/changed to ensure all the contracted parts from suppliers are bought in the volumes agreed - which is why special editions appear, or options end up bundled together - or even withdrawn. It is to do with balancing the contracts with parts suppliers. Sometimes models are even chopped from the line-up or removed from specific markets - but it is all to do with balancing the books and the supplier contracts to phase the vehicle out as cost-effectively as possible.

It could be for example that VW have bought all the manual roofs they contracted, but still have an outstanding quota of electric roofs to get rid of - hence models with manual roof might get dropped entirely. The only people who know really know why are the VW product planners.

This is how manufacturers decide what options and vehicles are offered in which markets.

Long before the vehicle starts production some generic spec levels are defined. These are created from a combination of historical knowledge and predicted demand. These vehicle configurations are important as they form the basis for the profitability of the model over its lifetime - every manufacturer has a target ROI (Return On Investment) for the models it makes. There are ROI targets for options too. Then the engineering and design departments create designs and configurations which fulfill the ROI targets. We end up with a set of "base" vehicles and a pile of configurable options, some are market specific, some are legal requirements etc. and not visible to the customer, some are options that can be chosen by the customer.

From all these options we tailor the offer for the markets and their local requirements. Some markets have customers who want to configure everything and are prepared to wait (e.g. Germany where the configuration can be fiendishly complex.) and some markets have customers who want to drive a ready built car off the forecourt (e.g. USA where the majority of vehicles are ordered by dealers for stock and loaded with options). There are also markets where the customers don't want to be overwhelmed with choice or where the manufacturer wants to limit the available option combinations (RHD markets like the UK for example). In these markets options are often bundled into packets or reduced as the market is small and a built vehicle can not be readily sold into another market. RHD markets are usually constrained or bundled for this reason.

After all this is done and the predictions of take rates for options and models is completed the component suppliers are contracted to provide an agreed number of components over the lifetime of the vehicle, plus a percentage of spare parts. There are also options into the contract for additional supply or a reduction of components which are used once the real-world data starts coming in when the vehicles go on sale.

When the vehicle is nearing end-of life, the offers in markets can be cut/changed to ensure all the contracted parts from suppliers are bought in the volumes agreed - which is why special editions appear, or options end up bundled together - or even withdrawn. It is to do with balancing the contracts with parts suppliers. Sometimes models are even chopped from the line-up or removed from specific markets - but it is all to do with balancing the books and the supplier contracts to phase the vehicle out as cost-effectively as possible.

It could be for example that VW have bought all the manual roofs they contracted, but still have an outstanding quota of electric roofs to get rid of - hence models with manual roof might get dropped entirely. The only people who know really know why are the VW product planners.

Indeed, however, this has been the case for decades. Example: when I bought my Opel vectra A in the 1990s, hardly any in Belgium had air conditioning, let alone standard. In France it did. Due to the hot summers in the south of France. That's just how it goes. An ocean with us is not at all as fully equipped as in the UK (and is therefore not that expensive). Why? Like you mentioned: the vw product planners know and agreements (sometimes even commissioned by vw) with the main importer of a country or group of countries.

Ile kosztuje uaktualnienie?
Są standardem w brytyjskich oceanach i dla mnie są fantastyczne

How much is the upgrade?
They are standard in U.K. Oceans and to me are fantastic
Now I won't check because there is no Coast version in the configurator, but from what I remember it was something around 400 pounds. Personally, I have the Coast Edition and it, apart from the lack of an electric roof, has practically everything that the Ocean version has. Double glazing as well.
I just edited a movie from my vacation, you can take a look ;) There's more of my family there than California but you can see something:

Back