Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T5 order in Feb or wait for muted T6 from May?

Am I correct also in thinking that the T6 will be an interim vehicle, to be very soon replaced by the T7, or T6 v2 which will all have Euro 6 engines?

Meanbean said:
Thanks all, beginning to realise it would be best to order soon and make the most of this year!

SMG Cowfold, thinking of coming down and seeing you guys, who would be the best person to make contact with?

Thanks again all.
Ian

If you pop down or call, please speak to Hugh in our sales team who will be more than happy to help you with any sales enquiries.

01403 581242

Thanks

smgcowfold said:
Meanbean said:
Thanks all, beginning to realise it would be best to order soon and make the most of this year!

SMG Cowfold, thinking of coming down and seeing you guys, who would be the best person to make contact with?

Thanks again all.
Ian

If you pop down or call, please speak to Hugh in our sales team who will be more than happy to help you with any sales enquiries.

01403 581242

Thanks

Thanks, I'll drop him a line in the next week or so.

GrannyJen said:
Mine at full spec value was £61k

Bought for £51k

Part-ex with my X3 meant £25k

As a HR tax payer equates to £41k pre tax income

Current residual value circa £45 k

More excellent Man/Granny Maths :D

Ours was similar:

List price 51k - paid 42k (ex-demo with demo miles)

10K Deposit/Part Ex

So 32k loan, which we did via a mortgage - as long as the van is worth more than the outstanding mortgage I am well happy - currently we owe 23k on the mortgage and the van is still worth £36k+

Cali residuals make a big difference.

Our is a 5.1, so current model, but the value of T5's and 4s give me confidence that man maths will still stack up when the t6 and 7 come out.

T

Also in the same boat. Ready to order but hesitated due to the news of the impending T6. I am advised by VW that the earliest the panel vans will be on the road is very late 2015 or possibly early 2016 and looking at the spyshots of the T6 its looks to be a very similar vehicle with some cosmetic tweaks and new engine choices. There is speak of a 2.0L 225ps being available but personally i'm more interested in fuel economy than car performance.

A friend offered some great advice; "Let's be real, it's not about the motor, more what you gonna do with it!"

So all told i'll be going for the current T5 with a bit of haggling!

Cheers

Same decision to take here.
I expect fuel economy to be a lot better on the new engine.
The new Mercedes Marco Polo Activity has CO2 emissions as low as 152g and combined diesel consumption of 5,8l/100km (40.5mpg) vs 7,0 for the 2.0 114bhp on the VW (33mpg)
Given the cars are comparable in size and dimension, this is an indication of what is to be expected, the decision is quite hard (especially since tax level over here is determined by co2)
Also order times, if I were to order today, are starting to become a problem in order to get the car before summer.

TimR said:
There is speak of a 2.0L 225ps being available but personally i'm more interested in fuel economy than car performance.

A friend offered some great advice; "Let's be real, it's not about the motor, more what you gonna do with it!"

Cheers

I'm not sure what I would do with that extra power. The legal limit, or thereabouts, on a motorway, is good enough for me and my 180 cruises all day long effortlessly at that speed. It's been clattering all over the highlands as fast as traffic conditions would allow. I've held no one up...

On the other hand, what you do with it?

Plough through floods, mud and snow, bounce over narrow single track roads, clatter over unmade roads, get to places other motorhomes cannot reach, pull into pub car parks and ask ever so nicely "are you open for dinner, and can I stop over in your car park?", find a totally gorgeous, secluded spot with stunning views and just stop the night in warmth and comfort, keep hearing severe weather warnings, hunker down and be warm and safe ...

This has been me in the last 7 days (6 separate weather warnings and two more to come before Friday)..

and today, the get out of jail card ... a narrow highland road A896 between Lochs Torridon and Kishorn, a van on it's side after skidding on the snow and ice and hitting a bank, road closed, long queue of traffic, very nice policeman... "excuse me Sir, can't I squeeze through? 4WD with winters on the wheels"?... policeman looks at the van., "well yes, you could squeeze through, have to go half on the verge and the snow is packed ..." ... and off Albert sails, passed all the queue, up on the bank, bit of a squeeze, clattered down the other side and on my way...

Why wait?

GrannyJen said:
TimR said:
There is speak of a 2.0L 225ps being available but personally i'm more interested in fuel economy than car performance.

Cheers

I'm not sure what I would do with that extra power. The legal limit, or thereabouts, on a motorway, is good enough for me and my 180 cruises all day long effortlessly at that speed. It's been clattering all over the highlands as fast as traffic conditions would allow. I've held no one up...

On the other hand, what you do with it?

Plough through floods, mud and snow, bounce over narrow single track roads, clatter over unmade roads, get to places other motorhomes cannot reach, pull into pub car parks and ask ever so nicely "are you open for dinner, and can I stop over in your car park?", find a totally gorgeous, secluded spot with stunning views and just stop the night in warmth and comfort, keep hearing severe weather warnings, hunker down and be warm and safe ...

This has been me in the last 7 days (6 separate weather warnings and two more to come before Friday)..

and today, the get out of jail card ... a narrow highland road A896 between Lochs Torridon and Kishorn, a van on it's side after skidding on the snow and ice and hitting a bank, road closed, long queue of traffic, very nice policeman... "excuse me Sir, can't I squeeze through? 4WD with winters on the wheels"?... policeman looks at the van., "well yes, you could squeeze through, have to go half on the verge and the snow is packed ..." ... and off Albert sails, passed all the queue, up on the bank, bit of a squeeze, clattered down the other side and on my way...

Why wait?
Haha, great post Jen. Good on you for showing them how to do it. Maybe i should have ordered a 4motion :doh

larrylamb said:
Good on you for showing them how to do it. Maybe i should have ordered a 4motion :doh

To be honest, its useful, and a comfort, but really it's just trusting the vehicle and in the conditions today (and apparently worse tomorrow) the winter tyres are the most important thing, really gave me a great feeling of confidence ...

and of course, the :oops: :oops: bit that I haven't mentioned ....

I was on that road because I could not get through on the Applecross road ... I did try ... until a steep climb, a couple of hairpins, big big snow deposits, a big big hole on one sign ... and a gate across the road signed "CLOSED"....

now, how to turn a 5 metre van round on a 2 metre wide road...? White knuckles and red face :oops:

torridon.jpg road impassable.jpg

Brilliant Jen, like how it was only the road closed barrier that stopped you. :thumb

Hi
Personally i would wait because i would be gutted if a new possibly better t6 cali came out after i had purchased a t5 cali.Ours is now 3 years old in march and normally we change every 3 years but will be certainly waiting this time
Only my personal opinion , but saying that you certainly would not be disappointed with a t5 cali as we have never looked back and loved every minute.(apart from handing over the cheque !)
dave and lisa

Personally I think if a new Cali was going to be definitely launched in 2015, we would have seen official press launch by now. You only have to look at the range of new cars for 2015 that have already been launched into the public domain.
The T5+, T6, T7 , T FOR TWO, da, da ,da-Calis etc discussed are concept, rumour or conjecture.
Go order a current one, I have. Whatever Cali you have will always be a valuable classic.

Can anyone post a link to an article/statement mentioning this engine update for the T5 cali in 2015? What is the source?
Or is it really just "rumours", which might not happen until 2016.

New Transporter will not be launched until quarter 3 of this year so don't expect to see panel vans on the road or in dealers until the end of 2015 or early 2016. The new model is not even available to order yet and there is no news on a California and or when it will be coming so you may be in for a long wait once it is released and once you order it.

Thanks

I read any new car sold in Europe should comply to EURO 6 from september 2015 onwards.
Given that none of the Cali's engines are EURO6 at the moment, if VW doesn't have an updated engine by then, they can no longer deliver cars.
Not sure if this applies to the SE/Comfortline = Camper, or just the Beach, which is considered a passenger car.

Back