Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 roof fabric

dayslikethis

dayslikethis

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Had my first sight of a T6 Ocean at VW Cardiff today. Nicer seat material I thought. Also noticed that the material for the pop up roof is different and much improved- seems to be thicker, weather proof? and more durable.

And Translucent . Be careful what you get upto inside .:thumb

Seems some like the new fabric others not ....

seems to be thicker, weather proof? and more durable.
I only based the other thread on Liverpool VW's video. It certainly doesn't look thicker there.

I only based the other thread on Liverpool VW's video. It certainly doesn't look thicker there.
Certainly thicker and has a sort of sheen. It does look more hard wearing. Sorry I should have photographed it I was there for about an hour awaiting my van service.

:)Morning. Sunshine here
Can any new owner of T6 Ocean/ Beach give feedback on the roof fabric ?
Seen one negative comment.
Thanks

It is not thin but it is a very light material, possibly too light. I think we will start to see problems when the sun rises early. On a sunny day like today it feels like there is a floodlight upstairs which is not ideal.

We have now purchased a Comfortz Topper which will hopeflly resolve the problem, I will report back once it arrives.

Shame VW could not learn from Mercedes Marco Polo 3 - this looks stunning!

marco polo.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Marco-Polo-3.jpg

Mercedes-Benz-Marco-Polo-56.jpg

I do like the Marco Polo, looks much more modern compared to the Cali.

Yep. Would be interesting to see one in the flesh and compare with a Cali. Roof is by Westfalia so a positive there I would have thought. What do our members who have the option of one think as I presume someone has had a look. Not an option in the UK :-(

:)Morning. Sunshine here
Can any new owner of T6 Ocean/ Beach give feedback on the roof fabric ?
Seen one negative comment.
Thanks
I have no negative feedback about mine.
I don't feel it's too light.
When the sun is out and I'm out in the van I don't feel I need total black out anyway.
Some people seem to have got extra excited by one photo and comment and turned the roof canvas into a problem that I don't think is a problem. Mostly t5ers wanting to laugh at t6ers maybe? I know it's just joshing and that's all good.
I'm completely happy with mine. Perhaps just a matter of taste.

Thanks just the answer I was looking for. Good to hear different views of T6 owners on their roof.

Do you still need to fit the elastic bungee thingy?

Do you mean a bellows bungee

Same thing more letters....
Think the canvas on the T6 still has the same risk of popping out while closing the roof as the T5....
So , yes a elastic bungee thingy might save you from trouble:D

Like to hear from T6 owners thier expiriences....

Same thing more letters....
Think the canvas on the T6 still has the same risk of popping out while closing the roof as the T5....
So , yes a elastic bungee thingy might save you from trouble:D

Like to hear from T6 owners thier expiriences....
I've still put a bungee on mine. Maybe it's just peace of mind but I like having it there as an extra help. In the end though it's still all about being careful when lowering the roof and making sure you have a door open.
For the price of the bungee I think it's not worth risking it.

No i cant see the need on my van with manual roof - tho might be different in windy conditions. Can you imagine seeing a bellows bungee on a Marco Polo

Snows in Plymouth now have T6 Cali in the showroom.
We liked the roof fabric , much lighter space when roof up . Not so dark.

it's copied from the Cali..

I love this snobbery!

The Merc MP conversion is done by Westfalia who invented the (early) Californias. If any rip-off of design ever happened, it was from the Westy poptop T4 to the VW T5 Cali. Have a look in one and compare!

I bought one but haven't used it. Mine has ribs stitched in vertically with a crease inwards to encourage the bellows to come in the van(not sure it the T5s had these/or if they worked but mine seems to......for now). Incidentally I think it was one of these ribs that caught one of my roof lining retainers and pulled it out/broke it. So if you see one of these lying around you know where it's from.
72d9977d1256e4a6632c3d24c7b0cbfc.jpg

36dda03f2d9032da7f09bda6ac19c260.jpg

I bought one but haven't used it. Mine has ribs stitched in vertically with a crease inwards to encourage the bellows to come in the van(not sure it the T5s had these/or if they worked but mine seems to......for now). Incidentally I think it was one of these ribs that caught one of my roof lining retainers and pulled it out/broke it. So if you see one of these lying around you know where it's from.
72d9977d1256e4a6632c3d24c7b0cbfc.jpg

36dda03f2d9032da7f09bda6ac19c260.jpg
My 2014 has those same struts, folding inwards. However I still use a Bungee, for the main reason that we rarely have "windless" days in the UK , and elsewhere during Autumn, Winter and Spring and and as the TV advert says " Every little bit helps.":thumb

Back