Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 VW California Delays

Ordered T6 DSG Beach Week 17

Given a provisional build date of Week 41
Build date later slipped to Week 44
Phoned dealer today - Build week now slipped to Week 2 2017.

37 weeks order to build. An adult female body can produce a baby in less time than that (the male body is somewhat less skilled).

Goodness! Built, had a two week holiday and a week to repair all the bits that went wrong! :shocked

How long do we generally have to wait before being given a provisional build date (from making the order)?

Ordered T6 DSG Beach Week 17

Given a provisional build date of Week 41
Build date later slipped to Week 44
Phoned dealer today - Build week now slipped to Week 2 2017.

37 weeks order to build. An adult female body can produce a baby in less time than that (the male body is somewhat less skilled).
Do you still have to wait 3 months after the dealer registers it? If so, could be next summer by the time you see it?

Do you still have to wait 3 months after the dealer registers it? If so, could be next summer by the time you see it?

I have the dealer's word that if the three month demonstrator period is not over by Christmas, they will probably loan me the van from Christmas until the three month period is up. I suppose that a week two build would mean an (acceptable) broken promise and an immediate loan of the vehicle for 3 months. I would also hope for a mini service after 3 months, and any problems fixed at that point.

They are also under a contractual obligation to deliver the vehicle to me by 31 March 2017. This obligation is under threat if they do not receive the vehicle before the end of January. I suppose they could sell it to me as a new vehicle as soon as it arrives.

Although I am eagerly awaiting the van, I am under no pressure. Our plan is to depart for our European tour at the end of May or early June 2017.

I ordered my Cali on 24th August - no information about build dates so far..........Early days.........just chillin' :happy

I have the dealer's word that if the three month demonstrator period is not over by Christmas, they will probably loan me the van from Christmas until the three month period is up. I suppose that a week two build would mean an (acceptable) broken promise and an immediate loan of the vehicle for 3 months. I would also hope for a mini service after 3 months, and any problems fixed at that point.

They are also under a contractual obligation to deliver the vehicle to me by 31 March 2017. This obligation is under threat if they do not receive the vehicle before the end of January. I suppose they could sell it to me as a new vehicle as soon as it arrives.

Although I am eagerly awaiting the van, I am under no pressure. Our plan is to depart for our European tour at the end of May or early June 2017.
Please don't call it a "van".........even with all the angst about delivery delays etc. it deserves better than that....."Cali" is good. :thumb

My Van was ordered week 30 ( end July)
Provisional Build week 50 ( week of Dec 12)
Delivery mid - end Jan

If this time line is held lead time would be around 6 months

Happy for my dates to slip a little, but I would still want it registered before march 31 to have the lower VED

[QUOTE="They are also under a contractual obligation to deliver the vehicle to me by 31 March 2017.[/QUOTE]
Wow! How did you manage to achieve this?? I never heard of a contracted delivery date.

[QUOTE="They are also under a contractual obligation to deliver the vehicle to me by 31 March 2017.
Wow! How did you manage to achieve this?? I never heard of a contracted delivery date.[/QUOTE]
When I ordered my T5 I had it in writing that it would be delivered on a set day 1st December 2014. I paid my deposit and agreed the spec and left it upto the Dealership as to when they ordered.
With the T6 it is a different ball game unless you give them a delivery date that can be realistically met. It will be interesting to see if this " Contractual Obligation " is met.

Week 2 build might mean delivery around week 5/6. Sounds like you have a plan :thumb

Wow! How did you manage to achieve this?? I never heard of a contracted delivery date.
When I ordered my T5 I had it in writing that it would be delivered on a set day 1st December 2014. I paid my deposit and agreed the spec and left it upto the Dealership as to when they ordered.
With the T6 it is a different ball game unless you give them a delivery date that can be realistically met. It will be interesting to see if this " Contractual Obligation " is met.[/QUOTE]
Indeed! Please keep us all up to date.....most intrigued.

[QUOTE="They are also under a contractual obligation to deliver the vehicle to me by 31 March 2017.
Wow! How did you manage to achieve this?? I never heard of a contracted delivery date.[/QUOTE]

I asked for a long stop date for delivery - 4 months after the dealer's expected delivery date, and an extraordinary 7 months after the dealer expected to receive the vehicle. This was written into the comments section of the order form, alongside a maximum mileage as a demonstrator. The dealer has signed the comments.

I do not think that "California" is an appropriate name for a camper van with such a rich European heritage. Even "Kamper" would be better, "Caravelle" would work too, but that's been allocated to another type of van.
OK! Obviously hit a nerve here. Didn't mean to, but "van" IMHO is just wrong.

How long do we generally have to wait before being given a provisional build date (from making the order)?
To give you an idea, here's our timeline so far....
We ordered mid-Feb 2016 and did not get a provisional build date of week 31 until 1st June. This slipped to week 34 in mid-July, which was confirmed on 8th August.
Our Beach was finished earlier this week and is somewhere between the VW factory and the dealer, though I suspect it is still in Germany.

Oh, you lucky things! Maybe I'll get some good news on my early March order soon ;)

I do not think that "California" is an appropriate name for a camper van with such a rich European heritage. Even "Kamper" would be better, "Caravelle" would work too, but that's been allocated to another type of van.
California is in Scotland, which for now is still in Europe.

I asked for a long stop date for delivery - 4 months after the dealer's expected delivery date, and an extraordinary 7 months after the dealer expected to receive the vehicle. This was written into the comments section of the order form, alongside a maximum mileage as a demonstrator. The dealer has signed the comments.[/QUOTE]
Sounds your dealer was either inexperienced or dishonest in your delivery expectation.

To give you an idea, here's our timeline so far....
We ordered mid-Feb 2016 and did not get a provisional build date of week 31 until 1st June. This slipped to week 34 in mid-July, which was confirmed on 8th August.
Our Beach was finished earlier this week and is somewhere between the VW factory and the dealer, though I suspect it is still in Germany.
If it was finished this week it will still be en route to the exit port. You should ask your dealer for status updates as they progress and the little pdf to see where it is.

Sounds your dealer was either inexperienced or dishonest in your delivery expectation.

I don't think that he is either of those things. For an order placed in April, September or October probably seemed a realistic build month, and to guarantee delivery by the end of March the following year to secure an order not wholly unreasonable.

It is possible that he overlooked the agreement that the van is to be used as a road demonstrator for 3 months prior to delivery to me, and that a delivery date by 31 March means a delivery date to the garage of 31 January. (My understanding is that a sale of a demonstrator has to be owned by the dealer for a minimum of 3 months.) However, I think that it is unlikely that this was overlooked, as the comment says, "delivery as ex demo by 31/3/17 - mileage no more than 5000."

If it was finished this week it will still be en route to the exit port. You should ask your dealer for status updates as they progress and the little pdf to see where it is.

The update on Wednesday was that it was on its way to Emden.
Further updates have been promised, but won't make it get here any quicker!

OK! Obviously hit a nerve here. Didn't mean to, but "van" IMHO is just wrong.
Why? I
The update on Wednesday was that it was on its way to Emden.
Further updates have been promised, but won't make it get here any quicker!
Agree with that, sometimes they sit at port for quite a while, mine was at Hull for nearly 2 weeks.

I don't think that he is either of those things. For an order placed in April, September or October probably seemed a realistic build month, and to guarantee delivery by the end of March the following year to secure an order not wholly unreasonable.

It is possible that he overlooked the agreement that the van is to be used as a road demonstrator for 3 months prior to delivery to me, and that a delivery date by 31 March means a delivery date to the garage of 31 January. (My understanding is that a sale of a demonstrator has to be owned by the dealer for a minimum of 3 months.) However, I think that it is unlikely that this was overlooked, as the comment says, "delivery as ex demo by 31/3/17 - mileage no more than 5000."
I still maintain the dealer is up to something. You would most likely have paid the same to get a brand new vehicle. Why would they demo first? Depending on circumstances a demo fan be 180 days. Why would a dealer sell a demo that quick if its their only one, they have nothing to sell from.
You could secure a new vehicle with 50 miles for 1st March. Sounds fishy.

Back