Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean MPG

I have started to use the 'coasting' option to see if it improves milage. Appears to boost by 3 to 4 mpg but can be a bit spooky to drive at times. Ideal on a straight bit of motorway where I averaged 37/38 mpg, up from 34. Sometimes the readout says I am getting 200mpg!

Probably take off the road for Dec / Jan / Feb and leave in the garage so will update any further results in Spring.

Does the coasting function work with ACC? On a previous dsg Car with ACC it didn’t, much to my annoyance...

Does the coasting function work with ACC? On a previous dsg Car with ACC it didn’t, much to my annoyance...

No it doesn’t. You need to use the cancel/set/resume buttons to get it to activate when required.

Mike

Very good, but I’d be tempted to sacrifice some of this frugality to stretch its legs to give everything a good clear out for the health of the DPF etc.
I forgot, I did cane it to make the Caen Ouistreham ferry; 130 km/h. Got around 36 mpg on that bit.

I didn't notice any difference to ACC with the ACC and coasting option on - and I always use acc. I could be wrong about this and defer to other experienced users.

My Ocean with 4Motion and DSG seems to have plateaued at 8.7 litres per 100 km (32.5 mpg) after its first 1,600 km. This has mostly been on trips of 80km or more with two adults and unladen bike carrier. I’m hoping this consumption will improve with time as it’s 22.5% above VW’s stated combined consumption figure of 7.1.

My Ocean with 4Motion and DSG seems to have plateaued at 8.7 litres per 100 km (32.5 mpg) after its first 1,600 km. This has mostly been on trips of 80km or more with two adults and unladen bike carrier. I’m hoping this consumption will improve with time as it’s 22.5% above VW’s stated combined consumption figure of 7.1.
Don't hold your breath, I'm afraid. Real life and Manufacturers figures have absolutely no relationship.
Now if you hyper inflate tyres, switch off radio/satnav, air con, remove removable seats , awning etc: then maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm not even sure if the figures quoted for the California are for the California or the Base Van?

Don't hold your breath, I'm afraid. Real life and Manufacturers figures have absolutely no relationship.
Now if you hyper inflate tyres, switch off radio/satnav, air con, remove removable seats , awning etc: then maybe, but I doubt it.

I'm not even sure if the figures quoted for the California are for the California or the Base Van?
You would expect them to be California specific. The brochure gives different fuel consumption figures for the same engine in the Beach and California, presumably reflecting the Cali’s greater weight.

I have just passed 10k mi in my 150DSG Ocean and the average mpg (measured with odo and diesel pump) since new stands at 32.2. I have done s fair bit of short city journeys, as well as s certain amount of towing a heavy boat, so I suppose I shouldn’t be surprised but I was hoping for a little better.

My previous ride, s T5 conversion on s 140auto managed 27mpg over 57k mi.

Charles

I have started to use the 'coasting' option to see if it improves milage. Appears to boost by 3 to 4 mpg but can be a bit spooky to drive at times. Ideal on a straight bit of motorway where I averaged 37/38 mpg, up from 34. Sometimes the readout says I am getting 200mpg!

Probably take off the road for Dec / Jan / Feb and leave in the garage so will update any further results in Spring.
It says 200mpg because we use mpg. In fact when coasting you use no fuel. If the speedometer was in km the readout would be 0 l/100km.

Good stuff!
In Civitanova Marche now and MFD reads 55 mpg. Yesterday from Colmar through Swiss to Piacenza 53 mpg. As I said above, I got 49 mpg in Morocco last year. Don’t know if the MFD is faulty; too lazy to check fuel purchased with miles travelled!
By the way, although I’m an oap I still work as an agency driver at weekends when I’m home. The depôt is 12 miles away mostly uphill and I get around 38 mpg going and 41 home so I’ve no reason to believe the MFD is far out.

I’ve no reason to believe the MFD is far out.
"Road Trip" is an excellent app that calculates your mpg or Km/l or l/100Km after you input your odometer reading and refuel volume. If you also input the price it will calculate pence per mile.
f2c1f02882090a43d5b8e07e2cef0572.jpg

By comparing this with the MFD you will soon learn that the MFD mpg figure is a complete fabrication of the truth.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

My Cali mpg took 15 k miles to settle . 28 round town 35 on a run .

I don't check MPG regularly because my 150 DSG 4 motion Ocean is used on so many different journeys with differing loads. As an average, I will refill with about 65 litres (tank is 80 litres) after about 850 kms (530 miles) which works out at around 37mpg. I don't have a lead foot and I use standard supermarket diesel. I will give her a tankful of the good stuff or a dose of Millers Oils additive about every 5th refill. I am never going to achieve the MPG's stated by VW. I have all season tyres, roof rails & box, awning and rear bike rack. Fully loaded, the vehicle will weigh around 3 tonnes and has the aerodynamics of a building block, so I can't expect much more. The engine used about a litre of oil for the first 1000kms but after that, nothing. It was a bit thirsty to start with, but now has 11000kms on the clock and fuel consumption has improved. Adblue usage is pretty meagre really so it's not an issue for me. Overall, I am happy with what I get and will only start to raise an eyebrow if average consumption starts to take a drop.

"Road Trip" is an excellent app that calculates your mpg or Km/l or l/100Km after you input your odometer reading and refuel volume. If you also input the price it will calculate pence per mile.
f2c1f02882090a43d5b8e07e2cef0572.jpg

By comparing this with the MFD you will soon learn that the MFD mpg figure is a complete fabrication of the truth.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
Thanks, I’ll attempt to download it and report back in a few weeks

I assume all these figures relate to diesel? Can anyone comment on petrol at all or is the advice to stay well clear?

I assume all these figures relate to diesel? Can anyone comment on petrol at all or is the advice to stay well clear?
The petrol is no longer an option. It had been discontinued - perhaps until an entirely new engine is developed. No petrol version of the T6 can get anywhere near these figures.

The petrol is no longer an option. It had been discontinued - perhaps until an entirely new engine is developed. No petrol version of the T6 can get anywhere near these figures.
Petrol is an option on the bog standard transporter van at the moment.
It also has a higher emission (206 g/km*2 ) for the full fat one.
Chips,rice,couscous,quinoa who knows.

According to dealer the California and Caravelle have to comply with Real World testing and classified M1 i.e. Cars. The petrol version does not make the Euro6 standards apparently for this classification I was informed therefor discontinued for the passenger carrying models. Maybe a newer model engine may comply but who knows.

Thanks, I’ll attempt to download it and report back in a few weeks
Downloaded “roadtrip” now Amarillo. Just done 4K miles round Europe but I’ll leave it a couple of months commuting before reporting back.

Here's ours from new, 204DSG
8CF399FD-5D34-4B80-8790-8B60E97444AB.png
Not done many miles yet.

Interesting comparison with a 150DSG, when I was travelling in convoy with @SimonB recently his did 4mpg better on the MFD over a short run of about 10 miles on slow mostly uphill roads.