Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 4motion fuel economy

we will see
the agent said it was OK to drive and it's booked in for the 6thJan.

I've recently purchased a 2018 California ocean 4motion with the dsg gearbox and am disappointed because on a 250 mile journey from cumbria down to luton with the cruise set at 70mph I'm only get 32mpg is this correct?
My Cali diesel 4x4 DSG 195 HP unfortunately drinks between 10-11l/100km

I've recently purchased a 2018 California ocean 4motion with the dsg gearbox and am disappointed because on a 250 mile journey from cumbria down to luton with the cruise set at 70mph I'm only get 32mpg is this correct?
I’d be very happy - I have a 2017 204 4motion and struggle to get better than 23 mpg

I’d be very happy - I have a 2017 204 4motion and struggle to get better than 23 mpg
Is that based on the MFD or brim to brim refuelling?

recent trip down to London Brim /brim full fully laden (+incidental running around at home) we calculated about 29 mpg. Return journey yesterday starting in south London and up to god's country via first, Sheffield centre, and then round to central York, finally on to the wolds we did a brim / brim top up and it calculates out at 32 mpg. the display seems to be 2mpg out! we don't use cruise control as we don't like it and we tend to travel at 70mph or the relevant speed limit.
We can say that the engine is now much looser and the DSG box is , since its removal and refit, (leak to flywheel set screws!!!) smoother in its take-up ; especially going into reverse. We have done 16K in 11months.
Next trauma will be getting a service done on all the California parts as we have the "VW finance service plan" which doesn't cover anything like a full service. We were lured into getting the service plan since we do a lot of miles and a 4 service plan by my calculation would cost over 1K; it now seems like;y that all the running gear (DSG box Halex transfer and rear diff oil change , fluid changes etc aren't included , and don't even start on the habitation stuff like gas check routine renewal of flexible hoses, lifting roof , air con service!) So the Service plan really isn't a full service schedule as VW would have you comply to to keep the vehicle working as new.
Not very impressed with VW van centre Sheffield as they are difficult to reach by phone and have yet to return calls as they say they will. Has anyone else had issue with them?

recent trip down to London Brim /brim full fully laden (+incidental running around at home) we calculated about 29 mpg. Return journey yesterday starting in south London and up to god's country via first, Sheffield centre, and then round to central York, finally on to the wolds we did a brim / brim top up and it calculates out at 32 mpg. the display seems to be 2mpg out! we don't use cruise control as we don't like it and we tend to travel at 70mph or the relevant speed limit.
We can say that the engine is now much looser and the DSG box is , since its removal and refit, (leak to flywheel set screws!!!) smoother in its take-up ; especially going into reverse. We have done 16K in 11months.
Next trauma will be getting a service done on all the California parts as we have the "VW finance service plan" which doesn't cover anything like a full service. We were lured into getting the service plan since we do a lot of miles and a 4 service plan by my calculation would cost over 1K; it now seems like;y that all the running gear (DSG box Halex transfer and rear diff oil change , fluid changes etc aren't included , and don't even start on the habitation stuff like gas check routine renewal of flexible hoses, lifting roof , air con service!) So the Service plan really isn't a full service schedule as VW would have you comply to to keep the vehicle working as new.
Not very impressed with VW van centre Sheffield as they are difficult to reach by phone and have yet to return calls as they say they will. Has anyone else had issue with them?
There is no " Service " on the habitation side of things. No requirement for a gas check unless hiring out the vehicle. No serviceable components on the electrical system, fridge, water system or roof.

I was a little taken aback by what is not covered by the VW service plan - after being handed a bill for the DSG oil change. But, I guess what VW are doing is offering a basic plan to cover all Transporter and Transporter based models. Bits that don't come as standard on all models are not covered.

The service plan covers for the minimum required service requirements. So if you do the minimum your vehicle is defacto warranted as having been maintained in line with the manufacturers requirements. The DSG oil change must be optional then but for sure is still covered by the 5 year warranty ?
If you dont intend to keep the van then stick to the plan.
I have seen this argued before with JLR for a vehicle on PCP so they are all upto it.
Final point VW dont service the Haldex properly anyway so diy or go elsewere.

Having worked in industry with an eye to safety of Gas fittings it would seem sense to apply the same sort of schedule to the gas installation .
Does the no flame device still work ?
How old are the "rubber" hoses? We had a routine of replacement at a set interval which seems sensible as the hoses are likely to deteriorate and cost little to replace.

Having worked in industry with an eye to safety of Gas fittings it would seem sense to apply the same sort of schedule to the gas installation .
How old are the "rubber" hoses? We had a routine of replacement at a set interval which seems sensible as the hoses are likely to deteriorate and cost little to replace.
Couldnt agree more having worked in hydrocarbons industry and we had the odd explosion. Shows you how disconnected all this servicing and maintenance really is. Cambelt snapped or ignited gas leak wcih matters most.

There is only 1 flexible rubberhose, in fact rubber over a polyurethrane core, easily replaced at , I believe 7 yrs. I've never had a flame failure device that failed On only Off.

There is only 1 flexible rubberhose, in fact rubber over a polyurethrane core, easily replaced at , I believe 7 yrs. I've never had a flame failure device that failed On only Off.
Your comments are well received, however, the hose does need checking periodically as does the flame failure device.

Your comments are well received, however, the hose does need checking periodically as does the flame failure device.
And easily done if you can top up the oil and check the tyres.:thumb

And easily done if you can top up the oil and check the tyres.:thumb
Bit more to it than this. A check should also include. Condition of supply seals, stop valves including isolation drop test, screwed connections for leaks, containment seal, dropout clear, regulator control pressure, burner jet and air inlet clear. Flame pattern and colour.

Bit more to it than this. A check should also include. Condition of supply seals, stop valves including isolation drop test, screwed connections for leaks, containment seal, dropout clear, regulator control pressure, burner jet and air inlet clear. Flame pattern and colour.
Well, when I used to have a gas check on my caravan it was nothing as comprehensive as that and that was at a number of establishments. On the California it tends to just be a pressure test and check of the burners and reducing valve and tubing in the gas safe IF you can find someone prepared to undertake it.
I think I'll just continue with my own checks. As I use it pretty regularly throughout the year I'm sure I'll notice if something is not right, and that's the problem with annual safety checks they only prove something is OK at the time of testing and you should really be aware all the time and every time you use such a system that it is performing correctly and not be lulled into a false sense of security just because you have a piece of paper.
No different to a MOT.

So your suggesting if the van is used regularly and you do your own checks an MOT shouldnt be required and that the MOT is a false sense of security. Well it works for classic cars it seems.
You have a level of competency that means Im sure you will be just fine but some folk would have no idea and some no interest in complying, this is the reason Gas Safe exists and the MOT.
The annual check does have a value as it does for the MOT as some folk use the process instead of doing routine maintenance, the clock gets reset. Time based issues get fixed by routine inspectons like MOT,s (value of the piece of paper) its the non time related failures that are only good on the day as you state.
Im stating what should be done and clearly not what is done so back to where we started - its pretty inadequate.

So your suggesting if the van is used regularly and you do your own checks an MOT shouldnt be required and that the MOT is a false sense of security. Well it works for classic cars it seems.
You have a level of competency that means Im sure you will be just fine but some folk would have no idea and some no interest in complying, this is the reason Gas Safe exists and the MOT.
The annual check does have a value as it does for the MOT as some folk use the process instead of doing routine maintenance, the clock gets reset. Time based issues get fixed by routine inspectons like MOT,s (value of the piece of paper) its the non time related failures that are only good on the day as you state.
Im stating what should be done and clearly not what is done so back to where we started - its pretty inadequate.
I agree with a lot of what you say. I don't think any vehicle should fail a MOT in any significant way, if it is properly looked after. The trouble is nowadays that is not the case and it won't change unfortunately.

As a former live aboard long term boater, maintenance of a Cali is a dream.
Try bleeding a diesel fuel pump under a hot 158hp engine in a 3m swell at 2am!

As a former live aboard long term boater, maintenance of a Cali is a dream.
Try bleeding a diesel fuel pump under a hot 158hp engine in a 3m swell at 2am!
What were you singing whilst bleeding it,
When the going gets tough.

I think it was ‘The Green, Green Grass of Home‘.

Back