Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 4motion fuel economy

It less safe for one simple reason. In an accident the kinetic energy getting rear ended by 40t at 56mph has a very different outcome than by 2t at 70mph.

It is particularly difficult, if not impossible, to be rear ended by a 40t tuck at 56mph if you are travelling at 58mph.

Having said that, I was recently delayed by a rather nasty collision on the M23 between an HGV and an 8hp 1903 car.

Last edited:
It is particularly difficult, if not impossible, to be rear ended by a 40t tuck at 56mph if you are travelling at 58mph.
Right up to the point the waggon in front stops due to a crash and neither you or the waggon behind can stop or move out the way.

Again, it’s bleeding obvious that the consequence of a lorry hitting a stationary car is worse than the consequence of a car hitting a stationary car.

it is also bleeding obvious that this has nothing to do with how fast the car was travelling before it stopped.

Therefore it’s bleeding obvious that driving at 60mph on a motorway is no less safe than driving at 70mph.

Stopping in the outside lane may reduce the probability of you being hit by a lorry from behind relative to that from stopping in the inside lane. In both cases your initial speed is not part of this equation. It is your speed at the point of impact relative to the speed of the lorry or car at the point of impact (and their mass etc.) which determine the consequence, and it is the lane you are in which determines the probability of it being either a lorry or a car which hits you.

So nope right back.

Right up to the point the waggon in front stops due to a crash and neither you or the waggon behind can stop or move out the way.
I cannot see how driving above 58mph increases your chances of stopping in time or reducing the impact of any such collision.

Anyway back to fuel.

I wouldn't worry too much about it apart from the eco aspect. To offset this I will only use Shell and being a Go + card holder they offset my carbon dioxide. Extract below from my last 10 visits.

Date of 10th visit:
Saturday 16 November 2019
Over your last 10 visits you filled up your car with:
517L
The carbon emissions from the fuel’s production, distribution and use we will offset for you is:
1510.4kg
And the total cost to offset this carbon by protecting and replanting forests, paid for by Shell, is:
£6.20*

150 4M manual Ocean. I don't do much motorway only driving but quite a bit of A road Mway A road trips. Typically I reckon to get about 35-36mpg on one of these over maybe 2-300 miles from the on board computer.

I've recently purchased a 2018 California ocean 4motion with the dsg gearbox and am disappointed because on a 250 mile journey from cumbria down to luton with the cruise set at 70mph I'm only get 32mpg is this correct?
Peter I think you will find mpg will improve with miles . Probably upto 30k miles. Last year we did 62 day 7k ml trip in Sept/Oct Uk to Nordkapp following the west coast and back down northern Finland and eastern Sweden . We were towing a braked camping trailer weighing approx 750kg and encountered all kinds of weather from + 28deg C to -10 deg C torrential rain and snow and ice . Norway Finland and Sweden were mainly at 50 kph . We drove over some serious mountains and through hundreds of tunnels in Norway and some motorway driving in Holland and Germany Denmark and Uk . Average mpg for the trip computer on return was 36.7 mpg . My van has now done 31k miles8142EB6E-585A-40FF-829E-CBA4CB0F1AEA.jpeg

Last edited:
Good evening,

I wasn't reading every post in this thread, so maybe somebody else brought this up.

I thought that under normal driving conditions a VW California 4 motion only is powered through the front wheels. In case that it is detected that the wheels are slipping etc. power is send to the back wheels.

Following this train of thoughts shouldn't be the diesel consumption not be similiar between a FWD and an 4motion? Have I said that I am aware that the 4motion is heavier and therefore more diesel is used. Have I said that an empty California 4 motion should use the samd amount of diesel as FWD fully loaded.

But maybe I misunderstood the technology.

Regards,
Eberhard

Good evening,

I wasn't reading every post in this thread, so maybe somebody else brought this up.

I thought that under normal driving conditions a VW California 4 motion only is powered through the front wheels. In case that it is detected that the wheels are slipping etc. power is send to the back wheels.

Following this train of thoughts shouldn't be the diesel consumption not be similiar between a FWD and an 4motion? Have I said that I am aware that the 4motion is heavier and therefore more diesel is used. Have I said that an empty California 4 motion should use the samd amount of diesel as FWD fully loaded.

But maybe I misunderstood the technology.

Regards,
Eberhard
On the 4 Motion, standard power distribution is 90% front and 10% rear and then varies from that point to 100% front or rear. Rarely will it be at 100%, either end for any significant time period.

You gotta remember these things are over 3 ton and then plus what its carrying around including people etc etc! I still think they could have put better more eco/Petrol engines in the new T6.1 though and feel VW have missed a opportunity!

Ok so on the topic of fuel only, mine will always give me around 30mpg with all my dive kit loaded and a boat on the back doing no more than 60mph, without the boat and dive kit no more than 34mpg, but I do drive as fast as the traffic on motorways. I feel mpg is not the reason to have one of these vans, more the freedom.
my van is a t6 204ps DSG 4motion, I did originally have my van as our only car, but due to to much damage being done in supermarket car parks from other drivers opening doors onto it, I got a diesel mini complete with carpark dents as a solution to that problem.

Just remember that fuel consumption is proportional to the square of the speed.:(:(:(

I've recently purchased a 2018 California ocean 4motion with the dsg gearbox and am disappointed because on a 250 mile journey from cumbria down to luton with the cruise set at 70mph I'm only get 32mpg is this correct?
We just bought a T6 with biggest diesel engine and notice best economy is cruising at 60. Driving stop/start in town gives worst economy.

Hi, I’ve only ever once achieved 30mpg in my 2012 4m DSG, it is usually about 28mpg. The 30mpg is only ever achievable on damp cold mornings and when I drive it as a manual...

I do live in Cornwall and so it is not flat by any stretch of imagination, obviously this has an effect.

32mpg from a newer model is probably about right.

Do you have any hesitation to accelerate when departing roundabouts for example? It is avoided in sport mode...

Hi all I’ve got a 2017 T6 2,0TDI. 150hp DSG quite often travel with an older VW at a speed just over 60 keeping ahead of the lorries and overtaking when the older one can , Our last trip to brands Hatch from Hayling Island A round trip of about 200 miles I clocked up 50 to the gallon but when travelling solo going a bit faster but not often exceeding 70 I’ll get in between 40 and 45 to the gallon that’s loaded up single traveller with a cycle rack and towbar

I have a 2017 model of the same spec (mine is the 204 hp not sure what yours is) I struggle to get better than 25 on a motorway trip - my 3.0 discovery 5 does a lot better at a similar weight and size - so I’d say you are doing quite well

Just keep away from HGV's regardless of speed if possible. So what choice do you have with variable speeds such as 40 mph? Go on M4 from jct 24 to jct 27 west bound and pray you don't get crunched on that section of motorway as many do every wk! incl my cousin by a HGV overtaking him in the second lane and hit him on the side when getting across too early, he was OK ,car a write off !
As for MPG, my average over 6 years has been between 33-36 mpg of mixed driving.
Does anyone on this post use the computer and watch how it records fuel consumption? nice when it says 200 + mpg going dn hill ! not so at 11 mpg going up !

I have a 2017 model of the same spec (mine is the 204 hp not sure what yours is) I struggle to get better than 25 on a motorway trip - my 3.0 discovery 5 does a lot better at a similar weight and size - so I’d say you are doing quite well
Mine is 150 HP And a cycle rack attached to the towbar why are you down low, okay going around town i.e. Hayling and To and from Portsmouth Goes down to lower 30s

London to Birkenhead this evening.
1 wife, 2 kids, luggage, 3 surfboards on roof, 3 bikes on rack and lots of Christmas presents in the back.

2019 4Motion Ocean 150 Manual
6397f2a3f5402abb3c5e4256b3f01c85.jpg
a0293cfbd17a9ab03162b59713ee5d09.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Does anyone on this post use the computer and watch how it records fuel consumption? nice when it says 200 + mpg going dn hill ! not so at 11 mpg going up !

Yep. I use an app every time I refuel. My global average since new for my 150DSG Ocean since new (mix of daily drive, cruising, touring heavy boat trailer) is 32mpg.

caliventures364847572.wordpress.com

Ours averages 32. Up hill, down dale, hot cold, loaded unloaded. Best I ever had was 42 Pyrenees to Calais when the French tanker drivers were on strike. Motorway all the way at around 60mph. Speed, weight , terrain, driving style all make a difference. It's pointless worrying about it, it is what it is.

We recently did the run down to London( south) from rural Yorkshire loaded with 3 adults about 230 mls. The run took about 41/2 hours door to door, and the California took us in real comfort, and appears to be returning about 30mpg. Some of the time on the motorway we were doing 70ish and at the rural end we came over empty A roads at 60, the route in London was along the M4 onto A4 and then picked up the south circular, so a varied route. The fuel consumption given the various conditions is typical for our 199 DSG 4 motion, and I hope this is helpful. My final comment is that there is no other way we can get from East Yorkshire to South London door to door in that time with all our gear at our convenience, so the fuel used is really part of the big picture.
Now on the other issue for us is a gearbox / engine oil leak from the bell housing at 10 months old, is this a common fault?

We recently did the run down to London( south) from rural Yorkshire loaded with 3 adults about 230 mls. The run took about 41/2 hours door to door, and the California took us in real comfort, and appears to be returning about 30mpg. Some of the time on the motorway we were doing 70ish and at the rural end we came over empty A roads at 60, the route in London was along the M4 onto A4 and then picked up the south circular, so a varied route. The fuel consumption given the various conditions is typical for our 199 DSG 4 motion, and I hope this is helpful. My final comment is that there is no other way we can get from East Yorkshire to South London door to door in that time with all our gear at our convenience, so the fuel used is really part of the big picture.
Now on the other issue for us is a gearbox / engine oil leak from the bell housing at 10 months old, is this a common fault?
DSG?

Back