Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean MPG

Mines a T6 Beach, 150PS, Manual. I average 100 miles per day, 7 days a week, every week. MPG range is between 35.1-35.7 - I think a warm engine helps, mine doesn't get much time to cool down.

I was surprised recently, that even when making full use of the German AutoBahn, 100-110 MPH, for quite a distance..... The average didn't take a nose-drive, making me think, it's the stop-start traffic, and navigating our "street-furniture" is what really hits MPG.

me think, it's the stop-start traffic, and navigating our "street-furniture" is what really hits MPG.

Totally agree with this - have adapted my route to work to cut out driving through residential areas and back roads (usually a good short cut) and the MPG has increased significantly. The warmer weather helps too but starting to feel much better about MPG.

Now if I could only get my other half to rein in her lead foot!

Totally agree with this - have adapted my route to work to cut out driving through residential areas and back roads (usually a good short cut) and the MPG has increased significantly. The warmer weather helps too but starting to feel much better about MPG.

Now if I could only get my other half to rein in her lead foot!
Mines a T6 Beach, 150PS, Manual. I average 100 miles per day, 7 days a week, every week. MPG range is between 35.1-35.7 - I think a warm engine helps, mine doesn't get much time to cool down.

I was surprised recently, that even when making full use of the German AutoBahn, 100-110 MPH, for quite a distance..... The average didn't take a nose-drive, making me think, it's the stop-start traffic, and navigating our "street-furniture" is what really hits MPG.
That's our experience too. Our 6 month old T6 150 Ocean with 5,000 miles on the clock has a lifetime average mpg of 39.6. It's a part daily-driver but we use the car for short distances, and that seems to make a big difference.

Gosh! I'm impressed with ours then! 4 months old, 2700 miles on clock, we've been getting 41.8 to 46.3 in our 150 DSG, fully loaded with awning, bbq, water, gear for 3 days. Mainly on the A1 averaging 70mph with a 13 mile stretch at 50mph then country roads.

Gosh! I'm impressed with ours then! 4 months old, 2700 miles on clock, we've been getting 41.8 to 46.3 in our 150 DSG, fully loaded with awning, bbq, water, gear for 3 days. Mainly on the A1 averaging 70mph with a 13 mile stretch at 50mph then country roads.

Good for you! - the Cali is a big lump to get off the line, but once you're up to temp & rolling it's not that bad on the fuel.

Went across the A66 week before last & turned right at Penrith - beautiful to be out on a long stretch of fast road with no other bugger in sight ...

Drive mine (mostly) very long distances in Europe and returns about 41 mpg just drifting along at 65. Think they just hate stop/start. Find range with the 80 litre tank to be about 650 to 725 miles before I fill up. Haven't been very scientific but for instance just driven from Calais to Pula'ish in Croatia. Filled up in Calais and then again in far east Germany and sat in Croatia with over half a tank left. I think considering has all my stuff and my dog for 6 months on the road that isn't too bad at all.

Forgot the important information. Is a 180bhp (I think) California SE with DSG and 12000 miles since I picked it up last August with 24 miles on it. Is a very last 5.2 I think.

150 DSG, first 3,100 miles, mixed driving 39mpg (typo, edited from 1,300 to 3,100 miles)

Last edited:
150 DSG, first 1,300 miles, mixed driving 39mpg
T6 Beach 150 DSG; fully loaded, bikes on rack. 6659 miles mostly in Scandinavia and the Baltic States. Accurate brim to brim measurements: 843.55 litres; 35.9 mpg.

Trip computer gives over 38 mpg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What exactly does the ad blue do and what happens if it runs dry?
There is a warning that the level is getting low then if ignored it finally puts engine into a limp mode. When the engine is switched off it will not restart until the Adblue tank is filled. Wouldn't recommend trying it.

You can't beat the system by filling with water etc.

Back now from my first major trip.
Before I went the Cali had about 2500 on the clock and it's now done another 4000.
Figures don't mean much as it depends on to many factors. Suffice it to say I was not attempting to get a good MPG and many miles were spent climbing and descending any mountain I could find in Spain and Portugal.
Good news is that in line with what normally happens MPG has increased once the engine has loosened up and I now fully expect to get something in the mid to high 30's with my 204 4Motion.
I only post this to reassure anyone with a very new Cali that MPG will improve.
Before the trip average MPG in a very carefully driven Cali was poor and despite how I have driven it the average has risen which I only discovered when I set the readings back to MPG.
Quite surprised that as I made good progress back from Portsmouth to Bristol the average for the journey was up to 40 with tow bar rack and a fair bit of kit. No water on board but more than the equivalent in red wine .

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just posted this on another mpg thread...

We’ve just done a 400 mile round trip to Henley for a few days. A good opportunity to give her a proper run and clear out, so wasn’t hanging around. Averaged 40 mpg according to the trip computer, run the van exclusively on Shell V Power diesel. Pretty happy with that.

Our T6 204 Ocean 4 motion DSG after 8 k gets about 33 mpg according to on board computer in mixed conditions in rolling rural Scotland

Yesterday I drove around 200 miles mixed town and motorway and countryside . I got 35.5mpg during that trip. I have had higher and lower on various trips . My long term average is 32 mpg, but seems to be creeping up.

PS, fully loaded with luggage , water , fuel, two bikes on a tow rack and my wife !!

I took the Cali for a service in Hereford and got just over 50 on the run down from Shrewsbury but only 35 on the way back, I imagine caused by going uphill heading north:), or perhaps it was the "enhancements" they made during the service?

According to the MFD I'm also getting 38 overall mpg but these numbers are only a guide. Even measuring consumption by the tankful isn't accurate as the speedo, and therefore mileage, is optimistic when compared to the satnav.

I took the Cali for a service in Hereford and got just over 50 on the run down from Shrewsbury but only 35 on the way back, I imagine caused by going uphill heading north:), or perhaps it was the "enhancements" they made during the service?

According to the MFD I'm also getting 38 overall mpg but these numbers are only a guide. Even measuring consumption by the tankful isn't accurate as the speedo, and therefore mileage, is optimistic when compared to the satnav.
Best way to check your odometer accuracy is to locate a 'measured mile.' Your local police road traffic dep't should be able to tell you where they are as they should be using them on a daily basis to check the accuracy of the on board equipment in traffic patrol vehicles. You might even be able to locate them on the internet. The best accuracy is gained by doing a few journeys up & down the MM thus providing a number of odometer trip measurements to derive a reliable 'average odometer accuracy' for any future calculations and tests you might want to make. The MM can also be used to check your speedo accuracy.

My speedometer and satnav mph match perfectly up to 75 mph. I had always thought speedos read high and drove thinking my actual speed would be lower going through speed cameras .Wrong! Had the speedo checked and I must have a faulty unit as it is spot on and accurate. That said the MFD consumption is out by between 2 and 3 mpg.

return trip from perth Scotland to Bristol at road speeds and from 70 to 80mph on the motorway cost £60 to refill the tank today. so that works out at around 34 to 35 mpg. not bad for a brick. F

My speedometer and satnav mph match perfectly up to 75 mph. I had always thought speedos read high and drove thinking my actual speed would be lower going through speed cameras .Wrong! Had the speedo checked and I must have a faulty unit as it is spot on and accurate. That said the MFD consumption is out by between 2 and 3 mpg.

My Sat Nav is lower that my speedo same for both my vans and my car before that about 32 on spedo = 30 on Sat Nav

Best way to check your odometer accuracy is to locate a 'measured mile.' Your local police road traffic dep't should be able to tell you where they are as they should be using them on a daily basis to check the accuracy of the on board equipment in traffic patrol vehicles. You might even be able to locate them on the internet. The best accuracy is gained by doing a few journeys up & down the MM thus providing a number of odometer trip measurements to derive a reliable 'average odometer accuracy' for any future calculations and tests you might want to make. The MM can also be used to check your speedo accuracy.
Alternative is to go through a 30mph zone speed camera at an indicated 40mph and compare the printout on your ticket when it drops through the post.:thefinger

204 manual 4 motion, now with just over 7,000 miles on it . Never had any more than 32mpg or roughly 400 miles before filling the tank , just the way it is . Well used to it ! Not to mention filling it with ad-blue .
150 DSG. Over 40 mpg. On a trip to Morocco in the spring I got up to 49. I drive at around 60 and don’t accelerate faster than the cruise control resume.

I have started to use the 'coasting' option to see if it improves milage. Appears to boost by 3 to 4 mpg but can be a bit spooky to drive at times. Ideal on a straight bit of motorway where I averaged 37/38 mpg, up from 34. Sometimes the readout says I am getting 200mpg!

Probably take off the road for Dec / Jan / Feb and leave in the garage so will update any further results in Spring.

150 DSG. Over 40 mpg. On a trip to Morocco in the spring I got up to 49. I drive at around 60 and don’t accelerate faster than the cruise control resume.

Very good, but I’d be tempted to sacrifice some of this frugality to stretch its legs to give everything a good clear out for the health of the DPF etc.